Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My New GTiR

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My New GTiR Empty My New GTiR 20th August 2018, 11:29 am

Turbofinger

HI Guys!!! new member to this website. I recently acquired a 1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI R..... The guy who brought it down to me from Hokkaido, encountered a problem. The Car will not go into reverse!!!! the car was not driven for MANY years and I think it's the "Reverse Lockout" that happens when you go into 5th gear to prevent "race happy" idio...er...PEOPLE... from slamming it into reverse from 5th while traveling at high speeds.... wondering if any of you have EVERY encountered this problem, or if ANY of you know a link to a parts schematic of the transmission for the NISSAN PULSAR GTIR!!!! that I'm SO happy to own....THANK YOU (In advance) for any helpful tips!

2My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 20th August 2018, 6:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Welcome to the forum by the way ....Sounds right up your street Neil (cosmic) ...

3My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 20th August 2018, 7:30 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Hi and welcome to forum.
Not going into reverse is a new one, usually the issue tends to be the box staying in reverse when you try to move forward in 1st. Happens to mine quite often on really cold mornings.
The reverse interlock is situated just inside the gearbox on the selector shaft itself. If its been removed it wont be the cause of your problem.
When in neutral it should wiggle freely between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th, but when you push it further to the right towards the 5th/reverse location can you feel a little springy resistence?
If its solid, its a broken interlock part.

If not, What May have happened is that the reverse idler gear has rusted up a little. this is quite a weight and slides up the idler shaft as you move the shift lever into reverse itself.

I would drive about to get the box hot and see if that frees it up enough?
Failing that, there's an external bolt that holds the idler shaft in position that you could hit with a hammer to see if the shock releases it enough make it slide up?
My New GTiR Image10

4My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 20th August 2018, 8:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

schematics will be found in useful link section either in PDF files post or the user manuals post ...
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/f27-useful-links

5My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 6:28 am

Turbofinger

Wow. thanks, that's really helpful. pretty sure the reverse interlock hasn't been removed, can I get to it from inside the car or do I need to drop the gearbox? Thanx again, the pic was helpful as well

6My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 7:02 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Like I said it's inside the box so it has to be removed. Crying or Very sad

7My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 11:47 am

Turbofinger

Alright Sad bad news but thanks..... I got a mechanic....not able to drop the gearbox (tranny) as we call it (transmission) IK there's a gay joke in there...lol....I'M SO GREATFUL for your advise!!!! TYSM bro.

8My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 11:56 am

Turbofinger

one more question, is that gearbox, in the pic you sent, laying upright? or on it's head?

9My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 5:34 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

It’s lying face down and look further round to the right you see the drain plug which sits at the bottom.

The picture is taken from Neil’s bedroom he takes these things to bits in his sleep lol

10My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 21st August 2018, 5:47 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

It's the putting them back together that I struggle with, Very Happy

11My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 31st August 2018, 10:00 am

Turbofinger

can I get to that bolt under the car without dropping the gear box? where would it be if the gearbox was sitting in the car? front? left? right side?

12My New GTiR Empty Re: My New GTiR 31st August 2018, 10:07 am

Turbofinger

can I get to that bolt under the car without dropping the gear box? where would it be if the gearbox was sitting in the car? front? left? right side?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum