Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Missing / hesitating under any level of boost

+2
nomad
DRC
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Missing / hesitating under any level of boost Empty Missing / hesitating under any level of boost 24th November 2016, 1:15 pm

DRC

DRC

On my way to work and the car started and drove great . It pulled fine and boosted with out concern . Half way to work and problems .
If I give it any more than 0.1 bar boost the car stutters , hesitate and won't progress up the rev range. It feels like a fueling issue but I could be wrong . I am yet to check under the bonnet in detail but I did not see any blown boost hoses or kinks .
And all plugs look like they are in place .

I will check the dizzy cap arm and coil later .

Any ideas and directions would be helpful . Thanks
Written whist stuck in stationery traffic.

Dan

DRC

DRC

I removed the distributior
To find.......
Missing / hesitating under any level of boost AD7607B2-DF7B-46F4-87A4-01301F3CE646_zpsv4dcsyha

This happened when I was at bobs. We found the other dizzy cap In similar condition I thought the bearings might of gone on the distributor. But after removing the distributor the bearings were tight I put it down to a kinked rubber gasket  between the distributor and Cap , this sat the cap at an offset along with it having cracks where the screws in and it had no guides, so maybe it could have worked loose ? I have no real idea what caused it. But it's now fixed . I will run it for a few days and re-check every thing is ok.

Last edited by DRC on 24th November 2016, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

It must have some play in it when it gets hot to only wear done one side like its out of balance similar to when a turbo bearing goes ????

DRC

DRC

It's very odd as I have had it out and tested the bearings and they seem spot on.

So Just fitted a new distributor and cap as it looked like these caused the problem and........... no change !

It still holds out and spits and  hesitates at 0.2 bar .
( the above was a typo it's always been 0.2 bar)

So some sort of sensor or pipe leak?

So what should I look for next

mike74

mike74

Have you pulled fault codes yet? Does it idle ok or does it feel a bit lumpy? My old one used to idle like it had race cams in it when even one small vacuum pipe came off so was easy to spot. Fuel pump recently replaced or original one?

DRC

DRC

I have been on the phone to Bob trying things over the phone and whilst talking I notice the turbo outlet pipe had blown off! What an utter Twa* I am . How could I have missed it! Oh well. At least I hope to have solved another issue being the dizzy cap .

I'm shamed duh

DRC

DRC

When it's been run and it's hot I will whip the cap off and see if there is any play in the bearings.

mike74

mike74

Lol, it's happened to us all at some point. Glad it's an easy fix though Smile

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Does it look like the cap has melted on the side where its worn down .... just trying to get an understanding on how it only wears one side ball age

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Are the leads getting hot as zooming in on the picture it looks like the cap is distorted behind the contacts ???

DRC

DRC

I have fitted a new cap and arm on the bench and there was no resistance .
I put the dizzy back and ran it for a few miles . Then removed the cap and everything looks fine .
I will run it for a few hundred miles and recheck .

I also bought and fitted a mikalor clamp on the turbo output so no more poping boost hoses!

splmum

splmum

DRC wrote:I removed the distributior
To find.......
Missing / hesitating under any level of boost AD7607B2-DF7B-46F4-87A4-01301F3CE646_zpsv4dcsyha

This happened when I was at bobs. We found the other dizzy cap In similar condition I thought the bearings might of gone on the distributor. But after removing the distributor the bearings were tight I put it down to a kinked rubber gasket  between the distributor and Cap , this sat the cap at an offset along with it having cracks where the screws in and it had no guides, so maybe it could have worked loose ? I have no real idea what caused it. But it's now fixed . I will run it for a few days and re-check every thing is ok.

Is that not the standard shape of the dizzy cap contacts.  I've read somewhere someone questioning this before, thinking their cap was knackered, when in actual fact that is how they are standard.
Check your old cap against the new one and see if there is any difference.

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I blew a hose off last weekend while over taking a car. Felt like a right twat having to pull in right after over taking he car and then popping the bonnet to fix it ffs Laughing

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Like splmum points out those 2 contacts are that sort of molded shape normally
Missing / hesitating under any level of boost Gtir_oem_cap
small scuffing hopefully due to cap seated wrong .

DRC

DRC

Ok it might be how it's designed . The first cap was worn and the roter arm was worn out at the end . So was junk

The second cap was also wearing away as the arm had made contact with the points. So it was affecting the running as I changed the cap and roter for aftermarket numbers and it starts and runs better.
Also checking the condition of the new cap and arm after a few miles it's all fine.

The after market cap has 4 points that come out of the top of the cap as oppose to the two and two set up on the OE cap.
So I can see how I thought the arm had worn the cap away! Lesson learnt

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would assume the seal you straightened out resolved issue hopefully, rotor runs close to cap pickups so if on a slant and low at that side it was contacting on the cap pin moldings at high rpm.
Can see some scuffing in your pic . better result than worn dizzy bearings so onwards and upwards .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum