Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

turbo oil feed and return problem

+4
grim_d
johnny gtir
GTIR James
ROB_IOW
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty turbo oil feed and return problem 2nd March 2015, 7:52 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Fitted my gt2871R to my manifold and then bolted to the head  and came accross a few problems

Fistly once it's all bolted to the head the oil return doesn't line up
turbo oil feed and return problem  Turbo%201_zpsi3ooddl3
turbo oil feed and return problem  Turbo%204_zpsa6tyj6v8

Now obviously this won't do .  
So what are my options?

And also the oil inlet has very little room
turbo oil feed and return problem  Turbo%202_zps9kwcrl58
What can i get for this? i need to fit an oil restricter somewhere in here

turbo oil feed and return problem  Turbo%203_zpsjexbclgc

GTIR James

Oil feed, you need a banjoo tight fitting hose, the restrictor is in the banjoo bolt.
Return. What I did was remove the part from the turbo & elongate the holes to give you a better angle & chop a bit off & rebead the end.
Will have a look see if I have any pics

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I was thinking straight adaptor for oil return and sometimes that samco hose the type that dont kink works well. Are you sure you need a restrictor as all the ones in the uk are normally supplied with them from ones i have bought and enquired about. You not fitting braided lines on turbo ?

grim_d

grim_d

I had a similar issue with oil drain and the general consensus was to chop the pipes and put bit of aeroquip hose on it.

It does work, but it does weep a bit so I would be interested in a proper solution, I didn't have time to deal with it.

a couple of AN hose fittings might work well.

Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/171381042093?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0 on the turbo and an appropriate size one into the block might work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motamec-AN-6-AN6-JIC-to-M16x1-5-Metric-Thread-Alloy-Fitting-Adapter-/291371728262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d71bbd86

Please note those links are just examples and not the correct size.

Whytie

Whytie

On the 2871r you can just make the holes slightly bigger and a bet angle and the hose will go on no probs.

The 3071r is much more tight, I fitted the same as you grim, then chopped a stock return pipe down and it was a nice fit.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Is possible work the oil drain fitting as mentioned but it not the best.
Changing the flange plate to a threaded fitting is way forward & use teflon braided line to original block barb or change that to threaded fitting too, using threaded fittings you can use angled fitting on line if needed (-10AN hose,fittings work well)
For oil feed you want -4AN line with banjo fitting & if you do not have the banjo bolt restrictor buy one as the 54C feeds more pressure than the BB cartridge requires.
Picture of banjo bolt restrictor is in other thread.
Any decent hose shop can make up lines & supply basic fittings, banjo bolt restrictor & flange plate are bit more special so good turbo shop or online is way to go & easily found.
0.9 or 1mm is the norm restrictor size.

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Surely fitting a restrictor before the turbo will only reduce the flow not the pressure? I work with hydraulics and when we want to restrict ram speeds we use restrictors but they maintain pressure.

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

grim_d

grim_d

Garrett themselves are who recommended the restrictor if oil pressure at maxiumum rpm is greater than 45psi.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/oil_restrictor

9turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 2nd March 2015, 10:16 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Reduces pressure in the BB assembly as reduces flow/volume The BB assembly has the drainage hole so pressure is kind of balanced between volume of oil supplied & the drainage speed .

do like the charcoal colored exhaust wrap, standard manifold looks quite grand wrapped like that.

10turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 2nd March 2015, 10:23 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Mr B wrote:do like the charcoal colored exhaust wrap, standard manifold looks quite grand wrapped like that.

It really does, making me regret not pulling the trigger on replacing mine with black wrap last year!

11turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 3rd March 2015, 9:10 am

johnboy

johnboy

pulsarmoley wrote:Surely fitting a restrictor before the turbo will only reduce the flow not the pressure? I work with hydraulics and when we want to restrict ram speeds we use restrictors but they maintain pressure.

The difference is that there is an open drain after the turbo so pressure won't build. It's just maintaining enough flow through the bearing without building pressure on the seals.

12turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 3rd March 2015, 10:24 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Would this work?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390915712817&alt=web

13turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 3rd March 2015, 10:26 am

grim_d

grim_d

Yes as long as the bolt centres are correct. I know they do seel correct size stuff as I bought a drain gasket from them.

14turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 3rd March 2015, 11:51 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If a 44mm flange it will be correct but it only a push on spur & you can turn your current one into push on spur with one cut & adding a bead.
I prefer the threaded flanges to take swivel nut hose ends but have seen push on work ok & it easy do with just needing quality house & clips.
turbo oil feed and return problem  Oil_drain

15turbo oil feed and return problem  Empty Re: turbo oil feed and return problem 3rd March 2015, 8:30 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

johnboy wrote:
pulsarmoley wrote:Surely fitting a restrictor before the turbo will only reduce the flow not the pressure? I work with hydraulics and when we want to restrict ram speeds we use restrictors but they maintain pressure.

The difference is that there is an open drain after the turbo so pressure won't build. It's just maintaining enough flow through the bearing without building pressure on the seals.

I hadn't thought about that Rolling Eyes

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum