Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

turbo to close to block........help please

+3
PartyPete
GTIR James
BEBB GTIR
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

ok.
got my turbo hooked up to manifold over the weekend. went to put it in place to see how it all looks and quickly noticed the inlet is touching the block.
wat can i do. i take it i need to space the manifold from the block to push it further anyway??turbo to close to block........help please <a href=turbo to close to block........help please 20170514_135758_zpsdmuiewrj" />

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

was thinking of getting hold of another standard exhaust mani and cutting the base of to use as a spacer. would this work. or do i need to have something made up specailly. im on a standard manifold that ive had ported at present

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

You can buy manifold spacers on eBay etc

You may need to grind abit off the block aswell where the turbo housing is in your picture

GTIR James

Depends on how much needs to come off. I run a 3inch inlet turbo and had to run x2 metal.manifold gaskets and grind the block away

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I had to grind a tiny bit off my block to allow my 3071 to fit as it was doing the same as yours

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I had this problem back in the day. I made longer studs and brought a blank exhaust manifold flange to move the turbo out.

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

this is what i was thinking. longer studs and use a manifold flange to move it away from block. ive got a 4inch inlet so i need a lot of room. probably 8 to 10mm. couldnt grind away that, its to much.

eventually i will have a custom exhaust manifold made up. but for know this is the route im going.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I couldn't find longer studs at the time, so ordered threaded bar in the correct grade and cut them down. That was like 7 years ago though.

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

i can sort studs no problem.

just need flange piece/s. think im best chopping an old manifold up. and having the pieces machined flat and ported out.

had a look on ebay but carnt find anything that looks useful.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That could work, this is what you would be after.

http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/95227/Exhaust-Manifold-Flange-Nissan-SR20DET/pd.php

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

that looks great woody. ive contacted them about sending to you the u.k. so im just waiting on that and ill get it ordered. thanks pal.
will let you know how i get on with it.
thanks all

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

It will need spaced I was thinking double up on steel gaskets but get as above sure there are a few uk based places do them

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

In my case I would have needed a shit load of gaskets, depends how much it needs to be spaced. If you can't get one over there and they don't post, I can help you out.

buckym120

buckym120

Would it not then be touching the rad/fans if your moving out that far?

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

im going to put aftermarket fans that blow through. therefore the fans will be in front of rad not behind. hopefully this will free me some space up to get the bigger turbo in

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

It should be fine. I got my compressor housing machined from 4 to 3 inches aswell. That helped a lot.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

This is a genuine question just asking what's the difference of 4 to 3 yes it gets more air in I guess but what turbo is it ? And what stage dose say a 3" inlet become to small

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

mine is a garret and hks hybrid ive found out. its a 3071r with the 4inch anti surge. got it from bob and had it pulled apart and rebuilt.
im no expert at all. but i would say its was its wasted on my car cause im fitting a z32 maf which is only 3inch i believe so its restricting airflow anyway.
also i dont understand why some one would have a turbo like this built and have a T2 sized inlet from the exhaust mani which is what i have got.

i have a seen 2861 with the 4 inch inlet and t2. but that makes even less sense to me.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

No problem I just know the power can be made on the 3 so thought unless big power or top mounting a four was just hassle but if bought secondhand you will of saved abit cash and it already had the four fitted so your working with what you have so all good

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

yeh. i totally agree. 3inch would make life a lot easier for me right now.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Size matters lol

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

woody im getting quoted like 70 and 80 dollars for the postage to get that over here. im willing to pay it but it does sound expensive. so it would work out about 130 dollars for flange and postage.
what you think mate.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Geeze thats expensive, I just cant see it being that much for postage, there's this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Datsun-SR20-SR20DET-12mm-Exhaust-Manifold-Flange-Header-Extractor-Turbo-/222487839608?hash=item33cd4f0378:m:mFrortvKIFIT-ahQm2IM4iA

it would be 52.80aus to my door. Purely guessing I cant see it being more than 50aus to get over, I would think that 50aus postage as the extreme cost, but cant guarantee of course. If you cant find one over there, I'm happy to help you out to try and get it cheaper. Its probably the weight of the thing.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I sent indicators to Johnny. Obviously no where near as heavy, but the box was much larger in size

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

i messaged the guy on ebay for a quote for postage and hes sent me a link to auspost. prices are stupid. ive messged him asking if he can do it for 40 to 50 dollars
waiting on responce now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum