Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project

+16
nomad
shroom
PartyPete
GTI-R US
ducie54
johnboy
Mr B
gtir_woody
burrows1980
Cosmic73
Bandyleg
GTIR James
wrc
pulsarmoley
splmum
buckym120
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 20]

26Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 28th October 2015, 10:03 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

What a twat of job removing the inlet manifold is. F^%k me they dont make it easy with that Y bracket in there.
cant fix it
Anyway finally did and it felt like lifting the FA cup
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Image_zpslkenkjhn
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Image_zpsf2znjiyd

27Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 28th October 2015, 10:10 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Lol fareplay. Dont put the Y bracket back on. Its no needed.
Unless you want to keep your pulsar totally stock that is lol

Whats the plan for the inlet? Just strip and clean?

28Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 28th October 2015, 11:27 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

My plan is to just clean it and fit new injectors
I've read posts about not fitting the Y bracket but i'm on the side of refitting it if i can.
If anyones interested here's the reason why, but be warned its long winded....

I work in the analysis dept. at Cummins and we spend a lot if time designing and analysing brackets similar to this.
This isn't to make sure they can carry the load (which they could many times over) but to make sure the vibration from the engine doesn't coincide with a natural frequency of the sub-assembly which could cause it to resonate, generate high fatigue stresses which could lead to crack formation.
By adding brackets and stiffening the assembly, its natural frequency gets higher and cant coincide with the lower engine frequency.

29Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 28th October 2015, 11:30 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

My Y bracket has been off since 1998 and no cracks in sight Wink

30Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 28th October 2015, 11:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yep bin that y bracket it makes jobs so much easier like ..det sensor ....starter motor ...not to mention a little wieght saving ....

31Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 9:50 am

shroom

shroom

Isnt it in the motorsport documentation (forgot the name) to remove it for rallying anyway so cant be that important.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

32Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 2:18 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

This morning i spoke to one of our lead analysts. He's also big into the modified RX7 scene and said he also misses loads of stock parts off his Mazda too.
He also confirmed the bracket is there to increase the stiffness as i suspected, and removing it could slightly increase the risk of fretting at the gasket interfaces after long term use.
He also reckons its Nissan being over cautious and removing it won't make any difference in the short/middle term.
I reckon that's good enough for me.
I'll leave off the Y bracket.
thumbsup

33Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 6:57 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I was going to add remember these are rally bread cars going on road or smooth track so bracing is all over engeerneered

34Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 8:57 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Well i hate to say i told you so .... Laughing

35Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 9:24 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

nomad wrote:Well i hate to say i told you so .... Laughing
Fair enough, i got there in the end.  Very Happy

36Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 29th October 2015, 9:35 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Haha at least you did the right thing and looked into it/questioned it. The rest of us just left it off as its a complete fucker to work around, regardless of any consequences long term.

37Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 1:18 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Just got a call from Midland turbos,
Housing shows signs of cracking which is common and not an issue, phew.
Compressor wheel has impact damage and needs replacing,
Cost inc collection, replaced parts and delivery wasn't too bad either, K'ching
Very Happy

I might celebrate by removing my head tonight! (Cyl head that is)
Smile

38Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 2:01 pm

shroom

shroom

Glad you got it all sorted (turbo wise)

A dark garage with a box of tissues and some hand cream, you will soon remove the head!

39Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 2:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Hand cream .... Shocked ..... thats some posh head removal .... Laughing

40Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 4:20 pm

shroom

shroom

Spit may tarnish the alloy Laughing

41Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 4:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Not if you rub it quick enough Razz

42Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 10:19 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Last time the missus caught me in a dark room with towels and hand cream she banned from the internet...Again
whip

43Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th October 2015, 10:30 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

The saying goes necessity is the root of all invention.
That was true tonight when i tried to remove the head bolts and realised i didn't have a 10mm allen socket. Tried a 10mm allen key but it wouldnt budge
loopy

My brain wave was to hacksaw thu the allen key and slot it into a 10mm socket which worked a treat.
Very Happy
The shitty outer bolts were a pig to remove tho.

In the workshop manual it shows an outer bolt (number 5) at the inlet side of cyl 1, which i simply could not find??
I searched for 10 mins but i was stumped, can anyone confirm this please?

http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=142

44Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 31st October 2015, 12:17 am

buckym120

buckym120

Are they not the 10mm bolts which come up from underneath, one on each corner?

45Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 31st October 2015, 9:40 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

you're right, but i could only see 3 of them not the 4 shown in the manual.
I'll have another look this morning..
Cheers

46Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 31st October 2015, 5:12 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

yep, that bolt no. 5 doesn't exist.
Shocked
Anyway after 1/2 an dicking about trying to pull off the waterpump hose, the head came clean off.
cheers

The bores, imo look really good, there's no step indicating heavy wear and I can still see the honing marks. There's a bit of carbon buildup but it wipes straight off.
Very Happy

I'm not an expert and might be missing something so would appreciate anyones opinion on these high res pics.
Cheers
anyone?

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2577_zps1ux95lax
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2579_zpsvukotree
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2580_zpsjequ8qca
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2581_zpszbdf3pan
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2582_zpsostapvz8
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2583_zpsedzo4lkf
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2584_zpsmtryixjc

Shall I replace this pipe connection??
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2585_zps0qjtr0mj
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2586_zpskshaicfn
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2587_zps9mxmav5p
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2588_zpsiqirsule
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2590_zps3fvaipgr
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2591_zpsdop0vqwo
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2592_zpsayouwrzv
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2593_zpsxgm39xct
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2595_zpswgburqa9
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2596_zpsbvrlzw1o

47Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 31st October 2015, 7:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

you got a crack in the head between plug hole & exhaust valve on cyl 3 !
lot of oil in that cylinder too !

48Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 31st October 2015, 9:08 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Good spot Mr B,
thumbsup
Just cleaned up the area and had a closer look. Theres similar cracks in cyl 2 and 4 aswell,
Are these show stoppers or quite normal?

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2599_zpsebdn18rs

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2600_zpsfryctgre

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 DSCN2602_zpsmd1jygum

49Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 1st November 2015, 12:05 am

shroom

shroom

So that bolt you were looking for was missing?

Generally I think the consensus is that if you have cracks there its no good. Someone will be able to confirm but cracks in the head are no good.

Glad you are moving ahead nicely with the strip down. What will be your main aim to replace as much as possible and slap some forged pistons in it and a suitable head gasket?

50Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 1st November 2015, 9:42 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Hi Shroom, that bolt wasnt just missing but the machined hole and thread for it didnt exist either.
Cyl 3 didnt have oil in it as mentioned in an earlier post,  but some coolant had run in from removing the head.
My plan is to repair the small cracks in the head (if possible). Ill carry on and strip out the pistons and inspect them and the crank. If all is well i'll rebuild with new shells and piston rings.
I'll also fit new oil, water pumps etc.
My eventual aim isnt to maximise engine power but to end up with something that'll be reliable for a good fews years to come, so ill be happy with refitting any parts that are within spec,.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum