Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dual stage MBC

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dual stage MBC Empty Dual stage MBC 4th July 2018, 9:19 am

mike74

mike74

Morning guys,

I've been thinking for quite some time now that I'd like the ability to switch between two boost settings ie 1.2 bar (low setting, which the ECU is meant to run at) and maybe 1.4 bar (high setting). The thought of shelling out hundreds of pounds on an EBC which I don't really need doesn't appeal.

That being said I'm now kinda limiting myself to running an MBC of some sort. I currently have a Dawes device fitted, running 1.2 bar and it works faultlessly. It holds boost well up to red line, doesn't spike at all but isn't 'switchable' as I'd like.

I started having a look in earnest at options but the dual stage MBC's are all essentially bleed valves that are switched by means of a solenoid...which got me looking for something else.
I've now stumbled upon an idea which sounds like it would tick the box and wouldn't cost a fortune. (see piccy below)

Essentially you run a 3 way pneumatic solenoid valve which has TWO Dawes devices attached to it, which are in turn tee'd together and connected to the wastegate actuator. The beauty of this setup (if it works!) is that it uses two Dawes devices to hold two different presets of boost, unlike a lot of them which limits the boost to either wastegate spring pressure+high boost.

The other slight advantage of this setup is that high/low boost control would be simply by means of a toggle/rocker switch somewhere in the cabin to feed +12V to the solenoid...nice and simple!

So the question is, would this actually work? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't but then again I'm certainly no expert!

Any thoughts or opinions guys?

cheers for now  Very Happy

Dual stage MBC Mac_du10

2Dual stage MBC Empty Re: Dual stage MBC 4th July 2018, 2:57 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

should be functional and with piping kept minimal and direct not likely any different in wastegate control . with low boost on default valve ports and a warning light for overboost or decent boost gauge with memory function and programmable warnings would be good precaution if valve has issues, 3way 12v valves pretty cheap so not over expensive concept trial run .
Would plumb it so easy to bypass the solenoid in event of a failure ...

3Dual stage MBC Empty Re: Dual stage MBC 4th July 2018, 9:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Seems a pretty good idea and like said pipe work could be quite minimal also less pipe less chance of leaks lol ...

4Dual stage MBC Empty Re: Dual stage MBC 5th July 2018, 6:03 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Just thinking out loud, would a 12v be sufficient to control the 2 ports on the solenoid?

5Dual stage MBC Empty Re: Dual stage MBC 5th July 2018, 8:20 am

mike74

mike74

I was thinking that I've actually got a spare illuminated rocker switch in the garage I could use for it. I've already got a boost gauge fitted so could easily monitor boost on the fly.

IF something were to happen I guess all I'd have to do is route the 'feed' hose from the valve straight to the wastegate and bypass both Dawes devices completely (or do this for 'valet mode')

It should work fine Woody as there's actual 'kits' online that use these valve to switch between wastegate pressure and high boost. I'm just thinking about using it for high boost and higher boost! Smile

would be something like one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Port-Boost-Electronic-Controller-Solenoid-Valve-Mitsubishi-EVO-6-7-8-9-TURBO/163132757654?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52945%26meid%3Dc3643a41f2fc4a719764ca3e0fc43193%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232817290651%26itm%3D163132757654&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum