Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The everlasting project....

+3
gtir_woody
Stu
houghy_1
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The everlasting project.... Empty The everlasting project.... 8th April 2015, 10:46 am

houghy_1

I thought it was about time to share my.project...
So I bought my first R in 2004,a J reg in Ivory White, and in that time it had been on and off the road for various reasons so after its last stint on the road, winter 2011 I decided to re-shell. 

The everlasting project.... MyRresprayed1

I bought a black M reg off bob which looked a lot cleaner underneath than mine,that was in April 2013 

The everlasting project.... Null_zpsa6f1ef70

2The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 8th April 2015, 12:53 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Show us the progress pics then Smile

3The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 8th April 2015, 1:45 pm

houghy_1

Stu wrote:Show us the progress pics then Smile
 Will do I'm at work right now

4The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 8th April 2015, 8:21 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

How bad was the Ivory white one? Must have seen better days.

5The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 8th April 2015, 10:23 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Is it finished now matt?

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 9th April 2015, 8:08 pm

houghy_1

GTI-R US wrote:Is it finished now matt?
Erm,further away than it was and 51 day deadline to get it up n running in time for the 25th anniversary meet :-/

7The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 11:44 am

houghy_1

Not really much progress just a plan and lots of new parts

So after losing interest and motivation due to various reasons including personal stuff,I've now got the motivation to get going on it.
I won't lie I've got a MASSIVE mountain to climb! I've set a deadline of 1st June so I can iron out any problems before the 25th Anniversary meet.
Here's where I'm up to....

I knew my turbo needing refurbing so off it went to Bernie's Blowers for a rebuild(thanks to Gaz's link),which needed new turbine shaft,bearing housing and an upgrade to 360 degree thrust bearing...
The everlasting project.... Received_m_mid_1408723101346_59d147a2e24e837058_0_zpstwhrkybd

Very worn seal groove,bernie said he's seen this sort of wear often with T28's but never in that direction :-/

The everlasting project.... Received_m_mid_1409324480968_4f01046412225c6b10_0_zpsctepitm3

All back and looking like new...

The everlasting project.... Received_m_mid_1409324455133_48d09af704b6145e99_0_zps2zkmgtop

8The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 11:51 am

houghy_1

So next was an unexpected purchase in December was a forged engine out of a well known,on the fb groups, grey flared arch pulsar. So off to bob with my 100k engine For an exchange,I never knew the pulsar engine was such a snug fit in the spare wheel well of a pug 307 :-)
The everlasting project.... DSC_0016_8_zpsmylfagdf

9The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 12:17 pm

houghy_1

So over time I've been buying parts and lately it's been all front end related....

Whiteline front and rear ARB'S 
Whiteline front underbrace 
Whiteline rear strut brace 
Cusco front upper strut brace 

The everlasting project.... DSC_0058_zpsgkrfowrb

Also picked up nearly full car powerflex bushes off eBay quite cheaply,all brand new
Had to buy subframe and engine mounts to complete the set.
Also bought the superpro rear wishbone castor bush and also the gear bushes by energy suspension from canada
The everlasting project.... DSC_0067_9_zpsrvuha9mb

Last edited by houghy_1 on 7th June 2015, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

10The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 12:22 pm

houghy_1

Also, bought quite a few things off Import Car Parts 
Genuine nissan steering rack ends
track rod ends
Ball joints
Front drop link stabilisers
Steering rack gaiters
Clutch master cylinder
Oil filter
Fuel filter

The everlasting project.... DSC_0069_9_zpss2wzyorfNext to complete that list will be the brake master cylinder.

Last edited by houghy_1 on 7th June 2015, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

11The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 12:26 pm

houghy_1

Off bob I bought his used Helix clutch,plenty of meat left on it aswell as a sunny double thickness rad and twin slimline fansThe everlasting project.... DSC_0064_zpsivolvncq

New oils, Fuchs titan 10w50 and diff oil 
The everlasting project.... DSC_0065_8_zpsesbmfalt

Last edited by houghy_1 on 7th June 2015, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

12The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th April 2015, 12:32 pm

houghy_1

At the moment I've started cleaning the bay for my own reasons and a bit of a rust killing and repainting here and there at the front
Before pics..

The everlasting project.... DSC_0092_3_zpsmzuqusbrMore to follow....

Last edited by houghy_1 on 7th June 2015, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

13The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th May 2015, 6:02 pm

houghy_1

A bit more work done....
Before...The everlasting project.... DSC_0159_1_zpswvqkaumk

After...The everlasting project.... DSC_0110_2_zpsmhco63jv

Cleaned,painted, new ball joints,new drop links and powerflex bushes and superflex rear caster bush for the wishbone.
A few more bits that I've cleaned up and painted,to some it's pointless but I like clean :-D...The everlasting project.... DSC_0108_3_zpssovwjyks
Fuel.rail has gone silver so has the whiteline Underbrace to match the front and rear whiteline ARB's and also the Cusco strut brace has gone silver for now. The R33 GTR intercooler has gone back to black.

14The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th May 2015, 8:24 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Wow
Thats gonna be one clean gtir Smile
Mine has solid mounds and bushes Smile
Need to get started on stripping and painting my parts soon.

15The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th May 2015, 8:40 pm

houghy_1

Stu wrote:Wow
Thats gonna be one clean gtir Smile
Mine has solid mounds and bushes Smile
Need to get started on stripping and painting my parts soon.
Only the front end will be clean ish lol thanks stu.
More to follow When I get chance.

16The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th May 2015, 9:03 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looks great mate. Is your R in the garage? Looks like it would be a tough time opening the doors and getting out of the car Laughing

17The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 18th May 2015, 11:47 pm

houghy_1

gtir_woody wrote:Looks great mate. Is your R in the garage? Looks like it would be a tough time opening the doors and getting out of the car Laughing
Yeah it's in a garage and space is tight,luckily the roof space is boarded and has lighting,which is where all my interior is :-D

18The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 19th May 2015, 8:54 am

houghy_1

A few more before and afters..The everlasting project.... DSC_0092_3_zpsmzuqusbr
After cleaning the bay rust was visible :-(....

The everlasting project.... DSC_0117_3_zpsbfzctjsr

The everlasting project.... DSC_0118_zpszdidonvv
The everlasting project.... DSC_0116_zpselvzcbvbThe everlasting project.... DSC_0111_zps4fifz83c
Spot what's missing on this side???? I've no idea why but it wasn't rustproofed very well...
The everlasting project.... DSC_0119_3_zpsugmrrxyd

Last edited by houghy_1 on 7th June 2015, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

19The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 19th May 2015, 9:02 am

houghy_1

A few more hidden horrors that I've tried sorting without getting dragged into a full on restoration job...

The everlasting project.... DSC_0116_zpselvzcbvb

The everlasting project.... DSC_0118_zpszdidonvv

20The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 19th May 2015, 9:35 am

houghy_1

So now to start cleaning back,minimum grinding etc then applying Rustbuster FE-23 to any that's left then seal and repaint. A mixture of hammerite and Nissan KH3 where visible...

The everlasting project.... DSC_0052_10_zpskxtxl38e

The everlasting project.... DSC_0087_6_zpsihhxfhvp

The everlasting project.... DSC_0088_6_zpseuooymye
The everlasting project.... DSC_0090_6_zpsafihaink

The everlasting project.... DSC_0091_5_zpsaaf06poy
I painted down the chassis leg where the track rod ends go and give the hubs a little once over even the driveshafts,nothing major just a clean and paint to freshen the look up a bit

21The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 19th May 2015, 9:58 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

That's very clean! Great work...
wish I could motivate myself to do work like this.

22The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 7th June 2015, 10:34 am

houghy_1

Little by little I'm making progress...

Fitted new ball joints, new drop links,Whiteline front ARB, wishbone,all with new polybushes.
Gearbox all cleaned up sprayed up,mountings all painted and fitted back together.
New 280 Clio 182 discs with Mintex 1144 pads to replace my cracked d&g wilwood discs.

Gearbox before and after...

The everlasting project.... Screenshot_2015-06-06-15-58-22_zpsgyfflszw

The everlasting project.... DSC_0071_zpshxdu5brv

The everlasting project.... DSC_0070_zps83iitqju

Engine mount back in,new clutch master cylinder fitted...
The everlasting project.... DSC_0073_zpsilemx8o8

23The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 7th June 2015, 11:15 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Gearbox looks super fresh thumbsup

24The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 7th June 2015, 12:32 pm

houghy_1

Also new OE nissan steering rack inner ends with new tab washers and track rod ends.
Been over to see my old pulsar for bits n pieces including my apexi s-afc,walbro fuel pump with wiring and relay,old washer bottle and battery relocation brackets etc.along with spare parts and nuts n bolts etc

25The everlasting project.... Empty Re: The everlasting project.... 25th June 2015, 11:41 pm

houghy_1

Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere...

Bob's used Helix clutch has been fitted,box and engine back together,but I've left the bastard bolt out,so any future box or clutch issues shouldn't be an engine out job...
Engine now on its mounts,oil separator back on in place if the straight pipe that was there before,changed the piping on the inlet back to the standard piping.
Fitted all my samco hoses to the back of the block.
Alternator on with belt on. And tonight I've fitted my turbo and manifold back onto the engine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum