Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal

+9
shroom
splmum
gtir_woody
Digitalfaze
jaypjay
BEBB GTIR
Stu
GTI-R US
nomad
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 2:55 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

It's driver side

52cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 3:10 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

nomad wrote:It can be done either way mate ive use a plastic bottle before like a ribena one just remember to turn the boot inside out then slide it on  otherwise its the wrong way round .... the only thing i would say with those is it makes the boot loose on the small end once you stretched it .... what side are you doing  mate is it gearbox side with tripod joint ???

My mate just pushed it on the small hole first. And it's stretched up and over the funnel and was the right way around lol
I stood in awe. Laughing

53cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 4:35 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

What a pain of a job,
Tried to push the CV joint back onto the shaft but it just wobbled about, took 20 mins to eventually get it centre and hammer it on. The grease started oozing back out which made sliding the rubber over the CV joint lip a 10min job.
Then tried to fix the clip on, but the one they give you is too small, so now i have to go out and buy a jubilee clip!  Evil or Very Mad

54cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 4:49 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I use wide nylon cable ties (good quality ones) as hate the metal bands, mix that with proper decent boots with oem style lips and they never slip off .

55cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 5:26 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Turns out you need a special tool for the type of clips they supplied ffs!
Would cable ties pass on MOT? Ive got loads of those.

56cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 6:19 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

All cable ties mate .... i prefer the nylon ones myself .... i always use them on boots never had one come off and passed every mot ive had on various cars ive done for customers or mine ....

57cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 6:22 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Stu wrote:
nomad wrote:It can be done either way mate ive use a plastic bottle before like a ribena one just remember to turn the boot inside out then slide it on  otherwise its the wrong way round .... the only thing i would say with those is it makes the boot loose on the small end once you stretched it .... what side are you doing  mate is it gearbox side with tripod joint ???

My mate just pushed it on the small hole first. And it's stretched up and over the funnel and was the right way around lol
I stood in awe. Laughing

Yeah little end on first but if you turn it inside out then slide it on the cone you can use the big end to hold onto and push it up the cone if that makes sense ...

58cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 7:59 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

nomad wrote:
Stu wrote:

I stood in awe. Laughing

Yeah little end on first but if you turn it inside out then slide it on the cone you can use the big end to hold onto and push it up the cone if that makes sense ...
Yeah that makes sense mate.
Gonna get myself one.
I bought new gators 12 months or so ago but couldn't be arsed to swap them over because of taking the cvs apart lol
Now I don't have to Smile

59cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 8:10 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I never have any bother splitting cv's, rag over end to catch it and the grease and clamp shaft in vice and use a brass drift rod and large hammer and knock it off in seconds with rotating blows right in tight to splines on the spider ring.

60cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 8:18 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Cosmic73 wrote:Turns out you need a special tool for the type of clips they supplied ffs!
Would cable ties pass on MOT? Ive got loads of those.

Cable ties are fine for mot, could even use wire in emergency and it will pass.
Don't use the stainless ties as they hard get tight enough (my experience from ones I tried), quality large nylon ties work well and last years.

61cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal - Page 3 Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 25th April 2017, 9:19 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I've had one come off that cable tied, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the cable tie. That was on my RB Holden Gemini, I'm sure it was the raw power Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum