Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shot peening gearbox

+7
MonkOnAToilet
ducie54
GTI-R US
nomad
gtir_woody
gtir_pimp
johnny gtir
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Shot peening gearbox Empty Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 7:47 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Has any body had there gearbox shot peened? Iv heard this a good way of strengthening metal, but would it be a good idea on our gearboxes? What metal is it made of? Thinking of having the gears them selves shot peened instead of spending silly money on quaife gear set! But if the gears are stronger the case needs strengthening, thinking of fiber glassing the end of the case like bob put Into the how do section, but was thinking of having it shot peened as well to strengthen the whole thing, what are people's thoughts? Cheers

2Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:03 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Heard good reports also heard the crogenic works well is it the box you cryo and the gears you shotpeen

3Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:23 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Looking into it you can cryo the gears and shot peen then have them polished, not too sure about the box, may have to ring a company and see what they say? What are our boxes made of?

4Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:35 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

They're made of chocolate!

I have a just put a shot peened box back on the wide arch car my mate now has off me. Will have to wait and see how long it lasts.

Apparently someone was running massive bhp on a shot peened box that just wouldn't break even after loads of full blown launches and was only used for drag racing

5Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:37 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

gtir_pimp wrote:They're made of chocolate!

I have a just put a shot peened box back on the wide arch car my mate now has off me. Will have to wait and see how long it lasts.

Apparently someone was running massive bhp on a shot peened box that just wouldn't break even after loads of full blown launches and was only used for drag racing

Was actually going to say apart from chocolate Razz ,that's good to hear, so you can shot peen our boxes then?! When you say massive bhp do you know roughly what sort of power? Over 500bhp?

6Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:44 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I believe @ducie54 has had a gearset shot peened or similar before. Might have something to add? Smile

7Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:46 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

Bob knows the person that had the box, was apparently 570bhp. Was actually Bob's old.box I think and its lasted quite a few years.

8Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 8:50 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Well it's looking like a good avenue to go down so far, perhaps bob could shed a little light on this?

9Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 9:48 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

He might tomorrow, he's having a tattoo done right now. Think he said he was having a big capital W on each arse cheek so every time he bends over it said WoW!

10Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 10:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Or mom depending on wich way up your viewing Laughing

11Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 10:17 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

Hahahahaha I didn't think about that one! Wow mom

12Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 10:21 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

^^ that's gold haha moonie

13Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 18th January 2015, 10:47 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Tats all done lol

Yeah was the first pulsar I ever had which I had the box shotpeened well gears not the casing. Wasn't dear either think at the time was about fiver a gear but may have gone up now no doubt.
I never ever used the box as a quaife came up for sale which I ended up buying but sold the box to someone in geordieland think his name was browny or something then it moved on and ended up in around 3-4 big powered cars and finally I ended up back with it again when I bought the cf wrapped car that clare had at the rr day in Milton keynes, it was then removed and sold on again and can't remember who has it now.
But the wrapped car that clare had was at one stage running over 570 with that box fitted and the guy (les) that owned it was trying to run in the 9s but never quite achieved it, then his engine blew up and I bought the car

Funny thing is that I wished I had kept that box as throughout the years of it being trouble free I have blown 3 quaife gear sets plus a dog box so should have stuck with that lol
The company that did the shotpeening was in Northampton but can't remember what there name was, it was also fitted with the fibreglass tail glove we made and had been launched a fair few times but no breakage to casing or anything
Could be a one off...........who knows! but I'm amazed it's still going strong, so deffo worth doing

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

14Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 19th January 2015, 12:18 am

ducie54

ducie54

gtir_woody wrote:I believe @ducie54 has had a gearset shot peened or similar before. Might have something to add? Smile

I had my transfer gears Cryo"d, shot peend and the factory machine groves removed. I will get the quaife gearset done also.

15Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 19th January 2015, 3:54 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I think good condition gears shot peened in a cryo treated case rebuilt to good tolerances can last well.
Gearbox is better than people give it credit for.
any form of strengthening on the nose of the end casing also can be a gearbox life saver.
Quite a few types have been done with resin, metal swarf & alloy girdle plates. I saw some over 7 years ago from Nissan 4wd cars in Russia, Malaysia & Australia. One with similar idea to Str Motorsport was done in Canada.
Do have a few pics I will post as most original sources gone now.

16Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 2:08 pm

MonkOnAToilet

What would be the first step in trying to prolong a gearboxes life? I just have a standard one atm but would like to run a bit more power, around 300bhp at some point.

17Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 3:25 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Just be sympathetic with the gear changes and don't launch it to hard and I'd of thought you'd be fine at that sort of power?

18Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 3:47 pm

MonkOnAToilet

I honestly dont know, I've just heard everyone talking shit about how useless they are whenever i mention i have Pulsar haha. Any way i can tell if i have an aftermarket fitted? apart from taking it apart and looking lol

19Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 3:52 pm

shroom

shroom

I would have thought you would be fine too. I'm sure its people that break boxes not really the box itself (within reason of course).

I have had good power GTiRs and driven them properly and never had any issues with the boxes. maybe I'm lucky but all cars have "problems" so I wouldn't worry too much. I would be more worried about the clutch.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

20Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 3:57 pm

MonkOnAToilet

Ya, im not looking to make a ridiculous number, just want enough power to keep up with my brothers evo...

The clutch deffo doesnt feel like a factory one just from how stiff the peddle is.

21Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 4:02 pm

shroom

shroom

That's good then so you should be fine, although there is no guarantee with and 20+ year old car I guess to it is a gamble but I'm sure it will be fine from past experience. As with Pete his car is running over 400bhp and he is looking at different options for his car. If you are worried maybe try to pick up another stock box and have it shot peened as the thread discusses. Seems like a lot cheaper than forking out for another gearset

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

22Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 4:09 pm

MonkOnAToilet

Ya that sounds like the best route to go for now.

Cheers.

23Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 5:54 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Its alright saying shot peen am i wrong here but surley there is alot of wear on the cogs after 20 year ?

24Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 6:31 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Is the point of shot peening not to strengthen the metal, and strenghten any existing fatuiged areas?

25Shot peening gearbox Empty Re: Shot peening gearbox 22nd January 2015, 6:37 pm

stevie904

i had the complete gearset in my old standard gearbox shot peened which shit itself on the dyno stripping 4th gear on the second power run so that was a complet waste of time and money.
we all seem to be concentrating on the gears but what about the nissan bearings has anyone thought about those.
frank aka turblio replaced his standard bearings in his box with a different type which is still going and taking abuse on the track with no problems whatsoever on a standard gearset.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum