Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best suspension for road use

+2
nomad
ROB_IOW
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best suspension for road use Empty Best suspension for road use 4th March 2018, 9:51 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

So my r is 400bhp and it's pretty much on standard suspension.

Its abit lairy when you put your foot down .
Lifts an awful lot on acceleration and feels unsafe I reckon it would have you off the road if it could .

So I'm hoping it's down to the suspension and nothing else .

I'm thinking either Bc coil overs or the K sport coil overs
Which one of the 2 is the better or what other options is there

2Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 4th March 2018, 11:06 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I know bc's you can get different spring rates Bob is a bc stockist/dealer ....

3Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 9:19 am

mike74

mike74

There's actually quite a few different makes now, the ones you mention plus these too:
never heard of these but they look ok

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YELLOW-SPEED-RACING-DYNAMIC-PRO-SPORT-COILOVERS-FOR-NISSAN-SUNNY-PULSAR-GTIR-N14/132434336733?hash=item1ed5b39bdd:g:DPIAAOSw8AhaMku0

pb brakes
http://pbbrakes.com/street-coilovers-kits/nissan/pulsar/nissan-pulsar-gtir-4wd-n14-coilover-suspension-kit.html

hadn't heard of these ones ^^^ before either but I quite liked the fact you could fit them and set the ride height back to standard (much easier to get up on ramps/stands with standard stuff)

not much help deciding but another couple of options mate Smile

4Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 2:18 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I wouldn't touch the average taiwan coilovers for b road use.
Main issue is stroke too short travel for rough roads and valving pretty poor whiich further reduces traction on the rough stuff .
If BC would custom make longer body with twice the stroke travel and longer springs based on 70mm standard it would be probaly road use decent with bit of spring rate/main/tender tuning.
Best I had on road off shelf was japan ohlins, bilstien inserts are superb too (used in budget rallying) and what I current use as our roads are junk .
BC is affordable and kind of half decent but in my opinion from using it on rough roads is it not great even with revised spring rates for reason mention above, all the taiwan coilovers pretty much same issue with too short stroke and not most amazing of valving to cope with high spring rates on rough B roads .
Is a tough one get right without going custom or getting BC make a better rough road designed package .
Handling and braking is 2 of biggest weaknesses on the R thus biggest gain your money can net if done well to match your usage, brakes pretty easy sort , handling more tricky but good effort on struts bushes swaybars alignment and likes of modena front diff can make them hang on with evo level of grip

5Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 3:00 pm

mike74

mike74

Can you still get Bilstein inserts for the R, Mr B? I looked a while ago but couldn't find...

6Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 3:20 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
Bilstein can use likes of R30 or R36 inverted mono B6 inserts pending on what R strut tubes you use. R36 is best as the valving on 36mm pistons is more detailed profiling & potentially more tunable.
R36 inserts need metric 50mm strut tubes, standard R fronts are 45 but GABS are 50mm bodies.
Bilstein will make inserts to length etc and this best way as get more strut stroke but not cheap compared to off shelf insert part.
RX7 & mitsi 3kgt inserts are popular for cross fitting & can be made to work & base stroke range increased by about 20mm.
Cost is around 1500 to 2KGBP at a guess for uk . plenty garages that do rally cars can revalve and gas the inserts and that not overly expensive generally, modding strut tube is easy and you can get likes of springcoil make you springs or use use 70mm standard spec springs if adapt to that spring platform .

7Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 6:07 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Trouble is the tubes are of poor quality here in uk due to age I find hence for the majority of us fast road/track likes of bc is a good compromise due to cost and adjustability.

8Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 6:37 pm

Zia

How about miester?
https://www.meisterr.co.uk/

i have a set of old Tein Ha not most road friendly.but really good for track and nice smooth tarmac.

Zia

9Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 5th March 2018, 7:21 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

What difference do the spring rates really make on the bc coil overs .

10Best suspension for road use Empty Re: Best suspension for road use 6th March 2018, 8:24 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ it helps but strut stroke to short so bottom out too easily or lacks the droop in fast rough road use for real good tyre to road contact.
If stroke increased they would be pretty good daily option for real world road use as is they do okay on smoother stuff and track .
meister R pretty much same scenario, these companies do no real car by car design/testing, it mainly generic platform and spring rates/lengths.
When BC first came out thy didn't have spring rate options, only user complaints and user input led BC to implement spring rate options when purchasing .
You get a lot from BC in terms of potential product support plus bob does good prices but if they would work with you guys and make a long stroke fast road package with main and tender spring setup the difference would be night and day, even if added £350 to price it be worth it for you uk guys as BC can rebuild them at it's uk facility so buy once cry once deal plus retains used value as servicing available/affordable .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum