Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No boost

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No boost Empty No boost 4th September 2018, 7:13 pm

James

Hi guys,

Picked up a 91 with 77K and on the way home realized the car was no longer boosting over 0 on the stock boost gauge. Car obviously feels like it too. Checked all the lines and pulled off the intercooler, nothing obvious leaking or disconnected. Haven't checked lines behind the intake manifold (dont have a smoker). I can hear the turbo quietly "spooling" with partial throttle but only to 0 psi so that leads me to believe it's not seized. I've read that the Watergate actuator rod clips come off commonly, but dont have any easy way to check without pulling off shield and piping.
Car doesn't really feel like there's a giant vacuum leak but I am definitely out of tune with 90's cars. Idles fine, runs good for being NA. Also at idle we unplugged a couple vacuum lines (to boost gauge) to create our own vacuum line and idle conditions didn't even flinch. Made no difference.

Any advice?

Thank you!

2No boost Empty Re: No boost 4th September 2018, 10:02 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Have you tried running unlimited BOOST? What set up do you have ?

3No boost Empty Re: No boost 4th September 2018, 10:43 pm

James

nomad wrote:Have you tried running unlimited BOOST? What set up do you have ?

Stock

Sent from Topic'it App

4No boost Empty Re: No boost 5th September 2018, 1:01 am

James

Pulled off the turbo side of the intercooler hose today and had a bit of oil in it, seems like the turbo might of crapped the bed.

Anyone have recommendations for rebuild kits?

Sent from Topic'it App

5No boost Empty Re: No boost 5th September 2018, 9:05 am

mike74

mike74

A little oil in the inlet is normal...if its dripping out then not so normal.

I used these guys last year:
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/

They replaced the actual bearing cartridge for new, new 360° thrust bearing, a general refresh with new bearings and seals and an uprated compressor wheel for just shy of £300. Turnaround is a matter of days too Very Happy
Its still holding up fine and has been running 1.2 bar daily

6No boost Empty Re: No boost 5th September 2018, 12:35 pm

James

mike74 wrote:A little oil in the inlet is normal...if its dripping out then not so normal.

They replaced the actual bearing cartridge for new, new 360° thrust bearing, a general refresh with new bearings and seals and an uprated compressor wheel for just shy of £300.

Yeah it was a nice little puddle in there, I'm in the US so I'll explore some local turbo rebuilders. You just dropped off the turbo and that was it?

Sent from Topic'it App

7No boost Empty Re: No boost 5th September 2018, 1:10 pm

mike74

mike74

Ah, maybe not quite such a handy link for you then lol!
All I had to do was post it to them then once they had a look, they gave me a phone to discuss what I wanted to do

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]