Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New info on gtir rockers, race engines, mapping etc

+2
gtir_woody
GTI-R US
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

After speaking to our new mapping guru / race engine build advisor it's been brought to our attention something that will interest a few of you who are planning big power builds, certainly was a surprise to me too.

Basically it concerns the throwing of the gtir rockers on solid lift engines I.e ours.
I always was under the impression that the rocker arms misplaced and threw off the shims sideways at anything over or around 8k rpm 
so a mis-shift, bouncing the car off the Rev limiter with incorrectly adjusted shims or weak valve springs would cause this.
Up to yet the problem has been partially resolved with fitting rocker arm stoppers which seem to do the job they were designed for but using these is not without risk as they can Infact cause damage to valves by holding down a valve rather than letting it bounce which could result in valve striking piston.

Now our new guy has pointed something out to me it's made me re-think my whole system regarding building heads scratch
When a rocker throws off the shim / valve stem it DOES NOT come off sideways as I originally thought, it actually moves backwards and is thrown from the pivot ball from the rear of the rocker, the cam coming on to its profile as it strikes the rocker then helps it on its way to misplace.

Terry did explain to me how this can be avoided to an extent and certainly make it far less likely to happen on a race engine or fast road high performance engine. 
The answer involves a fair bit of mathematics to do with axis points and the like, can't be assed to type all this tonight but certainly does make sense to me and will help in our future engine builds in order to make the head more suitable for higher revving applications. 
He is also helping, showing me how to carry out necessary work in order to prep a fully worked head for race applications as well as giving me use of his in house engineering shop to carry out necessary machining Cool

The man has some serious knowledge with the sr20det engines (as well as many other race engines) so it really is a massive boost to us and my new company to have this guy working with us advising / helping me in terms of how to make our engines stronger still.
I'm also receiving mapping lessons from him too (starting soon)
Turns out he is a massive name in Motorsport and has had years and years of experience both in race engine design and mapping of such vehicles, anything from top fuel drag cars, Btcc, wrc, and F1.
He played a major part in the design and build of the primers Btcc car and also mapped the grp A rally gtir driven by Andy Llewelyn back in the early 90s.
The mans been there and done it all worship

Turns out he's soon to be mapping a certain time attack car for guess what.........a so called tuner:lol:Laughing

I thought I knew a fair bit with regard to engine building,general mechanics and so forth (especially after 12 years of working on these cars) but turns out I know jack shit in comparison What a Face

Il of course pass on my new findings to help people on here should they need any info regarding their own builds but only by pm guys!

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Interesting read mate. Sounds like some very good info and look forward to hearing more about it. Also massive bonus for you having someone so knowledgable working with you.

Indy

thumbsup

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Nice, By any chance will he be mapping Eurospecs cars at Time Attack.

From owning an S body with the SR20DET, is there no way that the S body hydraulic rockers could be fitted to the Pulsar SR20DET head instead. The S body can sit on the limiter all day (Up to a certain amount of power) without really any grief.

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Not sure what he's doing or mapping at the moment joe, the guys literally all over the place also spends a lot of time mapping top fuel drag cars Shocked

Will speak to him more when I see him but he was saying about the roller rockers being installed will help with reducing the chance of rockers flying off so that's the route I'm currently taking with my build

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

surprised likes of Tomei never done a roller-rocker kit with cams &/or improved the rocker pivot with like a pin type or guides to sides & rear to stop being thrown off ball pivot.  roller-rocker would reduce forces trying push rocker back off pivot. Few people done roller-rocker swaps by swapping parts over but cost, strength of roller-rockers & cam options limited appeal, for most going full vvl was almost as easy with more to gain & about same price if domestic market got reasonable source of used vvl heads.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I would love to use a VVL head. Been watching a few peoples builds over time and cant wait to see the results

8New info on gtir rockers, race engines, mapping etc Empty which heads are better sr16ve or sr20ve 10th June 2016, 1:11 pm

polylux

Can you tell me which head is better sr16ve or sr20ve for gti-r engine(block)?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum