Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Internal gearbox upgrades

+14
gtir_woody
Gostek
PartyPete
johnny gtir
ADSgtir
DC313
GTi ARGHH
Bandyleg
GTI-R US
Cosmic73
mc_hawkings24
nomad
Mr B
mightydquinn
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 31st May 2016, 7:44 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Cranks

Last edited by johnny gtir on 1st June 2016, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

27Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 31st May 2016, 7:48 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

ADSgtir wrote:Just to update this - I'm having the selectors made for Bob , our machine shop is well equipped and can make to Aerospace specs , luckily I have access and can get pretty much anything made , no matter how complex in billet Ali, steel or titanium .
Sorry for the delay but this is not an easy process , first we had to get drawings done - all using a factory original as a template , then 3 D them , then make first run test piece out of solid .
Now this is done and I have the first selector to post to Bob , the second will be finished by the weekend .
Then Bob has to trial fit and highlight areas for further finish and clearances , return , and we will adjust - once it's all perfect - we have the settings for the machines to run them off -
The first prototype takes a massive amount of time and skill - all hand done .
I'm also having a billet Ali oil sump done , just to see what they are like.
These type things take lots of time and I'm doing them not for profit , if I wanted to make dosh I would make Ferrari parts or GTR parts - lol
But as I've said first proto done , rest very soon ..
Anything else people want Bear in mind very complex parts ,cost escalate , so if it's just for bling think on

Can you not replicate straight cut gears?
Standard pulsar 3rd gears are well known for going (I know all too well) so myself and others have put straight cut gears in, can you not replicate these gears at a cheaper price for buyers....just a thought?

28Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 31st May 2016, 10:40 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

As Ads has said..... we will hopefully soon have these in stock to test fit.
They obviously need to be fully tested prior to any going out  and I have a customers gearbox in at the mo ready to test fit one and make sure there are no clearance issues when the gearbox is put through its paces. The car its being tested in is a high powered track car so ideal territory for testing as gearbox Temps will be far higher than that of a road car

As said earlier by Stu. .  
The stock selectors are actually quite strong and it's normally worn parts such as synchros, bearings etc that put an unequal loading on the selector and in turn something has to eventually give and the cast alloy selectors are the weakest links.
Other things which cause breakages are human error and being way to aggressive with gear change, normally the main culprit for aggressive changes and mis-shifts is poor quality short shift kits so just a few things to bare in mind.

Will update as soon as testing is done and we get the first batch ordered in

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

29Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 1st June 2016, 6:38 pm

ADSgtir

Cranks - far too difficult , massive R & D needed , gears may seem simple but again R&D is huge , sure we could go below 1 micron accuracy but how good is your gearbox in terms of shaft play and surface treatments would be in itself costly .
Maybe something like titanium rods would be useful but demand low ?

30Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 7th November 2016, 6:37 pm

GTi ARGHH

Is there any joy with these yet? Hoping they might be ready by spring?

31Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 7th November 2016, 7:06 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

PartyPete wrote:
ADSgtir wrote:Just to update this - I'm having the selectors made for Bob , our machine shop is well equipped and can make to Aerospace specs , luckily I have access and can get pretty much anything made , no matter how complex in billet Ali, steel or titanium .
Sorry for the delay but this is not an easy process , first we had to get drawings done - all using a factory original as a template , then 3 D them , then make first run test piece out of solid .
Now this is done and I have the first selector to post to Bob , the second will be finished by the weekend .
Then Bob has to trial fit and highlight areas for further finish and clearances , return , and we will adjust - once it's all perfect - we have the settings for the machines to run them off -
These type things take lots of time and I'm doing them not for profit , if I wanted to make dosh I would make Ferrari parts or GTR parts - lol
Anything else people want Bear in mind very complex parts ,cost escalate , so if it's just for bling think on

Standard pulsar 3rd gears are well known for going (I know all too well) so myself and others have put straight cut gears in, can you not replicate these gears at a cheaper price for buyers....just a thought?

I'm actually tempted to design a set myself and get some quotes from Ricardo.

32Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 7th November 2016, 9:02 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Cosmic73 wrote:
PartyPete wrote:

Doubt there's a better man for the job!! Would it be to sell on or for your own use out of interest?

33Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 7th November 2016, 9:16 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I would probably offer to upgrade boxes myself with new bearings, seals etc.
i could use my gear box as a test box to prove out the design.
I can feel a new thread brewing up.  Very Happy

34Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 10:17 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I've seen people asking for recommended gearbox builders for pulsars, you'd certainly have people asking for you to run your mitts over there boxes if they see the detail you've gone into with mine!

35Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 2:19 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I still want to make sure yours has a few more miles on it, especially at full throttle , just to make sure. Very Happy

36Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 6:42 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Cosmic73 wrote:I still want to make sure yours has a few more miles on it, especially at full throttle , just to make sure. Very Happy
mate you will get a box or 2 fail if you do through no error of your own nothing lasts for ever and people always want to blame others. Just never be tempted to help someone out who won't spend what is required on parts once the box is split. Helps cover yourself

I seen some idiots who own these cars. Bob is a saint for even trying to help some of them. There cars are shit they spend money in the wrong places and there the ones who think everything lasts forever and blame anyone but them self

37Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 7:05 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
+1 on that .
You got stay away from some idiots as they just hassle and have no idea . set build rules and stick with them.

Did the shift forks ever get done ?

38Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 7:10 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Thats why id only build them myself so i know it would be done by the book. If someone wanted a cheap fix then i wouldn't be interested. I dont need the money, i just like helping genuine people out.

Yeah, there's real scum out there. The grief Bob took was disgusting, nicest guy you'll ever meet too.

39Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 9:41 pm

GTi ARGHH

Cosmic73 wrote:
PartyPete wrote:

Well if you did get it sorted, I would buy one!  If I could do it my self, my car would have been completed about a year ago.

Go on Cosmic, you know it makes sense! Very Happy

40Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 9:54 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I might look into it. Would be an interesting project.
Watch this space.... study

41Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 8th November 2016, 10:10 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Shall we do crowd fundraising to help Neil with development ?? lol!

42Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 9th November 2016, 7:10 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Cosmic73 wrote:I might look into it. Would be an interesting project.
If by any chance you think you might be quiet on last count I had 11 boxes and a par and quaife
You should look into tear diff and transfer boxes aswell stop slacking lol

43Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 9th November 2016, 7:19 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
F00k me johnny, 11 boxes . What's your middle name ! Nissan UK ?
I could understand Pete having 11 boxes 555 .
Worth bit of money now is the old gearboxes .

44Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 9th November 2016, 8:55 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

my god 11 boxes, cant have too many when owning these cars LOL

45Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 9th November 2016, 10:43 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

11 boxes, wow, is the world ending or something?

I'm going to speak with Nissan Tech center in Cranfield to see if i can get hold of the original gear drawings. You never know. You never know.... Smile

46Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 9th November 2016, 1:00 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

11 boxes....you need to calm down and leave some for the rest of us!

47Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 11th November 2016, 8:13 am

splmum

splmum

johnny gtir wrote:
Cosmic73 wrote:I might look into it. Would be an interesting project.
If by any chance you think you might be quiet on last count I had 11 boxes and a par and quaife
You should look into tear diff and transfer boxes aswell stop slacking lol
You my good man and myself must have a good handle on the gearbox situation, I have 6, so we have the market cornered hehehehehehe Very Happy

48Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 28th January 2018, 7:24 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Any news on these uprated forks? Ricky's recent gear box failure was due to this fork snapping and the 3rd gear synchro springs popping out.
We're rebuilding using his with brand new quiafe gears and he's got Pete's old fork but what if this snaps again? Suspect

Last edited by Cosmic73 on 28th January 2018, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

49Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 28th January 2018, 8:43 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Sorry i havent checked this thread for months.

Well just to update everyone........im afraid its a no go as far as the forks are concerned which is a real shame Crying or Very sad

I attempted to fit the fork in a customers race car as a perfect test base for them but..............the forks are way off fitting correctly, infact i spent over 2 hrs just boring out the centre so it fitted correctly over the selector rod, but then we had a further problem with the side arms of the selector being to deep so out come the angle gri der and narrowed those down until thry eere correct depth.
Went to i stall the selector into the guys box only to find that the angles of the selector arms are also wrong, that was the killer blow as nothing i could do regarding that.

So outcome was complete waste of time as the cad drawings must have been way out for that to have happened.
Also Adam no longer works there and think the guy that made them is no longer there either. 
So in a nutshell its a no go with them  beating a dead horse

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

50Internal gearbox upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Internal gearbox upgrades 29th January 2018, 2:45 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

GTI-R US wrote:Sorry i havent checked this thread for months.

Well just to update everyone........im afraid its a no go as far as the forks are concerned which is a real shame Crying or Very sad

I attempted to fit the fork in a customers race car as a perfect test base for them but..............the forks are way off fitting correctly, infact i spent over 2 hrs just boring out the centre so it fitted correctly over the selector rod, but then we had a further problem with the side arms of the selector being to deep so out come the angle gri der and narrowed those down until thry eere correct depth.
Went to i stall the selector into the guys box only to find that the angles of the selector arms are also wrong, that was the killer blow as nothing i could do regarding that.

So outcome was complete waste of time as the cad drawings must have been way out for that to have happened.
Also Adam no longer works there and think the guy that made them is no longer there either. 
So in a nutshell its a no go with them  beating a dead horse

When I get home I'm going to take a stock fork to my good friend Tim who can do 3D scans into solid works, and then replicate the part with billet steel via a 5 axis CNC.  He said i should be able to replicate it for around $200 based on size.  Bob, what type of steel were you having yours made from?

I was thinking about maybe 8620 Billet or a type 410 stainless.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum