Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Intermittent erratic idle

+2
mike74
Cosmic73
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Intermittent erratic idle Empty Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 6:48 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

So I've had 2 trouble free years since I rebuilt the engine and done more than 30k miles without a hitch, So i suppose my luck had to run out eventually and i hope it's nothing serious.
Noticed on my 30 minutes commute home a little hesitation as accelerated and idle hovering slightly, but as got nearer home it got worse where it was almost stalling at idle.
Took a video below and when I stop feathering the accelerator it gets really bad with black smoke coming out the exhaust and around the engine.
https://youtu.be/CeQZUtVTThU
Fault code reads 5 long, 5 short so all ok there.

An hour later I tried the engine again and the same problem occurred. Tried it again 1 min later and all ok ish.
I thought I'd check the following;
Spark plugs and spark,
Loose wires,
Timing,
I'd there anything I should consider?

2Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 7:22 pm

mike74

mike74

Air leak! Try the usual culprits like boost and vacuum pipes and the bov leaking. If theyre ok maybe the ignition module overheating? Does the idle improve or worsen if you unplug the maf? Theres a sticky on here about its resistance so thats a quick easy check.
Is the standard pcv valve to the left rear of the head still there? That's another potential problem if its fubar

3Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 7:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Black smoke is un burnt fuel mate why it's also around the engine I don't know. What's the rattle or is that something none related. Boost pipes ok ? As would explain idle and black smoke

4Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 7:25 pm

mike74

mike74

Also, has your vacuum at idle changed since this started?

5Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 7:25 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What's the turbo like ?

6Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 8:28 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ill check all the boost and vacuum pipes etc tomorrow morning.
Mike you make a good point about the MAF. Its connector is actually resting against side of the battery and vibrating away like crazy.
Its a standard PCV valve but i dont know if its fubar. Can it be checked without removing it?
Yeah black smoke was quite bad but only while it was stalling. disappeared the rest of time.
That rattle is just a loose bit if trim in the dash and shouldnt be a concern,
I dont have the tools to measure vacuum at idle but turbo seems fine with no boost issues.

7Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 21st September 2017, 8:37 pm

mike74

mike74

Just unscrew the pcv valve and see if you can blow through it or not (you should be able to suck through but not blow if that makes sense). Do you have a boost gauge installed, even the factory one?

8Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 7:06 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Seems to be running fine for now,
Anyway Checked PVC and all ok there,
Checked compression and got between 10 & 12 bar on all cylinders which is ok for a warm engine.
Sparking fine too, but I removed the plugs and they're well coked up. Also loads of black spatter coming out the back
Checked some pipes and connections which seemed to be ok.
Maf seems to be working ok.
Could this be turbo on way out?
Intermittent erratic idle Img_2012
This is the spatter it left on my wife's bumper.
Intermittent erratic idle Img_2013

YouTube video of exhaust is below, ignore the rattle , it needs fettling.
https://youtu.be/B09vlht-1Mg

9Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 7:16 pm

Gtirchris

Hmm, that's running really rich, try cleaning the maf with some electrical contact spray, check the Base timing and ignition amplifier is working properly mate.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

10Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 7:34 pm

mike74

mike74

Yup, i had those symptoms with a dodgy maf. Ruff n rich running, soot the work's. Try cleaning maf and buzz it out Smile

11Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 8:12 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Must just be video but smoke looked blue ? What happens when you un plug maf on idle

12Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 8:44 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Forgot to add that i also checked the timing and it's between the 1st & 2nd pulley notch.
MAF looks like a strong candidate and i cant help but wonder the vibrations going through its connector caused a fault. Since i moved it off from battery yesterday its been ok but smokey.
While it was running better today, i disconnected the maf and it instantly ran rough.
Ill give it a good clean and see how it goes over the weekend.

13Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 8:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Smoke does look a bit blue, is it using any oil ? is inlet tract to plenum showing lot of oil residue ?
Do you have wideband to monitor fuelling ?

14Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 22nd September 2017, 9:34 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Exhaust smells of fuel not burnt oil and doesnt seem to be using any more oil then normal.
Ill check the plenum over the weekend. Ive no wide band monitir unfortunatly Sad

15Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 23rd September 2017, 8:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

How did you get on Neil any joy ?

16Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 24th September 2017, 1:39 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Was at Rally day yesterday so only managed to get under the bonnet today and tbh and cant see anything obvious. Plenum is bone dry and clean as a whistle, i cleaned the MAF and moved it off the battery. No signs of leakage or damage to any pipes. Starts fine and seems to run ok on the drive.
Im just about to take it for a spin with Ricky so we'll see what its like hot and after a bit if boost.
He's had a turbo failure in the past so might pick on the signs.
Fingers crossed its not
Neutral

17Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 24th September 2017, 3:12 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Must've been the MAF, running sweet as a nut now, idling rock steady, boosting as good as ever and no smoke. Hope thats it for now

18Intermittent erratic idle Empty Re: Intermittent erratic idle 24th September 2017, 4:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Glad it's ok mate .... nothing worse than the feeling of eternal doom lol ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum