Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Driveshaft nut washer..

+3
Stu
grim_d
wrc
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Driveshaft nut washer.. 17th February 2016, 9:20 am

wrc

wrc

Has anyone got a driveshaft nut washer to hand that they could measure for me to hand?

I need the dimensions to order one as I don't have any at the mo lol

Cheers gents.

2Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 17th February 2016, 10:11 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

One I have is

OD - 40mm
ID - 23mm
Thickness - 4mm

or 40037M5600 - dont know if nissan still sell them though

3Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 17th February 2016, 11:04 am

wrc

wrc

Thankyou mate Smile

4Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 18th February 2016, 10:22 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Not a problem mate, hope you got it sorted Smile

5Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 18th February 2016, 7:16 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Consider changing to a pinch thread type washer type lock nut? can be had on the ebay for a couple for quid rather than going to Nissan and no need for split pins anymore.

Thread is the exact same as the mk6 fiesta ST and many others I'm sure.

Driveshaft nut washer.. DSC_0243

6Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 18th February 2016, 7:49 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

grim_d wrote:Consider changing to a pinch thread type washer type lock nut? can be had on the ebay for a couple for quid rather than going to Nissan and no need for split pins anymore.

Thread is the exact same as the mk6 fiesta ST and many others I'm sure.

Driveshaft nut washer.. DSC_0243
Have you got a link to the ones we can use?
Would like to buy some of these myself Smile

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

7Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 18th February 2016, 8:02 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That's awesome. I'd like to use them aswell.

8Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 19th February 2016, 2:10 am

grim_d

grim_d

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140912098654&alt=web

Those are the ones I bought. Picture is different.

I was actually buying them for my ST as I had to pinch the nissans when the cage type ones fell apart. Laughing

9Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 20th March 2016, 4:46 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ordered a set of these, will make life easier not using split pins anymore.

Rep for good info mate Smile

Last edited by gtir_woody on 20th March 2016, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

10Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 20th March 2016, 8:06 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

That's handy, going to get some of these!

11Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 5th April 2016, 7:30 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Got my mine today, so much neater and easier than the standard nuts/ split pins.

12Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 5th April 2016, 8:26 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Do you just torque these up or do you need to use a punch or something to tap the edge to cause it to lock if that makes sence.? Like dent it in a bit

13Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 11:00 am

grim_d

grim_d

Just torque (rump) them up. They are a friction lock, the tops of the thread are pinched at manufacture and squeeze the thread as it passes through.

If it makes you feel better, the vast majority of threaded fasteners on aircraft are of the same type.

14Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 11:53 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ won't make me feel safer when flying lol, hope they don't reuse them :-/
main problem with these is when long amount of thread before final position the pinch points lose some effect, this can get made worse on old/dirty/damaged thread (knocks out the pinch points) & if used more than once & if quality poor .
Should work more than fine on driveshafts etc but worth cleaning shaft thread & making sure sourced nuts proper graded good quality & buy couple spare .

15Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 12:07 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Not like flying? Of course we reuse them, would be an epic job to replace the thousands of anchor nuts on maintenance checks! They don't lose their grip unless damaged, but good practice dictates only using clean threads anyway, using them as normal doesnt damage them.

I'm using these hub nuts on my daily and they are absolutely fine. I haven't had to take them back off yet but for the money if they had to be replaced its no big deal.

If worried stick with castellated and split pin!

16Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 12:21 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

How many times reuse before replace.
In high vibration & safety areas we replace on 3rd fitting .
We use them alot on industrial machinery but find grip reduces a lot when reused too much especially larger coarse sizes on long threads.
A lot down to quality of the nuts though .
I don't like flying :-/ lol .

17Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 12:36 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Mr B wrote:How many times reuse before replace.
We use them alot on industrial machinery but find grip reduces a lot when reused too much especially larger coarse sizes on long threads.
I don't like flying :-/ lol .

Indefinitely for non critical applications I assume. Routine servicing access panel anchors are on with solid rivets generally so not replaced unless damaged. I've not personally came across a worn out solid prevailing torque fastener, nylocs obviously become weaker through use.

I am going to see if I can find out if there is a limit for reuse, you have piqued my interest now!

They are designed to be reused though otherwise they wouldn't be there. Not all things are equal however if you have encountered problems with them.

Some critical components get new hardware, for instance an engine has all its mounting hardware replaced whenever its removed, on our birds anyway.

On hub nuts, they will be absolutely fine. Not something that gets removed too often (if you are lucky!)

18Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 1:44 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yes hubs etc they are potentially ideal as not removed often.
Many manufacturers moved to deformed pinch nuts or nylocs over castle nuts & pins as cheaper make & cheaper implement.
Would be fussy on what nuts you buy as many will be roughly made or low grading .
We have large sizes on course threads on hardened shafts that knockout & cut into the pinch tabs making them useless after couple uses.
Quality of nuts & type of thread material & usage makes huge difference. You get these nuts used a lot on exhaust/turbo use as likes of nyloc not suitable & mechanical locking with wire or pin not practical. most of those are not reusable as hold too loose after 2 or 3 uses .
Interesting seeing spec on your aircraft fasteners, would at least expect a wind on torque range test prior to reuse.

19Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 2:00 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Well using a harder shaft on a softer nut will wear them out. The shaft effectively acting as a tap. Running a tap through a pinch thread fastener will destroy the locking feature.

On exhausts/manifolds often these nuts are copper, again the stud acting like a tap to destroy the lock.

Some fasteners do require a wind on torque to check locking features prior to installation as and when required by the maintenance manuals. Critical fasteners are often locked by wire or pin.

20Driveshaft nut washer.. Empty Re: Driveshaft nut washer.. 6th April 2016, 8:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ exactly the case especially on coarser threads . this effect still happens on lower grade thread  as wear to the nut or shaft thread still causes lack of locking bite. we always use softer nuts than shafts so shaft threads last well & replacing nuts only is easier & cheaper routine,
Exhausts nuts can be issue because soft but also extreme heat cycles causes harder nuts loose locking bite. We get through a couple tonne (get recycled) of these type nuts every year during repair & service work.
I killed a set of new high temp k-nut exhaust nuts when made a manifold, 2 test/tweak fits at final stages left them useless & turbo would vibrate loose quite quickly, learned to keep set of used nuts spare for such tasks lol :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum