Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal

+9
shroom
splmum
gtir_woody
Digitalfaze
jaypjay
BEBB GTIR
Stu
GTI-R US
nomad
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 29th April 2012, 11:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

ok today i removed my diveshaft and replaced my cv joint as it had alot of play due to a torn gator from when i got my car so this will cover inner cv gator renewal,outer gator renewal,and cv joint renewal. before i start this how to this is how i done mine and other views on my methods may alter from someone elses anyway this is how i did this task.                     first step will be to uncrack the wheel nuts then raise the car and make sure its secure with an axle stand i placed mine under the inner arb bush mount . now take the wheel off   and remove the split pin and cover like so     cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14141638 cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14141700  next to do is undo the hubnut i used a screwdriver in the disc against the caliper bracket to stop the nu from just turning cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14142247now unwind the hubnut until it gets to the end of the thread of the driveshaft and give it a tap with a hammer to make sure its not siezed obviously you can just try to push it inwards with your hand to check first cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14142405then once the driveshaft feels free remove the hubnut and washer  next step is to undo the hub itself i choose to remove the bolts from the strut as i didnt want to split the bottom balljiont  wich would be the other method cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14143111now in my case the hub is free and just about has enough play to pull the driveshaft end through the hub cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14143437next i cut  the outer cv boot off fully and wiped away as much grease as possible it then should like this cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14144925i then used a hammer to and tapped the cv joint off of the slpined piece of driveshaft if you  are just replacing  the cvboot i would take great care in striking the cv joint  use a rubber mallet or a piece of wood  as you dont want to damage it. you should now have something looking like  this  cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14145156 note the  snap ring that im taking off is because i have a new in my kit so if your just replacing the outer cv boot no need to take this off. next as i thought the inner driveshaft gator looked shabby i took the chance to replace this at the same time so i cut the cv boot off you can just snip the big tie on the boot i cut it off so you can see everything in what your dealing with  cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-14145825 so now pull the whole driveshaft out from the car  next to replace the inner cv boot get a pair of circlip pliers and remove the circlip cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27180044next with the crclip out of the way you can withdraw the tripod bearing mine came off by just pushing with my fingers be careful not to fling it off or drop it cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27180337now all you have to do is slide the gator on the shaft the next the tripod bearing  and circlip job done  next job was to fit the cv boot on the other end cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27181740and now fit the new snap ring or if you didnt get a new one then its already on there lol now take the new cv joint  and slide it hard down onto the driveshaft you should almost feel it clip in then just try to pull it off to make sure the snapring is seated cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27181829now fill the joint with grease and push the gater onto the joint and put and do the ties oncv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27182433 now next is to put the driveshaft onto the car by sliding the inner joint on first note i have not put any grease in this joint or put any ties on as its easier to does this later on cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27185955now push the cv joint into the hub once through  put the bolts in that was removed from the suspension strut  and tighten back upthis will hold it in place now take the washer and nut and put these on  cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27191309 and tighten the hubnut dont forget to wedge the disc to aid the thing from spinning  and now the split pin cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 2012-04-27191402 next go to the inner joint fill with grease and put the ties on .now put the wheel back on and wheel nuts jack it down and final tighten of wheel nuts and job done .

2cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 30th April 2012, 1:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Next job i think will be sealing the sump and rear diff i may do the how to's on these if wanted its just alot of work taking pics uploading them and sorting it out lol .

3cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 30th April 2012, 1:57 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

good write up leighton cheers

only just two points really
1) sometimes the shafts are tight in the splines so your best off using a copper/hide type mallet to avoid any damage to the shaft end thread.
2) not all inner cv joints are the same....some have big ball bearings in them and if you yank the inner shaft out the bearings go flying everywhere
so as leighton said, clean off and determine what you have before ripping it apart

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

4cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 30th April 2012, 2:41 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Great write up mate Smile

another job done = 1 step closer to finisheing the car Laughing

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

5cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 30th April 2012, 4:17 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

what boots did u get after nomad?

6cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 30th April 2012, 5:21 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thanks bob and i never knew there was different types as this is the first pulsar ive worked on lol cheers stu i dont know about one step closer to finishing more like one step closer to going mad lol . i got my outer cv boot from jap parts there seems to be an abundance of outer boots from different companys but as for the inner boots its a rare item now i spoke to adl blueprint out of stock and dont know if and when they will be doing them . i did abit of research on these and the 2.0 200sx and skyline use the same boot if that makes it easier to find whilst searching part number ADN18170 and nissan part number 39156KA i manged to match the inner boot at a local motor factors and i got lucky and took the last one .

7cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 1st April 2014, 2:15 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

Nice one nomad. Where did u get your cv's from ? good quality ?

So many out there is huge differences in prices.

8cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 27th November 2014, 1:21 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

so how did you get the inner boot on? did you need to remove the whole drive shaft?

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

9cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 1st July 2015, 8:22 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I was going to buy these for the job or should I just get pliers? What's better, thought these might come to handy for other things.

cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Image

10cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 1st July 2015, 11:08 am

splmum

splmum

Just get the pliers, there is a pic above with the nose in the circlip, easy to manipulate.

11cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 1st July 2015, 8:29 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

No worries, pliers it is Smile

12cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 6:21 pm

shroom

shroom

What size is the hub nut guys is it 32 or 34 I cant remember, I did have a socket for it but god knows were it has gone lol

13cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 7:24 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

32mm, deep socket tends be best if it smaller drive socket.

14cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 8:02 pm

shroom

shroom

Cheers big ears!

15cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 8:54 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

In a while crocodile

16cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 8:59 pm

shroom

shroom

Stay loose bull moose

17cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 9:04 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Moose there's a mouse loose about this housee

18cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 9:33 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

shroom wrote:What size is the hub nut guys is it 32 or 34 I cant remember, I did have a socket for it but god knows were it has gone lol
I have just bought this one Tom.
Cheapest i could find mate.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151847848590&alt=web

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

19cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 16th October 2015, 10:31 pm

shroom

shroom

Cheers Stu, I will probably pop into halfrauds tomorrow and get one as I will be doing it this weekend!

20cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 3:20 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Fooking annoying greasy job this will be Laughing

cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal IMG_2565

21cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 10:31 am

shroom

shroom

Yeah I couldnt be bothered so paid someone to do it for me lol

22cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 10:49 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Even more pain in the arse when you fit the wrong boots Laughing

23cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 10:52 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

lieghton reckons it isnt that bad, we will see Laughing

24cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 11:00 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

its not tbh, getting the spider off I found the hardest out the lot. Put the shaft in a large vice, just tapped it off with a drift, obviously take the circlip off first Laughing oh and mark spider and shaft so it goes back on the same as it came off! Putting it back on used a large socket on the end of the spider and tapped it back on.

25cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal Empty Re: cv joint/driveshaft gator renewal 28th November 2015, 9:04 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks for the tips burrows, probably get around to do this today.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum