Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Warning Lights

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Warning Lights Empty Warning Lights 29th September 2016, 11:51 am

johnboy

johnboy

Got a strange problem.
After driving for 5 or 10 minutes the ABS light and red charging light both come on. After that they'll stay on most of the time but do sometimes go off and then on again. There are no ABS or ECU fault codes and it continues to charge even though the lights on. I've checked connections and earths and can't see a problem.
Looking at the circuit the lights do seem to be connected and linked to a 'sensor resistor'. I think I've found the resistor in the relay box on the drivers side wing - but what does it do?

My guess is an alternator problem when it warms up???

Warning Lights History026_zps29yi9lrg

2Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 29th September 2016, 12:13 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

First check your bottom pulley.
The outer ring may have detached from the inner rubber.

3Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 29th September 2016, 1:56 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Cheers Stu, just took the belt off and had a look at the pulley and think it's OK. Whether the light is on or off it's charging OK so everything must still be going round.

4Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 7th October 2016, 7:46 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

To me sounds like an earth fault or loose connection somewhere. Before I took mine off the road, my abs light would come on when cornering hard so that should be interesting

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

5Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 8th October 2016, 12:00 am

mike74

mike74

What voltage is it actually charging at when the light comes on? It might be the resistance of a wire going up when it / the engine heats up causing a voltage drop

6Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 14th October 2016, 12:06 pm

markface

Try disconnecting the alternator grey plug see if the lights go off?
Had this issue recently when my alternator gave up.

7Warning Lights Empty Re: Warning Lights 15th October 2016, 9:16 am

johnboy

johnboy

Only just noticed your thread on much the same fault which confirms what I thought about it being the alternator. I did change the alternator for a spare I had, but that didn't work at all so I put the old one back. (Don't know why I kept a dead alternator as a spare...)
Next time it does it I'll try the plug and see what happens but looks like I'll have to get another alternator and give that a try.
The charging voltage looks OK at about 14 to 14.5 volts and I've never seen it higher than that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum