Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

big power engine rebuild thread

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1big power engine rebuild thread Empty big power engine rebuild thread 14th September 2020, 10:46 am

Murty

ok so il admit the title and description may be a tad 'click bait' but non the less the engine is being rebuilt ready for more hp but as a person of modest means this is in the distant future.

a couple of years ago i blew the head gasket and had the engine thrown back together with a new head about 8 months later it went again, so i filled the water system with leak stopper which reduced the water loss. I drove it for another 12-18 months just topping up the water and no stat, i event raced the car at Santa pod with the blown HG 12.0 if you are wondering (pb 11.Cool.

After being disappointed with the previous engine rebuild it was clear to me that this time get it done and get it done right. i have used Impulse Developments in Stockpot for several other jobs in the past and i am aware of his build on some race engines. with shopping list containing: forged rods, ARP stood kit, a gasket to get it near as poss to standard compression, new piston rings and the head and block skimmed, (i already have forged pistons). a price was agreed saved up and dropped off.

on pull down there was few cracks on the head, with crack finder found many cracks. he gave me a price to repair the head and I decided to go a head with the repair, as i considered buying a second hand head which could cost approx the same as the repair work and there is no guarantees that it it wont come without cracks.

Tl;Dr engine and head fucked here is a build thread.

big power engine rebuild thread 01_wha10
big power engine rebuild thread 02_wha10
the cracks

big power engine rebuild thread 03_wha10
cracks drilled out

Last edited by Murty on 14th September 2020, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

2big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 14th September 2020, 10:49 am

Murty

big power engine rebuild thread 04_wha11
big power engine rebuild thread 05_wha11
closer view of the drilled out cracks

big power engine rebuild thread 06_wha11
build up with weld and cutting out the valve seats

3big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 14th September 2020, 10:50 am

Murty

big power engine rebuild thread 07_wha10
big power engine rebuild thread 08_wha10
drilling out the seats

big power engine rebuild thread 09_wha10
inserting the new seats

4big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 14th September 2020, 10:54 am

Murty

big power engine rebuild thread 10_wha10
big power engine rebuild thread 11_wha10
shaping the valve seats.

big power engine rebuild thread 12_wha10
polished head some where near finished, another polish to go.

5big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 14th September 2020, 10:55 am

Murty

big power engine rebuild thread 13_wha10
big power engine rebuild thread 14_wha10
and exhaust porting.

i will keep you updated with more pics as they happen.

6big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 15th September 2020, 5:45 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Looks good...

Don't skimp on anything when it comes to engine, that includes ancillaries and also transmission, I skimped on a few things and ended up redoing the jobs twice

7big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 18th September 2020, 9:32 am

Murty

thanks for your feed back i am already running the quafie set that i fitted new, with a gearbox brace along with the competition clutch, as a matter of routine i had both the gearbox and transfer box stripped down and checked. i dont really see the need for racing cams at this stage as 99% it is driven on the street the rest maybe on a track. my short term goals are to have a better than new engine that i can exploit with some decent mods. hopefully in the not to distant future it can be mid to low 11s.

8big power engine rebuild thread Empty Re: big power engine rebuild thread 27th April 2021, 1:29 pm

ADSgtir

If chasing increased power then the thermal management is no 1 priority , followed by mechanical strength and then balance and friction .
Mechanical strength reduces with temp and reduces faster the closer you get to melting point of materials where failure is guaranteed.
Oil and water cooling enhancement is the start point ,oil cooler and increased coolant flow and quantity to get stable constants regardless of power developed .
The cylinder head is a focal point for temperature there is a lot of action going on here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum