Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wheel bearing without drive shaft

+4
ROB_IOW
johnny gtir
BEBB GTIR
Gtirchris
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 9:49 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Mornin!

I was going to send my shell off to the spraybooth on the rotisserie but dont want it bouncing around on the way there just in case it bends or buckles something. Soooo im going to make it a rolling chassis, problem is I pressed my old knackered bearings out before sending hubs to blasters. Got new bearings to press in but for obvious reasons wont be putting the driveshafts in. So will the bearings fall apart and wheel come off if not clamped together? should I put a bolt through with suitable washers either side and tighten it up..

The only other thing I was thinking is to split the CV and use that, but bag up the end to protect from dirt etc.

Gaz

2Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 10:00 am

Gtirchris

Yes mate you need to put something through the bearings to stop them from separating, the outer cv's would be the best to use buddy.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

3Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 10:13 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Gtirchris wrote:Yes mate you need to put something through the bearings to stop them from separating, the outer cv's would be the best to use buddy.

Nice one, Cheers Chris

4Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 10:48 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Yeah just split the drive shafts down .
And just put the cv joint through the hub ..
Obviously making sure you put the nut on and tighten it up

5Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 12:48 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

I sent my shell of to be painted with nothing in any of the bearings and it never seperated?

6Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 6:04 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yep i didnt ge5 that either you dont need to do anything aslong as the bottom balljiont is in the hub and likewise with the strut bolts not having a driveshaft in makes no difference or bearing imo ...

7Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 9:00 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I thought as said outer cv would need to be on or wheel will drop off

8Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 9:12 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Wheel could potentially fall off if you had nothing holding bearing together

9Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 9:27 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If it was the old bearings I would of left um without shafts as I have pushed um round loads like that & worst that happens is spindle moves & bearing loose becomes damaged (more of issue if using steering a lot). whole spindle would have to come out to loose wheel.
On old ones they tend stay tight, new one is more prone to movement & being new you don't want subject bearing cartridge to unwanted stress/dirt so sticking ends of shafts in would be good idea, most body shops will stick them straight on castor wheel dollies so actual hub stress/movement would be minimal in that scenario.

10Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 9:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sorry was having a total dickhead moment .... i understand now what you meant my shell didnt have the driveshafts in but had wheels on with no problems but that was with no engine in ... as said just split the cv and pop it in with the nut done up...

11Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 4th July 2015, 10:13 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Cheers chaps, will do the outer CV way. As mentioned with being new bearings I dont wanna trash them, although its a complete bare shell very little weight, dont fancy forking out for another set of bearings Shocked

So looking forward to getting it off the rotiserie and back to a rolling shell, although it looks like a standard sunny at the moment Laughing still be a landmark achievement for me!

Gaz

12Wheel bearing without drive shaft Empty Re: Wheel bearing without drive shaft 5th July 2015, 9:13 am

Thermal

Thermal

As an example just look at the front hubs on an MGF rear wheel drive, they use old Austin Metro front hubs which were front wheel drive, they still have the CV casing fitted and bolted through the wheel bearing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum