Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to check coil?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to check coil? Empty How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 7:23 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I'm just wondering how to go about checking the ignition coil?

I have a multimeter and I'm assuming you check it for resistance but how to I check it, which pins do I connect my multimeter up to? And what kind of readings should I get from it?

I have a misfire with my plugs gapped to 0.7mm so I have had to gap the to 0.9mm so I'm assuming I must havea weak component in the ignition system somewhere

2How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 7:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

https://2img.net/h/i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/nomad29_bucket/coiltest1.jpg

3How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 7:31 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Thanks a lot buddy, your on form with the info as usual Razz I'll go check the coil now and the pare one I have and I'll fit whichever is closer to the correct readings

4How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 7:55 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Ok just checked both of the coils I have

One reads 1.9 ohms between pins 1 and 2 and about 9200 ohms between 1 and 3

The other reads about 2.2 ohms between pins 1 and 2 and about 10,200 between 1 and 3

Does that mean they are both about fecked? because they are reading about twice the resistance they should be between pins 1 and 2!

5How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:00 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Pass Laughing 

Electrics are like witchcraft to me

6How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:02 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Lol I know the difference between the number 1 and 2 seams like nothing but in electrical terms double the resistance makes a big difference so I'm guessing those coils are not great? But I'm no electronics whizz, I'm just guessing

7How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:05 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I have no idea ... the chances of them both being fooked is unlikely .... swap it over mate see if there is any noteable difference ...

8How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:07 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I dont think they are both fooked but I think they might be on their way. It's just weird how it was missing with the plug gap a 0.7mm so I had to increase the gap  Suspect 

9How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:07 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Hardy172cup wrote:I'm just wondering how to go about checking the ignition coil?

I have a multimeter and I'm assuming you check it for resistance but how to I check it, which pins do I connect my multimeter up to? And what kind of readings should I get from it?

I have a misfire with my plugs gapped to 0.7mm so I have had to gap the to 0.9mm so I'm assuming I must havea weak component in the ignition system somewhere

I would have thought if you have increased the gap and it cured it then there cant be a problem with your ignition system as it would be harder to achieve a spark with a greater gap.

10How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:12 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I wonder why it was missing with the gap at 0.7mm then? I'm confused here lol

11How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:15 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Yeah that is a bit odd, I have heard of having too small a gap, say 0.6mm causing issues top end.

12How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 8:17 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

It does seem odd, I've ran the plugs at 0.7mm before and it seemed fine but when we gapped the to 0.7 earlier today it was missing on idle  confused 

13How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 9:05 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

is your timing right ?
plugs are cheap enough if I have issues like you have then you drive miles like you did I would bin them for a new set every time (probably overkill but I do it )

14How to check coil? Empty Re: How to check coil? 21st April 2014, 9:28 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

My timing was spot on when bob checked it for me about a month ago.

I will try another set of plugs because they did get a bit fouled up from when I had the boost leak from the dump valve on the way back from the rollers. Could well be part of the problem, Darren cleaned them up for me but I have another set of nearly new plugs so I'll bang them in

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum