Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Towing a car trailer help please

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 5:03 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Right iv been trying to work out what I can tow on my driving license

The vosa state

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:

a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

am I reading this right thinking if I can buy a trailer that weighs 400kilo
hopefully a car at 1200kilo that means I need a trailer that Is rated at 1600kilo MAM?

Then next bit the vehicle needs to stat it can tow a trailer weighing 1600 or more?

Then the Car unladened must weigh the same if not more than the car and trailer together?

and then if I got a car at 1600kilo capable and the trailer weighed 1600 kilo

Me a passenger,extra fuel,spare tires and tools would have to weigh under 300kilos to keep under the total 3500kilo car+ trailer limit?

this has confused the hell out of me looking at the gov site and trying to speak to someone onthe phone that seems to only be able to re read what's written on the site as they don't understand it themselves? Lol

Any help would be much appreciated Smile

did look at a low loader (like bobs old transit)
But I'd still have to be under 3.5ton which I dnt think it would be Sad

Ps also as I have BE on my driving license I could drive a vehicle over and trailer that are fit to tow the combined weight and exceed the 3500kilo as long as someone is inthe vehicle with me that past there test before 1997 and allowed to tow larger trailers as long as I put L plates just on the trailer?

2Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 5:23 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

For me, I passed my car test 9 years ago and only have B on my license. So from what is said on the below link:

As you said Paul, you can tow a trailer over the 750KG providing that the combined weight of loaded trailer and vehicle doesn't exceed 3500KG. I read somewhere else that in this instance the trailer cant exceed 50% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle i.e kerb vehicle weight (2330KG)+ max weight of trailer @ 50% vehicle kerb weight(1165KG) = 3495Kg.

Whereas if you have B+E you can tow a trailer up to 3500KG and I think its then a case of trailer cant exceed 100% of the kerb weight of vehicle. i.e towing a loaded trailer of 2000Kg would require an empty towing vehicle of at least 2000KG.

For me I think if my Dad is in my truck with me and I put L-plates on when towing then I can tow that of a B+E license holder.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

3Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 5:29 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

hmmm think i may have to Sony trailer license then as I have the extra only license but unless its a kit car ours are quite heaven and others a bit complicated:(
Didn't realise all vehicles state if they can tow or not and normally states what it can tow on the vin plate I think!

4Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 5:51 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Its such a grey area, my Dad works for the police so I had him ask a copper once and even they couldn't give him an answer? Rolling Eyes

5Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 6:04 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Cheers Danny

I'm not sure if its due to wheni past my test about towing? who can iactually call to find out what I can tow? Sad if I can tow guna sort out a vehicle and prob a twin axle clubman trailer from Brian James Smile

6Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 6:46 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

In the most simple terms i know loads of people who do it with caravans trailers and get away with it but i also know if your near vosa area or weigh bridge they will fine you and points for driving not in accordance to licence.i personally i know x2 people who got done as far as i can understand max is 3.5 ton vehicle trailer and whats on it so baisically your look looking at a vehicle empty trailer and possibly a bare shell of a car at very most. It is a grey area but both these got done and tried to fight it was more hassel than its worth.

7Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 8:22 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Cheers for the info mate someone I know got caught out round here with a 2 bike trailer and they couldn't prove they was legally allowed to tow it! Just emailed a instructor I know to see how much training and a test will be

8Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 8:34 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

When did you pass your test????

Licences held before 1 January 1997 can have a max train weight of 7000 kg

car upto 3500 kg with trailer upto 3500kg
car must be capable i'e landcruiser amazon to pull 3500kg
vin plate has towing weights on them

if you passed your test after 1 january 1997 you can tow up to 400kg (sure it's 400kg )behind you on your licence

Need more than that and you need to take your trailer test

If they catch you towing when you don't have the correct licence they will take your car and trailer off you and take you to court for driving not in accordance to your licence ..

9Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 10th June 2013, 8:43 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Dont get me wrong lots of people get away with it but i towed to london and was flying my bro drove back he got stoped and good story to tell about what actully happened but i wont write it all. He took 3 points for speeding but the traffic officer said it was the least penalty he could give him and he had just droped off his sargent if he had not the sargent would of threw the book at him speeding 3 points driving not in accordance with licence 5 points which also voids insurance which is 6 points. They make you leave the trailer or dont allow you to drive on that was empty trailer but twin wheeled iveco van so it alone weighed alot plus trailer

10Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 13th June 2013, 9:35 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

http://www.uktow.com/mobile/index.asp

An instructor just gave us this link pretty good for choosing an appropriate vehicle to tow:)

11Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 13th June 2013, 9:36 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

And you'll be glad to know if your daily commute is a db9 you will be able to tome your pulsar on a trailer behind it Wink

12Towing a car trailer help please  Empty Re: Towing a car trailer help please 13th June 2013, 9:52 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I feel a sudden price hike on db9's coming onĀ lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum