Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Battery keeps dying

+6
houghy_1
GTI-R US
johnny gtir
Stu
nomad
Scooby_killer
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 15th March 2013, 7:37 pm

Scooby_killer

Scooby_killer

Yes bob that's what I've been doing I thought that's how you do it? stupid of me, how am I suppose to do it from the plus or negative side

27Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 15th March 2013, 7:46 pm

johnboy

johnboy

If you're putting the meter where you say then it needs switching to AMPS so it's measuring current. Should only show a few milliamps with everything off. Voltage won't change much. Just don't try to start the car if the meter's in that position.. bom

28Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 15th March 2013, 10:25 pm

Scooby_killer

Scooby_killer

Bugger my multimeter doesn't do amps it's only a cheap one will have to buy a new one that reads amps 2morow and give it another go
Thanks for all the advice so far guys really appreciated

29Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 16th March 2013, 12:00 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

johnboy wrote:If you're putting the meter where you say then it needs switching to AMPS so it's measuring current. Should only show a few milliamps with everything off. Voltage won't change much. Just don't try to start the car if the meter's in that position.. bom

yes as the man john says
you need to check for amp drain not voltage as it will show batt voltage

if your drawing a lot of amps then disconnect the + side from alternator and see if amperage drops off significantly, if so then i reckon its your alternator
if thats ok then carry out the fuse check as previously stated

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

30Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 16th March 2013, 9:54 pm

Scooby_killer

Scooby_killer

Ok so bought a new multimeter today that reads amps didnt have much time to do the full test pull fuses out etc just did a quick test on the negative terminal with every switch off got a reading of 0.05amps draw is that a lot what's its suppose to be roughly will do it properly tomorrow by pulling each fuse out one at a time see if draw drops

31Battery keeps dying - Page 2 Empty Re: Battery keeps dying 16th March 2013, 11:31 pm

johnboy

johnboy

That's very little. A car battery should supply that sort of current for months. The radio and alarm could easily take that much so that looks OK. Open and shut the boot a few times to make sure it's not the boot light getting stuck on occasionally. It may be as was suggested earlier that the battery is faulty and discharges itself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum