Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

power cooling and reliability

+2
nomad
GTI-R US
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1power cooling and reliability Empty power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 2:30 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

mainly bigger power cars

was talking to gtir russ on phone this morning and had a very interesting conversation with regard to using too big a radiator which could in theory actually cause higher temps than one say half the size due to fact that air will not pass so freely, plus this will cause under bonnet temps to rise also (mainly track use here or high speed motorway driving)

come to the conclusion that theres so many things that need cooling that you would have oil coolers everywhere such as gearbox, rear diff, power steering but in order to run some of these you would need electrical pumps which in turn would put more loading on the alternator and engine which would then cause further loss of power and higher engine temps due to the extra loading.

so conclusion to our whacky in depth conversation was to keep things simple and bollox to all ive written above Laughing

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 2:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Or you could try the imigrant method employ a midget cosovan for next to nothings place a little seat where the battery used to sit and nick a mcdonalds straw next time your at the drive through and tell him every time you here a woosh noise blow through the straw at the rad and other various hotspots i know its a cheap way of doing things but fuck me its a ressesion lol

3power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 3:33 pm

buckym120

buckym120

The only problem with the midget kosovan is that eventually he'd want his family to move over and live with him and this would add even more weight to the heavy front end, causing an even bigger understeer issue.....

4power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 3:36 pm

the vamp

the vamp

Razz you boys have lost the plot lmao / and bob you have plenty of work to be getting on with ..................................... ya know

5power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 5:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ermm thats so not right the family would come over and each one will then go to another r. ..... You have to think about these things properly bucky tut i think its a far well thought out plan Laughing

6power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 5:11 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its a very dark and twisted place in my head colin i lost the plot a very long time ago lol

7power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 20th July 2012, 7:21 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

mine is just standard but i was having problems with the car going into safe mode, was suggested that i took off the rubber around the bonnet vent where the top mount was and anything else that was restricting air flow, as it was obviously not letting enough cold air into the engine bay and causing det, seemed to have sorted the problem :S

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

8power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 21st July 2012, 7:33 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

gtirus wrote:mainly bigger power cars

was talking to gtir russ on phone this morning and had a very interesting conversation with regard to using too big a radiator which could in theory actually cause higher temps than one say half the size due to fact that air will not pass so freely, plus this will cause under bonnet temps to rise also (mainly track use here or high speed motorway driving)

come to the conclusion that theres so many things that need cooling that you would have oil coolers everywhere such as gearbox, rear diff, power steering but in order to run some of these you would need electrical pumps which in turn would put more loading on the alternator and engine which would then cause further loss of power and higher engine temps due to the extra loading.

so conclusion to our whacky in depth conversation was to keep things simple and bollox to all ive written above Laughing
i am not saying dont renew parts or upgrade. Brakes been the first thing. But honestly anything majour changing away from how nissan intended this car to be is in my opion a step in the wrong direction.As mentioned by all means change every part of the car ecu intercooler, turbo elbow the list is endless but its hard to put into words what i mean a recent small example i read was the pipe across the rocker cover having a much needed restrictor in without it the car was fine the lad put it on track it was throwing alot of oil into catch can he tried all sorts before he realised then refitted problem solved

9power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 21st July 2012, 7:07 pm

in line restricor advice was from me, another thing that handles a lot of power is the standard uk rad, alot of people modify nissan parts and make things worse.

10power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 11th September 2012, 12:18 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

digging this thread back up as i think ive found a way to make the car much more reliable on road and track but not saying anything untill ive tested it on my car over the winter, although funnily enough mine has been pretty reliable this year which makes a welcome change.

11power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 11th September 2012, 7:40 pm

Well what do you expect you built it to my engine spec bob........all the testing and analysing has paid off over the past 4 years

12power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 11th September 2012, 9:50 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

the engines got nothing to do with my new plan dan

opening the waterways up has helped engine temps and smoothing the block has no doubt helped but a lot of the add on bits like the g spec pump pulley was my idea as mine was the first to be fitted with one as far as im aware.
also kierons pistons which i bought have helped i think due to the extra thick crowns they were made with.

its gonna be a whole new ball game with what ive got in mind though

13power cooling and reliability Empty Re: power cooling and reliability 12th September 2012, 6:48 am

Exactly , the reliability I,m on about, the opening up of the water ways, polishing the inside of the block...........the areas I spent ages looking at because of the problems we had, cavitation caused by the water pump being over sped is well known on any road based engine and there are 2 ways of over coming it either the larger pump pulley of a smaller crank pulley ( which is what I have fitted as that also lowers parasitic losses too) ,

Will type more later as I have to go to work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum