Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RWD conversion on GTI-R

+2
Mr B
Hardy172cup
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 11:18 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Was reading about this and it seams pretty easy to convert to rear wheel drive but the method I saw was a bit of a cheap bodge and I don't know how the rear diff etc would cope ive time with all that extra power going through it

Basically it involved removing the front drive shafts and plugging the holes and welding the diff in the transfer case and then you have all the power going to the rear wheels.

I'm kind of tempted to give it a go one day. I've got like 3 transfer boxes and a spare rear diff and drive shafts incase they do fook up. Doesn't seem like any major work is involved but with it being a bit of a bodge I just wonder how the car will handle and how long it's going to last.

Would be good fun to try it though, could always switch back. It's just the time and effort involved in swapping bits over

2RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 11:38 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You got weld the centre diff which is in the gearbox.
Can't really see much to me gained unless you was trying use it for drifting :-/

3RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 11:46 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

A bit of drifting would be fun but don't want to have to weld the diff in the box because that's a lot more work than I was thinking it involved lol

4RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 11:57 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Your R all up & running Bill ?

5RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 12:30 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Hopefully should be within the next few weeks.
I've got somebody going to do the box and clutch and a very reasonable price and he knows his stuff because he swapped my engine last time

6RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 7:07 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ hope that goes trouble free & gets you running smoothly for some time.

7RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 8:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So cant you just remove the front driveshafts altogether then and just leave the halfshafts in the gearbox end .... ????

8RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 9:10 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

You won't be able to do that because the centre diff needs load on both sides (front and rear) to work correctly? I think that's why something needs to be welded.

9RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 9:25 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/324400-how-to-make-your-gtir-rwd-for-free/

10RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 9:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Intresting read ^^^^^^^^^

11RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 10:05 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That's the thread I was thinking of from years ago, good find thumbsup

12RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 10:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I can normally dig deep from the depths of the darker side of the net Laughing

13RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 10:40 pm

shroom

shroom

I remember when one of my drive shafts popped out going around a roundabout and lost all drive.

Must admit I think the Pulsar would be weird and crap rwd. Why not buy a rwd car if you have space on your drive nock yourself out with that.

14RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 10:49 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

15RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 20th March 2015, 11:04 pm

shroom

shroom

Lol nice cornering there!

16RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 4:20 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If you were to lock front diff to get drive just to back you would not get full drive & would kill centre viscous diff on day 1.
Only way is locking centre diff.
How you pull shafts is flexible, plugging neater & only way if remove front diff. shaft hub ends would need be split from shaft & kept in hub or your hub spindle & wheel may depart lol :-)
Overall pointless really as with weight distribution rear grip would be minimal & with short wheelbase the handling from rwd perspective would be awful control without quick & plentiful steering :-)

17RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 11:55 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

To be honest I wouldn't go to big lengths to convert it to rwd but thought it would be a laugh.

I just got mixed up thing the centre diff was in the transfer box and I was thinking I could mod a transfer box and just swap over as I please but obviously the 4wd system doesn't work that way and the centre diff is actually in the gearbox! I took a box appart once... It didn't go back together Laughing

As for it being shit rwd, I think it would be good rwd, there would be less understeer for one and I think it could be set up to handle really well.
The downside is the car was never set up for rwd so the engine is facing the wrong way for a start lol. I think would be better as a 4wd car but I think if you made s rwd Gtir ptoperly it would handle better than 4wd on track

18RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 1:23 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Doubt it i just bought a sunny with a pulsar lump 300 bhp no diff the thing just wants to kill you ( front wheel drive) as mentioned the short wheel base dont really suit the rwd thing

19RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 2:47 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I suppose nobody can really say because we haven't actually tested the cars but my thoughts on rear wheel drive is that it would be a nightmare to handle, as you say the short wheel base will make it nasty in the bends but I honestly think if you had the skill to tame it then it would be faster on a track with rwd. It would be faster in a straight line because of less power being lost through the transmission.
I think it would handle better still if it had a rwd sr20 engine and transmission fitted somehow, but when I say better I mean purely in terms of lap times on a track and not drive-ability on a normal road.
I agree though it would be a nightmare and that's why I would love to drive one set up that way Laughing
It would be good though if there was a simple way to swap from 2 and 4 wheel drive with minimal effort

20RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 4:23 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Audi conversion once done simple swap via haldex controller

You ever drove a 200sx bill will give you some idea

21RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 4:35 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I haven't to be honest mate, I'd like to have a go in one.

As for the gtir's transmission, could and aftermarket centre diff change the 50/50 split? Would be interesting to try 60/40 or 70/30 split for example.

22RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 4:55 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If your serious put some (dont have to be warn tred) but cheap tyres on damp conditions and stiff rear susupension and possibly warn diff drive in anger 320 bhp  when i first got my white car it was like rear wheel drive and its fun but to much to handel many times it would spin out at low speed but past the point of controlling it ( to snatchy)

23RWD conversion on GTI-R Empty Re: RWD conversion on GTI-R 21st March 2015, 5:24 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

johnny gtir wrote:Audi conversion once done simple swap via haldex controller

You ever drove a 200sx bill will give you some idea

Haldex won't give you rwd, it would give you fwd or variable split awd via the hydraulic variable rear diff .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum