Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Filler

+4
Daveymeladdy
ROB_IOW
johnny gtir
Mr B
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Filler Empty Filler 4th December 2017, 6:26 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I am asking this question as someone who has never done any car body work ever.
I am trying to make an air intake, I need some fine filler to fill all the tiny little holes that get left behind after sanding down the proper filler stuff. I need something like Easyfill that you would use round the house. So on a large gap, you would use bonding, then easyfill. I need something similar to the easyfill but for car bodywork if that makes sense?

2Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 6:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

scratch and stonechip filler.
it a fine paste filler normally not 2 part and you use straight from a tube or pot .
any decent motorfactor will stock it .

3Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 7:03 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Cheers buddy

4Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 7:49 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Filler Img_3911
Filler Img_3912
Filler Img_3914

Filler Img_3913
Filler Img_3915
Filler Img_3916
I glued a bit of 40mm waste pipe on the back so I can get a silicone hose over it once it's finished and then smoothed it all into the pipe.

5Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looks a good effort so far....are you just going to do away with indicated all together or you got something planned ...

6Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:15 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Got something planned...
I spoke to a mate who runs an MOT place and he said he would fail a car if it had no front indicator. So to avoid playing "let's try and interpret the MOT standards at the side of the road" with a copper, I decided to buy some yellow LED's and I am going to put these in and around the openning of the new intake. I'm going to cut the plug off the old bulb holder and solder / heat wrap all the LED cables to the wires on the loom plug so they can all be plugged into the standard indicator loom outlet.
So once complete, I should have a load of yellow LED's that light up when you turn left.
Not entirely sure how it's going to pan out, but I'm only experimenting anyway. So far I'm pretty happy with how it's come out.

7Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:23 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

100% must have a indicating light of some sort for mot and covering your arse for insurance as would be big hassle in a accident and other party pushing fact you not indicating. insurance could void your cover which not a good thing in this day and age lol .
lLED on one rob did worked out well . best pretty much legal solution I seen to date .

8Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:27 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Mr B wrote:100% must have a indicating light of some sort for mot and covering your arse for insurance as would be big hassle in a accident and other party pushing fact you not indicating. insurance could void your cover which not a good thing in this day and age lol .
lLED on one rob did worked out well . best pretty much legal solution I seen to date .

I haven't seen that, are there photos on here of it?

9Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

yes, if look he got row of orange leds on bottom edge of his vent .
might be in one of his winter project threads .

10Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:55 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

This came up looking great, very nice. Interesting to see how the Leds turn out.

11Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 8:56 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Most of the photos are blank I just checked ....

12Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 9:10 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I'll get some of the fine fill Mr B recommended and fit the LED's in the next few days and post some photos up. It's a bit of an experiment at the moment, I'm not even sure where to put the LED's yet, kind of making it up as i go

13Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 9:11 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I used this on the side of mine but mine is abit more open at the back

https://www.driveden.com/car-parts-c2/car-lighting-c14/indicators-repeaters-c137/xsara-picasso-t8642

14Filler Empty Re: Filler 4th December 2017, 9:14 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

johnny gtir wrote:I used this on the side of mine but mine is abit more open at the back

I wondered whether to open it up more, but wanted it to fit a 40mm silicone hose so I can direct the cold air to my intake, so that's why I put the bit of plastic pipe on the back and funnelled it to that

15Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 8:59 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I think it looks smart as it is Dave I like the idea of the led strips although I don't know how my ocd brain would cope without both sides matching lol ....

16Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 9:26 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

nomad wrote:I think it looks smart as it is Dave I like the idea of the led strips although I don't know how my ocd brain would cope without both sides matching lol ....

I was thinking the same lol

17Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 9:36 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Filler Img_3917
Filler Img_3918
Filler Img_3919
Filler Img_3920

This is what I was going for as a first attempt. These are 5mm LED's and I wanted to see if they would be bright enough. I think they'll do the trick

18Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 10:02 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looks good, should do the job nicely. I wonder how visible they would be in the middle of day in the sun etc.

19Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 10:09 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I used a rather low 12v battery to test this, I am assuming in they will be slightly brighter with the engine running

20Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 10:28 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

here's robs
about 5 leds would fit neatly on lower edge.

Filler 20170914
Filler 20170421
Filler Air_in10

21Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 11:07 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

As said above I've never had a problem getting mine through an mot with it fitted .
Its now been to 4 different mot stations in the 10 years it's been fitted 2 back street garages 1 Peugeot main dealer and 1 fast fit centre

22Filler Empty Re: Filler 5th December 2017, 11:27 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

My only worry is if the cops see it as a good excuse to give me hassle. I guess if it can pass an MOT then there's nothing they can stop you for

23Filler Empty Re: Filler 6th December 2017, 12:18 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

They can stop you have no doubt on that , whether you get a ticket is another story, all down to opinion of officer involved, you and exact circumstances at the time . indicator far more flexible on lighting regulations than other lighting hence not much issue to mot regs but if cops think visual lighting from it too poor or something they could make a fuss if feel inclined, If moving fast be hard spot it lol .
I think a row at bottom like robs but 5 or even more would give pretty good output and look reasonably normal thin type indicator lens when in operation and looking at it .
I doubt you get any bother from it but a cautious approach always best as stuff like that can bite hard in a insurance battle etc .

24Filler Empty Re: Filler 6th December 2017, 5:51 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

I might keep the 'normal' indicator in the boot with a screwdriver just in case, that way if I get pulled I can swap it over and be appologetic.

25Filler Empty Re: Filler 6th December 2017, 7:13 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

chances are slim but being prepared for hassle better than being caught without a plan .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum