Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR

+4
mightydquinn
nomad
gtir_woody
GTI-R US
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

well after a few issues with gear selection on my car I thought I would pull the gearbox apart to trey find the issue (not a simple job by any means) Anyways after draining the gearbox fluid and pulling the sump this is what I discovered Shocked

nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00111
nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00213
nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00310

after I removed all the electrics, solenoids and stuff I then had access to the main filter housing
See in pic 2 the little clips in place to hold all the electronic solenoids in situ so the ecu knows their positioning, once the main connector is unplugged and the whole board is separated then they can be moved as long as they are put back in same position.

Anyway this is what lied beneath once everything was out the way

nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00512
nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00410

As you can see there's a lot of debris sticking to the electro magnetic solenoids and im hoping this is the cause of the issues with the gear selection as the metal particles on the solenoids and magnets can play havoc with the gearbox ecu and give all types of troubles. Plus o9n top of that the pan filter and main filter were completely blocked which will give issues with hydraulic pressure which is paramount to an eloctro hydraulic box which relies on info and pressure (same as a modern engine) ion order that it can perform its job.

only just finished cleaning all the parts so finish it off tomorrow and assemble everything and hope and prey that it all works correctly or ball age

cant fix it

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Hopefully it fixes it mate. I wouldn't even know where to start with these cars. How long did it take?

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looks nice and easy job duh fingers crossed thats the issue .... where has all tbe debris come from ...???

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Brave man!! Good luck with it, hope it fixes it! Smile

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Cheers
Took about 2.3 hours to remove everything and remove the said parts, could have done it quicker but would rather take my time as it's the first time I've ever done this and so easy to rip things apart but need to think what your doing and take notes as could cause some serious damage if it's not assembled correctly so obviously don't want to take that risk with a new gearbox costing over 16k  affraid

I think the majority of the debris / gunge has come through the lines that run to the front of the car to a seperate thermostatically controlled pump which then goes to an aftermarket oil cooler, trouble is the fluid then goes back to a stock cooler with some rather shabby looking rubber pipes which I think have perished on the inside so will change these. 
If the filters get blocked then that will cause oil flow to be restricted and in turn will raise the hydraulic pressure in the system, which over a period of time will cause wear on all moving parts.

Bit pissed off really as I paid for a full service on the gearbox just over a year ago 'which cost me a lot of wedge'and to me it looks like none of this has been touched  but heyho.
Seeing as car is used on track a fair bit you can't leave things like this, servicing is vital unless you fancy parting with thousands of spondoolies lol

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

16k buys alot of car these days ..... do you have to keep the stock cooler aswell as the aftermarket one then ????

shroom

shroom

Wow that looks like some engineering and electronics in there! Im sure you will get it sorted and as you said better to do it yourself and ensure its done right

shroom

shroom

Haha my poem is getting longer!

Wish I did have a sunny!

GTIR James

Whilst it's apart its worth checking the clips that go around the solenoids, they can go weak.Also fit x3 magnets to the huge oil pickup & x3 magnets to the sump pan. The Dobson filter is a nice bit of kit to. (Metal mesh filter instead of the paper Nissan one)

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sure bobs had the uprated clips on his when he bought it

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep Johnny's right it has circlip mod already and solenoid aftermarket stoppers fitted

it also has the magnets on big oil pan filter. The sump pan is a forge one with huge magnet so got enough magnets to hold a large wrench lol.

Would have liked the Dobson filter but gonna have to try getting it all back and running this afternoon so no time to wait for one as I need the lift back in action as all others have cars on them.

So fingers crossed that it works tonight when re-assembled What a Face

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Any news bob? Is she fixed ?

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Never had a chance to do it yesterday but will be cracking on with it in about an hours time so will let you know

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Come on bob do tell

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yep sorry shes all done and selecting 1st and reverse all fine now, its that smooth you can hardly feel it engaging gear at all.

Brand new BC suspension all fitted and , top of the range set with separate canisters! (bitch of a job to fit the rears. Bilsteins from Litchfield now sold

Just now waiting to upload the latest Nismo gearbox software from Litchfield which I should get Monday hopefully.

nice sunday spent trying to fix gearbox on GTR 00114

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum