Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gearbox help

+6
johnny gtir
Gostek
Mr B
Cosmic73
Ryaneg6freak
Ricks1983
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gearbox help Empty Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 2:09 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

ive changed my gearset to a quaife helical set and we’ve stumbled across a problem! Now To start off when the 2nd gear is engaged the synchro ring is fouling on the input shaft, so Neil has compared my synchro ring to his and there is a big difference between them. I will post some pics up and if anyone could shed some light on this it would be very helpful.
First is mine:
Gearbox help 0ae5d810
And here is Neil’s, notice his has shamfers on the synchro ring:
Gearbox help 97f7a010
Is this an uprated part from quaife or a revised item and would anyone have a spare one like Neil’s at all?

2Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 2:54 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

I need to see pics, and could you please upload them with the forum uploader, or use Flickr? Otherwise I can't see them

3Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 2:58 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

Gearbox help 2819da10
Gearbox help D20f8810I did post pics but will try again

4Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 3:30 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

My bet without seeing the pictures is that it's a Quaife specific synchro. I'd definitely contact them and see what they suggest. It's not unheard of to get an incorrect part.

5Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 3:39 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

This pic is from Bobs post a few months back showing a view of his quaife box.
Note the massive chamfers on his 1st/2nd selector ring too?
I may be wrong but im thinking that these allneed machining before you can use them in a quaife build?
Gearbox help Image10

6Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 3:51 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

I’m getting that idea too mate, I’m going to do a bit more digging and see if I can get my spare one machined down

7Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 4:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You on about the syncro reverse ring tooth edge taper for better reverse tooth meshing .
Possibly difference from oem manufacture or it not specific one from a gtir box .

8Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 1st April 2018, 5:12 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:You on about the syncro reverse ring tooth edge taper for better reverse tooth meshing .
Possibly difference from oem manufacture or it not specific one from a gtir box .
Yes, thats the part we're on about.
Another difference appears to be that the quaife input shaft diameter (the bit between 1st and 2nd gears). Its bigger on the quaife then oem which isnt going to help.

9Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 11:44 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I didn't think quaife kits needed any part alteration, never dealt with a fresh gearkit build though and only been inside one quaife kit box .
Best speaking to quaife direct for build info, bob probably knows fair bit on them too . don't see many quaife over here as silly expensive with shipping/import .

10Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 11:49 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Apparently there is a instruction how to machine this bit... Shame they don't send instructions with every gear set...

11Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 4:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ lol that shocking but much same as par and ppg for info then.
Why the f00k they can't put a build detail pdf on the quaife/par/ppg product page is beyond me .
quite a serious detail is part alterations, early par design wasn't liked due to machining requirement. Don't think the quaife worth the cost really and input shaft softer than original. Par best kit for 2.5-3.5K price range.

12Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 6:24 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well their excuse might be that Rick bought it through Demon Tweeks site and they don't have to supply that info to their retailers... But still ffs its 3k worth of gear set!

13Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 7:16 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I find there all not very forth coming with info as if they say for example it requires machining then they not going to get lots of people saying you said this said that and they will just say machine it within tolerance as boxes differ then again they are not liable

Maybe not in those words but you know what I mean ( plus they think every customer is a full on motorsport company

14Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 2nd April 2018, 7:21 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh but should be on quaife site product page.
par and ppg much same for piss poor details . Par had restrictions on shock proof oils as can cause issue with needle roller bearing lubrication but they don't tell you on the site details or with the product when buy it . So easy and free for them keep all details on product page via pdf downloads via official websites !
Want all details and build requirements before committing your purchase ideally :-/
Any other mods/machining needed in a quaife kit build ?

@Johnny , think be more liable if failing to include major details like that but I know where you coming from on keeping info limited so less liability issues .
It also better from sales perspective if don't complicate it by adding 'machining required'

15Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 5:47 am

splmum

splmum

But IF they know of the issue, machining and shockproof oil, and DO NOT disclose it at time of purchase, they are still liable and any failure or mis-alignment of gears/sychros, and it is covered under warranty due to the business NOT disclosing full details of any anomaly.

16Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 7:56 am

mike74

mike74

Its a shitty situation but I can fully understand why Quaiffe don't disclose that info. If they told folk from the outset they'd have to get components machined to fit their gear sets then the vast majority of punters would be put off by that (I know I would!).
Most people out there would just want a comprehensive 'kit' they could have fitted while their existing box is out of the car, maybe within a weekends work. This simply wouldn't happen if you threw machining work into the mix.
I would have a lot more respect for them if they included re-worked/modified components in their 'kit' to save these kind of issues happening. It simply isn't what people expect after paying so much for parts to drop into their boxes!
The word 'misleading' doesn't begin to cover it!! Sad

17Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 10:10 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Quaife sloppiness is simply shocking and they are a total liability! censored  censored
Not disclosing other gear box parts need re-machining otherwise they would 'totally fucking wreck' the box is simply shit beyond shit. censored  censored
All i can say is that Ricky is very, very lucky that we spotted that fouling before he fitted the box to his car.  pale

18Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 10:46 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh should have a basic parts and requirements manual supplied or online as pdf .
All the gearkit manufacturers much same, I only found out about shockproof oils and par needle rollers from speaking to a par tech over the phone .
As Mikes says, wouldn't be too hard for them include a machined reverse ring with the kit and you send yours back or something .
Is that the only mod required on quaife kits then !?

19Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 11:03 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Spoke to Ricky earlier (who had just spoke with Quaife) and the reverse idler also needs modifying. Once i get the details i'll post it up.

20Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 3:48 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

I have the email from quaife about the parts that need machining. I am very annoyed with them and I will be complaining to them about this, also was thinking of getting one of the admin to make a sticky post on this for future. I can forward the images I have to anyone so drop me a message

21Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 4:15 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes makes sense to sticky it have you my number

22Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 4:45 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Start a separate post with the info and pictures and il make it a sticky ...

23Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 7:20 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

I’ve made a post in the gearbox section now so upto you if you want it to be sticky, cheers

24Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 8:03 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

How the hell can a company sell a product to some one ( 3 bloody grands worth!!!) knowing full well that it isnt going to actually fit or work?? Why the f*%k can't they just make it right the first time!? That's what you're paying them for in the first place, a solid reliable kit! Not something that needs further work to actually do the job.....it's crazy! If any one can make it work rick it's Neil! I know! Thousands of miles later and with some pretty serious hammer and power going through it my box is still as sweet as ever!

25Gearbox help Empty Re: Gearbox help 3rd April 2018, 8:27 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I ain’t on commission for them honest nor do I agree with them not saying but they will say it’s a motorsport product each box can differ and they sort of expect you to sort it.

Neil was spot on in spotting it

Some many bits kits req modding our the box I am not suprised by the fact. Again I repeat these statements do not mean I think it’s right of them to do it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum