Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crap...running on 3 cilinders now...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 19th July 2013, 5:16 pm

EricYellow

EricYellow

After a bit of tinkering with the boost settings in the DTA (only set at 1,2 bar now) I put my foot down and was accelerating to about 7800rpm in second and it happened...
A bit of noise, the power was gone and it was running on 3 cilinders...
As it was still running and I was close to the shop I drove back, opened the bonnet and there was a hole in the rocker cover that wasn't there when I last seen it..
Looks like it has thrown a rocker...even with a set of rocker stoppers fitted.
Will take the cover off tomorrow and see what the damage is.
If anyone has a good rocker cover lying around give me a pm with the price incl shipping to The Netherlands please.
The rest of the parts I need will follow tomorrow....

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

damned unlucky eric
what cams you running and whats the rev limit on her?
have you shimmed it up properly? we normally set them to .10mm which seems to resolve that problem.

il have a rocker cover and rockers etc so let me know what you need, could have been a rocker was not seated correctly or one of the pivot points has come loose in the head but you wont know until its removed

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I've never heard of a rocker being thrown thru a rocker cover!
7800rpm is the usual revs that a rocker gets thrown isn't it?

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

EricYellow

EricYellow

I've got a set of 272 Tomei cams in it, shimmed it correctly when the engine was put back together about half a year ago.
So don't really know why it has happened.
The soft cut rev limiter is set at 8000, hard cut comes in at 8100.
I hope to know more tomorrow when I take it apart.

5Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Re: Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 19th July 2013, 10:03 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Keep us posted then how it goes then eric.

EricYellow

EricYellow

Damage so far....
1x rocker cover with a hole in it
1x rocker in bits
1x guide shim in 2 pieces

Bob, if you've got the parts (including a few shims) then send me a pm with the total incl shipping.

7Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Re: Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 20th July 2013, 10:13 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep will do eric

have you checked the pivot ball to make sure that's secure and not wobbling around?
also check the valve spring height to see that valves are fully closed, if one is slightly less in height then you may have bent a valve so worth checking.

also carefully examine the cams for fractures as it may well have been damaged and the last thing you need is that breaking after you have re-assembled it.
also im not 100% on this but are the tomei cams not designed for 200sx head.
we had a set in once and although the shim clearances were correctly set the engine was very noisy (topend) it turned out that the valve springs which came with the kit were not seating correctly at the head base and the head would have needed machining to accommodate them. there was too much preload being placed on the springs, and due to this was causing the valves to snap shut at higher revs which could be creating valve bounce........hense the thrown rocker, so worth checking whilst your at it.

8Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Re: Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 20th July 2013, 11:12 am

EricYellow

EricYellow

I checked the pivot ball for play, it's still fitted nicely.
To the naked eye the height of the springs is the same, I will check the compression just to be sure there are no bent valves.
The cams have some small marks on them, but no fractures can be seen on it (thankfully....)
The Tomei cams come in various types, there are different ones for the RNN14.
I also don't have a noisy topend, was nice and quiet intill it went wrong...
Will check the type of the cams though since I bought the car with the engine already fitted and I found a few things that weren't as they should be.....

EricYellow

EricYellow

Looks like they told me a bunch of bullsh*t when I got the car...
Just checked te cams for any markings to find out what duration etc they are.
Guess what...they're not Tomei cams....but 290 degrees 12,5mm lift CatCams inside.
Full boost (1,2 bar) no sooner then 4800-5000 rpm is suddenly explained.

10Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Re: Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 20th July 2013, 5:18 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah guessed there was a problem with the lift on the cams big duration and lift are not good for the R

I would rip them out eric and use them to hammer on the guys head lol
if needed I have a set of hks 272s in stock

11Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... Empty Re: Crap...running on 3 cilinders now... 20th July 2013, 6:20 pm

EricYellow

EricYellow

Make me a good price for everything and maybe we can make a deal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum