Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Potential MOT Issues.

+3
Mr B
astarozna
Daveymeladdy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Potential MOT Issues. Empty Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 12:40 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Ok... so my car is a genuine air bag model. It has “SRS Airbag” stickers under the bonnet and in the drivers cab.
Before I got the car it had the steering wheel with the air bag removed and also the clocks which had the air bag light. As the pulsar didn’t have it as standard (optional extra) most MOT places don’t know to check that the air bag is functional.

I have managed to retro fit an air bag warning light into the dash as (personal choice) I want it to be there. I have wired it so that it goes out when the engine starts along with the battery light.
I didn’t think about this before, but My problem now is that it will alert the MOT tester to the fact it should have an air bag, but it has a phase 1 wheel and no air bag. If it’s been removed, is that not an instant fail?

2Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 1:41 pm

astarozna

astarozna

Can't you just remove a bulb from a cluster for m.o.t and then re fit it later?

3Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 2:09 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

That’s kind of what I was thinking I’ll have to do. I can change the lights so there is no air bag light there, my main worry is that if I have a car accident, and they send out a surveyor, will he look to see if it has been tampered with?

4Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 3:35 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If srs light functions normally you may get away with it if tester not too thorough at looking at steering wheel or not wanting hassle as it's grey import and unclear if was factory installed .
Best thing would of been total removal of everything airbag related.
Do like your commitment to wanting keep it but it could be ballache if MOT guy wants make a deal of it and once fault logged in computer you f00ked as not like good old days of hiding it further and test it elsewhere .
Have a word with gostek as he a UK mot tester although so much comes down to individual guy on this sort of thing .
MOT manual revisions come in late next month so worth seeing if anything in that relates to srs .

5Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 3:45 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I was under the impression that cars over a certain age didn’t matter if airbag worked or not. I retro-fitted the air bag light back into the dash and then realised I may have caused myself a problem. I may just put the old set of lights back in each year. I get it MOT’d with Bob and not had an issue so far as most don’t know it’s meant to have an air bag.
Potential MOT Issues. B1ee3310

6Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 3:47 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I’ve also noticed that my horn doesn’t work! There is meant to be a contact behind the steering wheel but my car doesn’t have one, can anyone see from this pic what is missing and poeticise a photo of what it should look like? I will then need the part if anyone has it on something they are breaking?
Potential MOT Issues. A4766f10

7Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 4:19 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Could fit a horn on a button if you get stuck airbag light looks good mate what did you use ?

8Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 4:43 pm

astarozna

astarozna

Doesn't the VIN say what extras you have or not or did that came later?

9Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 4:54 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh airbag was originally only issue on late 90's but I see no age restriction in current rules so assume they removed that and can effect all .
A sensible or friendly MOT guy not going cause much issue but technically by rules it could be made an issue I would think by looking at current MOT section 5.4
@ Gostek
gostek best man answer this thread .

10Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 6:06 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

My VIN would reveal it had an airbag, but doubt the MOt tester will know that

11Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 7:06 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Pull the bulb out you'll only get advise that srs light does not illuminate
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s05000401.htm

I don't remember correctly now but it depends on vehicle some lights are going off few sec after engine start if it's working like that you're ok, well I don't fail cars where srs lights goes off when engine starts....

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

12Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 15th April 2018, 7:46 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

The light I have fitted to the dash is a spur from the battery light, so it goes out once engine starts

13Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 16th April 2018, 7:06 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Hello Mr MOT man just thought I'd give you a heads up .

The air bag light comes on because I've fitted clocks from a much newer car .
These never came with air bags .
Wouldn't want you failing it on something it doesn't have .

14Potential MOT Issues. Empty Re: Potential MOT Issues. 16th April 2018, 9:11 am

johnboy

johnboy

Just wire in a small switch under the dash. Easier than taking the bulb out each year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum