Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Finally!......

+7
johnny gtir
Ryaneg6freak
Mr B
mike74
Welling_AL
GTI-R US
burrows1980
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 8:57 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

I highered them so there’s about 2” gap between tyre and arch (I did measure the struts properly) running 14’s didn’t want the car so low that speed bumps etc

I’m the car doesn’t bounce as there’s almost no bounce in the car, flat roads is fine, but rough pot holes roads is just scarey.. I have replaced every bush to poly bushes, so that may contribute to the harsh ness.. either way at the time other than 2nd hand old suspension nothing else was available. I will have a look at other options, end of day she’s on the road, like shroom said it was always going to be a shock anyway Laughing got use to the comfort of my tranny custom <——- left myself open on that one

27Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 11:08 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You'll never get BC good on proper rough B roads, I spent months and few hundred on varying spring rates, tender/main setups and while it good at lot of things real rough roads still showed it's downfall.
I'm super fussy on suspension and fitted and owned pretty much all the brands offerings on an R and I can tell you without a doubt any of the short stroke coilovers are poor choice for rough road use .
4 and 3 with tender springs makes BC better on rough road but the main issue of compression travel and droop is real issue as you simply not got the strut stroke to cope with real rough roads, the stroke on BC need be doubled at the least for rough B road driving .
Other issue is valving it pretty slow in function, I've used ohlins and proflex and you can run way stiffer springs yet ride less crashy and rough road surface better controlled because the valving precise and fast in action .
People who say they pretty good probably forgot what good is or roads not bad enough realise the limits .
It not just an R issue but the R's poor handling really does want suspension done well.
Bilstein inserts or long stroke coilovers with 75mm id coils will cost 300 to 400 gbp a corner roughly, difference is night and day .
Best experience so far is bilstein if using on roads a lot, off shelf ohlins japan good, JIC not bad, dms and custom springs, Leda not worst coilover but expensive for what get and similar money can get way better in custom effort .
Original new struts and custom coils with slightly increased rates and dropped max of 20mm also very good rough fast road .
Suspension very personal thing but if review a taiwan coilover stroke range the issue is undeniable for why is potential issue for many on rough road daily driving .
Will agree with Johnny that many far from best as rates/preloads/corner weights, and general geometry all off but biggest error is generally wrong choice of suspension for intended use through poor choice and poor product details .

28Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 11:33 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

burrows1980 wrote:Suspension:

Fronts 5kg rear 4kg,  is whats on it.

Could I go say 3kg front and 2kg rear?

I have the exact same BC RA's, same specs. They aren't objectionably hard.  You would probably do well to upgrade to swift springs though, and add a set of helper springs so you can turn the preload way down.

29Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 3:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The best I got them was main and tender springs, If taiwan kits had decent stroke base units and used 75mm id long coils and tender you could have very decent rough road setup at low cost, trouble is none of these cheap kits have proper R&D, they rely on software modelling and copying and use a lot of same values/specs for huge range of applications and that just don't work in real world .
BC gives you a lot for 700gbp (top hats got reused as decent) and good budget track option but for proper fast rough road use it a big fail.
That my opinion from experience, suspension opinion and preference varies but facts are coilovers with strut stroke and short coils like taiwan kits will never cope well on proper rough roads .

30Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 7:25 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Could they be modified such as the valving to improve them?

I checked the rear before and found they were wound near enough to the hard setting for rebound, thought I’d changed them when fitting. Possibly change the ride slightly.

31Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 7th April 2018, 7:57 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

While sorting a few bits out before I had the inter cooker off so thought may as well pull the plugs see condition, look really good imo.  Good heat range on them, and fuelling looks perfect! For once Laughing

Finally!...... - Page 2 0_D0_C7984-5_EB2-4718-896_B-104165378_C1_C

Finally!...... - Page 2 8233_B207-_F775-4_B7_B-9_A03-_E68_B9204_BA72

Black bit was from the overfuelling days, once I’ve done another 100 or so miles I’ll change oil and replace plugs for better type.

32Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 5:16 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Awesome mate, so happy to hear its finally on the road! the feeling must have been unreal. Im glad you mentioned about the spring rates, I think my BC's are 6/8 or something stupid like that, Ill be swapping them for sure now, don't want a death trap.

33Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 6:10 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

gtir_woody wrote:Awesome mate, so happy to hear its finally on the road! the feeling must have been unreal. Im glad you mentioned about the spring rates, I think my BC's are 6/8 or something stupid like that, Ill be swapping them for sure now, don't want a death trap.

Yep the feeling is pretty special mate, especially looking back at photos from a few years ago when it was on the rotisserie upside down with half the car cut out Shocked thing is I’ll never do that again with a car, can’t be arsed mainly, secondly want to do a kit car next time.

Taking her out with the wife later so be interesting to see what it’s like with two of us in.... looked at othe suspension options last night, may change it see what today’s drive is like!

34Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 6:56 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

burrows1980 wrote:
gtir_woody wrote:Awesome mate, so happy to hear its finally on the road! the feeling must have been unreal. Im glad you mentioned about the spring rates, I think my BC's are 6/8 or something stupid like that, Ill be swapping them for sure now, don't want a death trap.

Yep the feeling is pretty special mate, especially looking back at photos from a few years ago when it was on the rotisserie upside down with half the car cut out Shocked  thing is I’ll never do that again with a car, can’t be arsed mainly, secondly want to do a kit car next time.

Taking her out with the wife later so be interesting to see what it’s like with two of us in.... looked at othe suspension options last night, may change it see what today’s drive is like!

Take a look at these mate: Best coilover set you can get for the price.

http://feal-suspension6.mybigcommerce.com/feal-441-coilovers-91-95-nissan-pulsar-gti-r/

They can be upgraded to 2 way external reservoir type in the future if you so desire. These are hand built to order in California.

35Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 10:42 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Feal max travel better concept but stroke still too short for rough road and R preference.
Trouble as well is by times you pay shipping and import that going be more expensive than total custom effort locally . US does some good stuff but shipping/tax is a killer for most out of the US .
Only 2 ways get coil overs good for rough road and that total custom company build to your and their specs or build your own by modding old strut bodies or making complete new bodies and adding inserts .
don't get tied to 2.5 id coils, 3" to 4" coils can be advantage and main/tender spring setup way way better and more tunable at low cost after initial payout .
Bilstein inserts ordered to size are about £300 each, if use off shelf size as low as £120 each if hunt around. I had mine revalved, gassed and dyno tested for 8,000bt which about £190.
You got loads of companies in uk that can rebuild the bilstein R30 and R36 inserts, Springcoil a good company for custom spring ordering and design .

36Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 10:52 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Mr B wrote:Feal max travel better concept but stroke still too short for rough road and R preference.
Trouble as well is by times you pay shipping and import that going be more expensive than total custom effort locally . US does some good stuff but shipping/tax is a killer for most out of the US .
Only 2 ways get coil overs good for rough road and that total custom company build to your and their specs or build your own by modding old strut bodies or making complete new bodies and adding inserts .
don't get tied to 2.5 id coils, 3" to 4" coils can be advantage and main/tender spring setup way way better and more tunable at low cost after initial payout .
Bilstein inserts ordered to size are about £300 each, if use off shelf size as low as £120 each if hunt around. I had mine revalved, gassed and dyno tested for 8,000bt which about £190.
You got loads of companies in uk that can rebuild the bilstein R30 and R36 inserts, Springcoil a good company for custom spring ordering and design .

Wisefab is Feal's European dealer, they can be had through them for no additional shipping or import duties and besides, the GBP exchange rate is so high in your favor that it would work out better for you anyway ( if you were in the UK)

37Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 10:56 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

I'm not gonna lie, the BC RA's are not at all a track coilover, I only run them cause that's what came with my car when I bought it, but I'm going to upgrade to the Feal 442 2 way setup with max travel option.  Cool thing about Feal is they will build you whatever you wish.  What the GTi-R needs is lots of travel and tons of low speed digressive damping (The shitty 1 way BC RA's are only linear damped)

Now, BC racing does have higher end coilovers but nobody ever wants to fork over the money for that.  Personally, If I could afford it, I'd go Intrax high end.

These are so much money, I think they're worth more than my entire car lol

http://en.intraxracing.nl/merken/nissan/sunny-n14-gti-r-4x4/nis55n14gti-4w/

38Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 11:13 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The Taiwan coilovers are hardly a damper full stop lol .
Totally agree on travel and damping and every suspension and spring company I dealt with had similar concepts .
Feal looks interesting and very affordable for you in the states.
I've driven a couple track and rally cars with intrax and proflex and it impressive stuff but awful expense for average R owner, I fussy on suspension but don't want 4 to 6K GBP receipt lol .
1,500 to 2K gbp can get something decent if do some work yourself and wiling put time in with couple companies get things done .
If could get 5 to 10 guys committed in UK would be worth trying sort something with a willing suspension builder.

Only good road stuff was gab, kyb, nismo and ohlins japan type n, I still got the ohlins in my too nice to scrap junk pile but roads here killed the fronts in 10 months, pretty sweet before puked themselves and expect they been nice for UK/EU B roads .

39Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 7:02 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Somebody selling a set of kyb's on our Facebook page .

40Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 8th April 2018, 10:22 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Nengun sell brand new kyb’s two different types I found out last night..

41Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 9th April 2018, 8:10 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Aye. KYB is still available and so are the Japanese Ohlins struts, but they're over $1600.

42Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 9th April 2018, 12:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I not so sure the japan ohlins available, was a case of listed but no stock when I tried aquire a set .
KYB seems possible, mix them with custom spring via springcoil and you got pretty good plain road use setup .

43Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 21st April 2018, 8:35 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Err so sorted the suspension issue! Easiest fix ever, I just went on the DVLA website and SORN it Rolling Eyes

44Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 21st April 2018, 8:55 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What’s the plans then

45Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 21st April 2018, 9:10 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Finally!...... - Page 2 BD40_AD9_A-6_E30-4509-_A851-4_D6631_E833_EB

Finally!...... - Page 2 24_F52_D17-_A9_A0-4_A0_C-_B866-0_A5_A3_B668101

3 months recovery, that’s the plan Laughing

46Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 22nd April 2018, 1:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Oh no, what happened?

47Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 22nd April 2018, 1:30 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

wow that suspension must of been stiff :-S
or did the wife catch you using baby wipes to clean car parts in garage again :-)
Hope nothing too serious and you and the R back on road soon

48Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 22nd April 2018, 6:51 am

mike74

mike74

Looks painful, what did you do to it? Sad

49Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 22nd April 2018, 7:06 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

For some reason my Achilles Tendon decided to snap in half last Saturday, had surgery on Thursday to pull it back together.  Unfortunately it’s a long recovery, hence why the R is sorn now.  Gutted but nothing I can do about it other than rest and do what the doctors say.

I did it pushing the wife’s VW Golf a few feet! Couldn’t be arsed starting it up to move only a few feet. It was on flat ground, soon as I took up the load just felt it snap, as though the ground had given way under my foot.  I shit myself as didn’t know what the hell was happening, felt the back of my foot where the tendon normally is and absolutely nothing there affraid

I think what I’ve actually done is weakened it over time by pretty much daily pushing cars Laughing  i always park the mini or before mini the tranny connect up against garage door.  Instead of starting it for seconds I just push it back half meter then later on back up to garage door... done this for about 5 years Shocked

So I guess I’m putting a door in side of garage now Laughing

50Finally!...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally!...... 22nd April 2018, 8:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Oh dude that's no good, geeze it sucks with injuries that happen doing simple things that you wouldn't expect. On the bright side, at least you didn't fall down holding your foot and the car rolled backwards onto you! Hopefully you recover quickly buddy thumbsup

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum