Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cat overheat warning light

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cat overheat warning light  Empty Cat overheat warning light 19th September 2020, 4:55 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Just seeing if anyone has had this problem with there cars, just starting happening on my skyline, took out for drive the other night no traffic or anything so gave her a good spirited drive but a few days later this light appears on the dash and the car keeps stalling, turn the key off and on and she starts up again straight away??

Changed the spark plugs, and fuel filter, cleaned both Mafs and ordered 2 O2 sensors

Also I've noticed when she's playing up the water temp goes from 80 down to 65-75, as I've got aftermarket temp gauge which reads precise...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 19th September 2020, 7:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

interesting .
Couple ideas could be bad electrics, bad earth/power voltage drop causing issues or an actual running condition that is actually getting egt high .
As far as I remember on the the oem cat egt is much like the gtir and just a basic high temp switched warning light with no logic beyond that .
Aftermarket ecu can utilise it for other warning status .
If actual running condition is getting hot fuelling ratio and cat flow (if fitted) needs looking at .

under what conditions does it stall ?
does it only happen after driven hard and how quick does water temp drop (gradual or sudden change ?
Is ecu standard ?
Does it have cats fitted and cat egt actually fitted/plugged in ?
have you had any other odd electrical type gremlins ?

3Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 19th September 2020, 9:06 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Hi Mr B

Car plays up after 2 minutes stone cold or 30 minutes or driving

Sometimes water temp never gets to 80 degrees always around 70 degrees

4Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 19th September 2020, 9:08 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Also ecu I'm unsure but I've got power fc commander fitted, and I'm thinking the light is connected to commander as warning for something major 😓

No other gremlins tbf just fluctuating water temp, also worth mentioning when car does stall, it fires up straight away when you turn the key, so I'm thinking electrical fault and car is in limp mode

5Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 19th September 2020, 10:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yes on apexi system many set up that light for warning knock or injector duty
I would be checking knock sensor and fuelling ratio and coolant system thermostat control perhaps
Safe mode/power cut running could account for lowering temps too .
looking through pfc may highlight exact reason it triggering the dash light and help give direction for areas to diagnose pending on settings and values you review .

6Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 20th September 2020, 7:35 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Ok thanks will hand a look later in the week what it's saying, could it be thermostat playing up which is giving the water temp issues?

7Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 20th September 2020, 11:34 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Possible and worth looking at if other investigations are fruitless .
Does seem likely from remarks so far main issue going be wiring or electrical component related but ruling out all basics can be helpful, is also possible have more than 1 issue that interact together .
On older cars I found it useful check lot of basics as 20yr old parts or poor quality/wrong part replacements often found be an issue .

8Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 20th September 2020, 4:15 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Yes I agree, I try and only buy genuine parts now especially if there electrical

9Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 20th September 2020, 6:54 pm

ADSgtir

Low voltage causes the cat light on many Jap cars it could also cause temp error and other issues -
Check alternator output and voltage at fuse box

10Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 21st September 2020, 3:08 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

ADSgtir wrote:Low voltage causes the cat light on many Jap cars it could also cause temp error and other issues -
Check alternator output and voltage at fuse box

Ok thanks will do

11Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 22nd September 2020, 5:46 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

1st pic cold idle

Cat overheat warning light  Image120

Second pic 10 min blast

Cat overheat warning light  Image121

12Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 22nd September 2020, 5:47 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Car temp stayed on 73-73C cat warning light didn't come on

13Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 2:27 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

you looked through the controller menu to see what the cat light setup and triggers might be ?

14Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 6:06 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Not yet don't want to bugger around with it to much, need a user manual or summit

15Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 10:46 am

ADSgtir

It is possible the Apexi unit is using the CAT light as an EML warning light , I don’t know how it’s configured, but as a normal config without Apexi the CAT light is either blocked cat causing high temp or far more commonly- low voltage causing a false overtemp warning .

16Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 12:23 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

On the Apexi standard dash eml light is utilised.
In the menu other modes - etc - function select you can set the cat warning dash light to function as knock or injector warning function or even air flow sensor or O2 sensor I believe .
I've dealt with some and knock warning seem favourite but some like injector warning pending how hard the duty being push .
The other initial question is do you have cats and/or the temp sensor still physically fitted .
If I was diagnosing it first thing I do is quick visual checks see if got the sensor fitted and a look at the power fc etc menu see what setting it currently using .
Even if temp sensor present you would want manually jump it to see if still functional input as many times they just fitted for sake of being a bung .
Apexi not nicest work with for diagnosing faults but your fault seems likely easy one narrow down to power or grounds or an actual true sensor value triggering it .

17Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:21 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Don't you just love old Nissans, who needs hobbies lol

18Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:22 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Parameter table, knock is at 20 on 3k revs

Cat overheat warning light  Image122

19Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:23 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Mr B I have Sard Cat fitted with o2 sensor, and both temp sensors still fitted

Last edited by BEBB GTIR on 23rd September 2020, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

20Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:24 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

ADSgtir wrote:It is possible the Apexi unit is using the CAT light as an EML warning light , I don’t know how it’s configured, but as a normal config without Apexi the CAT light is either blocked cat causing high temp or far more commonly- low voltage causing a false overtemp warning .

When first stalling and cat light on, cat is not red hot same temp as exhaust as I felt it with the back of my hand

21Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:28 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

All sensors seem normal unless I'm wrong?? Just noticed as I was revving th engine the FC commander was dimming slightly, so whether the alternator is playing up but it's reading 14volts?

22Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 5:30 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Sorry for loads of replies but page keeps refreshing when writing a post 😅

23Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 23rd September 2020, 9:40 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

old NISSAN is the good life :-)
much more logical engineering than most euro junk of similar era.

If you lucky it be a main ground or power fretted/corroded .
And if luck continues it be visually noticeable  .
you could also try running additional electric loads and see if helps trigger the issues .
checking alternator ac ripple and testing full load amp output and regulated voltage would be quick way get an idea on alternator health

Try and look in the etc menu and see if and selections been made for warning lights so you know the operation and can evaluate all possibilities accurately .

24Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 24th September 2020, 6:17 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Thanks Mr B, will have a good look on Saturday

25Cat overheat warning light  Empty Re: Cat overheat warning light 29th September 2020, 4:13 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Cat overheat warning light  Image124

So found out how to see what warnings are programmed and it looks like in Japanese that the 02 sensors are set to warn the driver and knock and injector are turned off

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum