Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guard roller

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guard roller  Empty Guard roller 19th January 2017, 7:39 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Brought a cheap eBay guard roller to do my new front fenders before getting them painted. Never used one before, review to come Smile

Guard roller  IMG_3458

2Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 19th January 2017, 8:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I had to think what fenders were for a min lol .... ebay over here same ones start from 20quid ....

3Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 19th January 2017, 9:35 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

heaps of people use them so unless I'm useless should be fine Laughing

4Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 19th January 2017, 10:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah i watched a pro do my mates car he said the trick is not to try and do to much in one go otherwise it creases or cracks the paint .... ive seen people use those wafty jacks you get for spare wheels ....

5Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 20th January 2017, 2:10 pm

mc_hawkings24

When you get arches with holes for pop rivetted on arch mouldings that's when you need to be careful with these tools. Other than that there ok.

6Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 22nd January 2017, 6:35 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Rolled the first guard this arvo, I have to admit all i was trying to do was roll the inner lip in but ended up flaring the guard out without even knowing, very easy to do. Pretty happy though will give me some more wheel clearance which is a good thing without looking much different to factory.

Thought I might have trouble fitting the bolt on flares but they sit really well, so all round pretty happy with the result, will post some before and after pics.

7Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 22nd January 2017, 6:47 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

sounds ok, should imagine quite hard get only the lip fold without some arch support or something.
I don't do much bodywork so good on you for getting into it .

8Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 26th January 2017, 7:50 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Overall review is that it works pretty well if you just need to fold the inner lip in a bit. The guards I used were brand new aftermarket ones for an N14, they needed some massaging and persuasion to fit ok and some time to make sure you drill the arch trim holes in the right place.

In my case I wanted the inner lip absolutely flush and I couldn't achieve that with the guard roller. It might seem like an act of butchery but I took the guard off and used a block of wood and a hammer (who doesn't like hitting shit with a hammer anyway? Laughing )

The biggest problem I found was the corner of arch where the bumper bolts on ended up on an angle and the arch trim wouldn't sit flush, this was mainly because of way the guard is moulded and doesn't allow flexibility in that section when rolling  (same thing happened with my OEM guards aswell).

I flipped the guard over and cut some of excess sheet metal away and got a perfect fit.

yeah I wouldn't recommend this approach if you have the guards on the car with good paint. Mine needed to be painted anyway and will need slight bit of filler to smooth them out, but in the end got the result I wanted.

9Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 26th January 2017, 7:57 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Any pics woody ???

10Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 26th January 2017, 9:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

yeah mate Smile

Here's the inside lip done.

Guard roller  IMG_3468

This is the section that I needed to cut and fold back to back to make the arch trim sit correctly. Still need to clean it up by the way Laughing

Guard roller  IMG_34691

11Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 26th January 2017, 11:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Have you got arch extensions then mate ?

12Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 26th January 2017, 11:50 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Looks a decent bit of kit.
And a good job done for your first attempt.
I need to sort my rear arch lip out. Since having new metal. With 3 people in the back the arch just touched the tyre over bumps.
I may just use a rubber mallet tho lol

13Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 27th January 2017, 12:45 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

nomad wrote:Have you got arch extensions then mate ?

Nah just standard mate

14Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 27th January 2017, 12:46 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Stu wrote:Looks a decent bit of kit.
And a good job done for your first attempt.
I need to sort my rear arch lip out. Since having new metal. With 3 people in the back the arch just touched the tyre over bumps.
I may just use a rubber mallet tho lol

Rubber mallet job before its painted Smile probably doesn't need much by the sounds of it.

15Guard roller  Empty Re: Guard roller 27th January 2017, 5:18 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Dropped the guards, front bumper and side skirts off to get painted today. Went to a couple of larger places and they don't want to know you. One was adamant I had to bring the whole car so they could colour match it and wouldn't do it any other way. The other told me to buy brand new parts lol I tried telling them the rest of the car looks like shit anyway lol

Found a small place, easy to deal with, understood I didn't need a showroom job and every little imperfection fixed where you can't see it anyway lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum