Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Potential brake upgrade

+4
Mr B
gtir_woody
johnny gtir
mike74
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Potential brake upgrade Empty Potential brake upgrade 25th April 2017, 11:26 am

mike74

mike74

Afternoon guys,

Just having my usual lunchtime peruse of the bay and stumbled across this brake 'upgrade kit'.
Anyone ever do something similar? £180 to have 300mm discs would be nice but, it would still retain the original single piston calipers.
What you reckon guys?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322489057570?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

cheers,

mike

ps - car is never on track so just fast road use  Very Happy

2Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 25th April 2017, 11:36 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Personally at £180 plus postage so say £200 then I would only use carbotec pads if I was to retain the standard callipers your looking £300 plus braided flexis ( unless you have them) say your up to £380 ish I would spend the little extra and pick up a decent second hand big brake kit I just sold a decent hi spec 4pots with as new discs and ds2500 pads with beakers etc for £500

3Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 25th April 2017, 9:25 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

The standard caliper will only get you so far, if the only reason for upgrading is bigger look but as johnny said better off spending that extra on a full kit. Spend more now to save money in the future Smile

4Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 25th April 2017, 10:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Cheapest pretty good upgrade you can do is akebono 2 pots on evo rs/outlander 294mm discs. Mix it with 1144 or 2500 or the amazing carbotec if want absolute best from it .
Can be done cheap if take time sourcing calipers and brackets and got cheap machine shop option .
That kit got 8.8 hardware, I wouldn't use less than 10.9 on brakes .

5Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 8:48 am

mike74

mike74

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea then. I had the twin pot caliper & clio disc conversion on my last one and worked well so I think ill try a bit harder to find bits to do that instead.

Thanks for the reality check guys  Very Happy

6Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 9:21 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Depends what power or your driving is like mate should you want to do the above I have a set of brackets to do the above you could get copied cheap n just buy the discs will cost you a lot less than £180

7Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 9:49 am

mike74

mike74

Cheers for the offer Johnny  Smile
its probably for the best you don't know what my drivings like!!  :p
Power wise she's only running air filter and 1 bar loop. BUT I've got a 3" turbo elbow to go on and imminent turbo upgrade as mine's starting to smoke

I've sent a mail to a breaker down south that's advertising a Mivec FTO so hopefully the brakes+calipers are available and not too expensive.

The calipers themselves aren't the problem its just finding the brackets that's the pain. I found brand new ones but they're about £75 EACH! Shocked

8Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 10:11 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

the fto brackets will work for the clio disc conversions but in UK you likely need source new brackets if want 294 discs and to be honest that best way go with it .
Even if you don't want the shorter brackets they sell easy especially when complete with all bolts .
The longer 294 disc brackets probably cheapest from Oz, cheapest I see in uk is £50 whch still pricey for what it is >
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-SUPPORT-BRACKET-CARRIER-FOR-CITROEN-MITSUBISHI-PEUGEOT-/122426459552?hash=item1c812f85a0:g:ohQAAOSw2VJVfqpd

9Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 10:37 am

mike74

mike74

Yeah B I saw those new brackets for sale too. But the thought of buying discs and having to get them machined doesn't really appeal TBH. Getting stuff machined up here is pretty expensive with all the oil industry businesses. At least the clio discs virtually bolt straight on, albeit with a spacer in behind them (can buy the spacers off the shelf) Smile

10Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 26th April 2017, 1:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

trouble with clio discs is they the wrong diameter (4mm too big) so get a wear lip on edge unless lathe them with a taper. in asia we always done those with mitsi 276 discs.
294 is nice finished upgrade but indeed get bit pricy if can't source used brackets or have no friendly machine shop option .
trouble as well is the akebonos tend be harder thus more expensive pick up used and also older so likely want refreshing too.
Use to be easy find akebonos with brackets and bolts for £50 and in tidy order so that gave lot of budget for discs/pads and machining .
Does make a nice road car upgrade though and even track if use carbotec pads and quality discs

11Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 27th April 2017, 10:08 am

mike74

mike74

He shoots, he scores!

I'm getting front calipers+carriers from an FTO Mivec for £45 delivered! Even if the calipers are fooked its still not a bad price for the carriers alone.

I'm pretty pleased with that result  Very Happy

12Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 27th April 2017, 10:37 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yep that very sensible and price that makes it super cheap finished upgrade, rebuild kits are probably only £12-15 a caliper if needed.

13Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 27th April 2017, 8:37 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That's awesome, always good when things work out easy lol

14Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 28th April 2017, 6:26 pm

mc_hawkings24

What i didn't like with clio upgrade is that you have to drill the hubs out and then you can't refit your old calipers
Later on. Other than that its ok but i would get braided lines as it really helps and you do notice.

15Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 2nd May 2017, 5:26 pm

typeritr

typeritr

When I was looking for an upgrade I was searching on here and saw someone posting about peugeot 406 brembo calipers fitted easily with Clio 280mm discs.

I bought a set of 406 Brembos and 280mm clio discs.

A machine shop milled me out some brackets but he said for the best fitment he milled a small bit off the hub too, just to make them perfect. He said he has made conversions before and this was not a very straight forward conversion compared to others. I don't have them fitted yet as I needed the car back so he fitted the original brakes back on.
The pads have a 1mm overhang on the disc too but that is so small it wont make any difference really.
So anybody looking for Brembo brakes, the 406 Brembos do fit but not a simple fit, however once you get the custom brackets made you don't need any disc spacers or anything.
The machine shop charged me €200 for the brackets.

16Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 2nd May 2017, 7:21 pm

mike74

mike74

I got the 'cheap' Clio disc upgrade caliper and brackets for 45 quid...62 for discs...45 for pads and another 50 odd quid for caliper rebuild seal kit
Easy to do but not really cheap any more! Shocked

17Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 21st October 2020, 6:00 am

Eddie e30

@ typeritr, im in the same boat as you, i have 406 brembos also. Im also in Ireland (Westmeath). Any possible way i could get your number to give ya a bell? I sent ya a friend request in here. Id really appreciate your help

18Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 21st October 2020, 7:25 pm

FPSChris

FPSChris

Eddie e30 wrote:@ typeritr, im in the same boat as you, i have 406 brembos also. Im also in Ireland (Westmeath). Any possible way i could get your number to give ya a bell? I sent ya a friend request in here. Id really appreciate your help
You'd be lucky!

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

19Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 22nd October 2020, 5:44 am

Eddie e30

Cheers for the helpful input Chris. Anybody else on here running 406 brembos? Im just after info about calliper brackets and what not.

20Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 23rd October 2020, 10:48 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Eddie e30 wrote:Cheers for the helpful input Chris. Anybody else on here running 406 brembos? Im just after info about calliper brackets and what not.
I'm not sure what mine are tbh, I will have a look later. I have two sets of big brakes, I might have brackets but they could be bolt on's. I know one set are big big.
Everything going back on the car in 3 weeks Very Happy

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

21Potential brake upgrade Empty Re: Potential brake upgrade 27th October 2020, 6:52 am

Eddie e30

Chris mate if you wouldn’t mind taking a look that’d be great. Even if I could get my hands on dimensions of the brackets i can mill them out myself. 3 weeks time you’re piecing it back together?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum