Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Audi TT 1.8T 225

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 6:31 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Anybody ever owned one of these? I know its a hairdresser car but my mate has just bought one and wondered if there is anything to look for on them?

2Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 7:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ive worked on a couple of them pete quite a complex car with electrics .... but if you get a troublesome one its going to rape your pocket lol

3Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:07 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good job my mates got money then Smile
Needs a few bits so we knocked the seller down. Needs a set of front lower arms, droplinks, rear discs + pads and bonnet needs attention as the laquer is shot in places.

4Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:13 pm

GTIR James

Depends on what year it is. I'd stay well clear of the older ones. My misses had one & it was grief from day one. She loved the car but I wouldn't let her have another.
I'd say I spent more time working on that than the pulsar.
Changed oil pump & strainer.
Cam chain tensioner ( these run cambelt & chain)
Water pump & cambelt
Thermostat
Fuse box
Drop links
Cv boots & joints
Front lower arm bushes
Rear shocks
The list is endless.

Stuff to look out for is noise on start up. Possible strainer. oil pump or cam tensioner.
Quattro not working, corrosion to rear haldex unit wiring $$$$$$
Engine over heating. Live feed for cooling fan literally melts in fuse box.
Turbo noise & smoke

In all fairness tho if you get a well maintained one with regular oil changes etc carnt see there being to many probs.

5Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:25 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Yeah its an older one; 99 plate with 107K on the clock, just had water pump and cam belt done. Did sound slightly rattly on startup but plenty of oil squirting over the place when I took the filler cap off. We're gonna give it a full service as its sat for a few weeks but not planning on modifying yet as its completely standard.

6Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:34 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

if it rattles on cold start up it could be chain tensioner on a back of a head.... To list of bad bits add coil packs boos/vacuum leaks haldex unit (people don't change oil in them) earlier ones has problems wit rear trailing arms they had bearings instead of bushes bearing would seize up arm would snap... and maf might play up but won't bring any dtc it'll just lack of power.. and they say that pulsars are unreliable lol! 

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

7Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:42 pm

GTIR James

Noise on start up is pretty normal on the tts. If it gets worse your looking at low oil pressure & possible fecked cam tensioner.
My misses one did it. Changed strainer, oil pump & cam tensioner & it cured it.
Ppl on the tt forums always say the strainer pickup pipes get blocked.

8Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:44 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yep thats most of the list i went through ...shocks. pads .bushes . New seals on roof ....rear bulbs several times .... washer bottle spouted a leak .... oh and the dodgy hazard switch wich is a common fault and its fiddly to get to especially if you got big hands ....to be fair the engine wasnt bad .... just the rest of it around it ....i didnt think for a german car it was that well built .

9Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:48 pm

GTIR James

nomad wrote:Yep thats most of the  list i went through ...shocks. pads .bushes . New seals on roof ....rear bulbs several times .... washer bottle spouted a leak  ....  oh and the dodgy  hazard switch wich is a common fault and its fiddly  to get to especially if you got big hands ....to be fair the engine wasnt bad .... just the rest of it around it ....i didnt think for a german car it was that well built .

Agree. A few of my mates are vag guys & go on about the German quality. Bullshit. Plastic vacum that break when looking at them & electrics that melt. Evil or Very Mad 
Give me a old nissan any day of the week  Very Happy 

10Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:48 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Ah yes I forgot about the hazard switch is faulty as well. To top it off my mate has had it running tonight and he thinks the radiator is leaking Rolling Eyes

11Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:49 pm

GTIR James

Dash pods. That's another. Pixels go & incorrect fuel & coolant temp readings.......

12Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:51 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Think this car is gonna keep him busy  Laughing 

13Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 8:54 pm

GTIR James

pulsarmoley wrote:Think this car is gonna keep him busy  Laughing 

Sure will Pete. Best save a few pennies just incase cant fix it 

14Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 9:00 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

He better stick his e-type up for sale then  Razz 

15Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 9:16 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You have to pop the stereo out make sure you got the code obviously .... then there is a plastic section you can pop down in the top where the stereo was then you have to pop the plug on it wich is the tricky bit as the wires are tight then you can push it out from behind ....

16Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 9:25 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Im trying not to get too involved with it as he needs to learn to do stuff himself as I have enough to do but cheers for the info chaps Smile

17Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 21st July 2014, 9:34 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You know your end up doing it in the end pete  Laughing 

18Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 22nd July 2014, 4:02 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I know Sad

19Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 22nd July 2014, 8:12 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Dont be sad pete they are a joy to work on  Laughing 

20Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 22nd July 2014, 9:05 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I avoided helping him get the radiator out tonight, that took him 3 hours so im doing well so far Laughing

21Audi TT 1.8T 225 Empty Re: Audi TT 1.8T 225 23rd July 2014, 9:00 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

GTIR James wrote:
nomad wrote:Yep thats most of the  list i went through ...shocks. pads .bushes . New seals on roof ....rear bulbs several times .... washer bottle spouted a leak  ....  oh and the dodgy  hazard switch wich is a common fault and its fiddly  to get to especially if you got big hands ....to be fair the engine wasnt bad .... just the rest of it around it ....i didnt think for a german car it was that well built .

Agree. A few of my mates are vag guys & go on about the German quality. Bullshit. Plastic vacum that break when looking at them & electrics that melt. Evil or Very Mad 
Give me a old nissan any day of the week  Very Happy 
build quality tends to be well over-rated on the German stuff & the electrics including some of the Bosch stuff are far from Jap reliability.
If bonnet finish peeling would hint at possible light end damage repaired.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum