Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Battery relocation

+2
nomad
Stephenc4877
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Battery relocation Empty Battery relocation 11th March 2017, 8:31 pm

Stephenc4877

Any of you guys know what size fuss I need to run with a battery relocation.

2Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 11th March 2017, 8:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Mines straight to the battery with no fuse ... where are you planning to stick the fuse ... are you locating the battery to the boot ???

3Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 11th March 2017, 9:34 pm

Stephenc4877

Close to the battery incase the cable ever rubs on metal it will stop a straight short. Yea either boot or behind the passenger seat mines just for the track so I've no back seats.

4Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 11th March 2017, 10:36 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Mines behind the drivers seat. Run a circuit breaker switch rather than a fuse, at least if it trips during high load you can reset it.

5Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 12th March 2017, 1:14 pm

ADSgtir

Battery relocation :
1. Use quality cable
This involves avoiding halfords , yeah I know they open on Sunday's ,but they stock total shit , they source Chinese shit , wherever possible as it maximises profits . -Avoid
Cheap Chinese cable use a plastic outer insulation , this has poor fire resistance , read about as close to zero as is possible , it also has poor conductor wires - so the cable has to be thicker as a result .
The longer cable run at high current can drop voltage along its length .
Quality cable will be at least 2 cable sizes thinner , carry the same current , has insulation good to 400volt plus (despite being thinner) and will withstand a direct short circuit or fire for 10 mins - this gives you time to pull over and switch off ignition .
A circuit breaker is a good idea , next to the battery , and quite cheap around £25 , breakers need to be in open air if possible ( not buried under carpet or such ) as they are thermal devices .
Fuses and breakers actually pass more than the rating on them but only for fractions of a second and if too warm will keep tripping as a nuisance - breakers are better than fuses .
Try a test : get 3 inches of halfords cable and put under a fag lighter - watch what happens = your car full of black choking smoke and on fire !!! - causing more short circuits as it burns !!

6Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 12th March 2017, 9:20 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Do you run. Fuse/breaker or risk a short ? Thought those breakers had a nasty habit of tripping over bumps in the road etc ?

7Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 12th March 2017, 10:02 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Good point, I know Stu was/ is running one for a long time?

8Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 12th March 2017, 10:07 pm

ADSgtir

A decent circuit breaker should never trip over bumps , there are different types , panel mounted , flush mounted etc , those with a soft push to reset /trip would be more likely to trip if mounted horizontal .
Panel mounted , although a bit bigger and needing a panel making would never trip - these they fit in aircraft - it would be disaster if every CB tripped on landing .
My car came with the battery relocated and is both poor cable and unprotected - another job to do , any short will give over 1000 amps and weld the cable , much smoke and drama !
I would guess that the insurance would not pay out for a total loss
Some cars have OEM boot mounted batteries and will have fusible links , you could use cables and links etc from one of these from the breakers - Mini Cooper s , Volvo , merc , BMW etc

9Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 12th March 2017, 10:16 pm

ADSgtir

Secondly, the Communities and Local Government office figures reveal, 68 per cent of the 12,000 accidental car fires were caused by vehicle defects with "wire and battery" problems sparking the lion's share. Only seven per cent of car fires were caused by crashes.

From a telegraph article

10Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 13th March 2017, 2:14 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I was driving along once and the battery terminal grounded on the bonnet, there was ALOT of smoke lol

11Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 13th March 2017, 7:31 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

agree but as I say a lot you see listed certainly ain't aircraft standard they are for audio systems which are none critical if they trip. Just buy wise.

What is the general size 60-80A or ?

12Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 13th March 2017, 7:40 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Been trying to find the thread, Stu and I were talking about this if my memory is right .

13Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 13th March 2017, 8:56 am

ADSgtir

In one direction , you have your charge current , so what is the alternator max out put ? 100 amp ? , in the other direction you have your cold cranking output to the starter .
There is a factor for starter current usually around 3 , ( any fuse or breaker takes more than it's rated amperage for a very short time) this happens due to something called back EMF (everyone's asleep now - lol) it's a small engine , so I would say 100-150 fuse breaker should cover it .
Once upon a time I had a classic mini , and the engine earth came off , probably rusted off , and it decided to use the choke cable as the return - FIRE !! , smoke pouring out of the dash and bonnet ...:..
After that I've always fitted a fire extinguisher either front of drivers seat or in the boot .
All my jap cars seem to have a boot release , they must have known you can run to the boot and leave the key in the ignition -lol
Saying that , I've not yet fitted a firex to the pulsar .....
Strangely if you tell your insurance , they put up your premium ..... Non OEM standard fitment ??????

14Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 13th March 2017, 9:45 am

ADSgtir

agree but as I say a lot you see listed certainly ain't aircraft standard they are for audio systems which are none critical if they trip. Just buy wise.

What is the general size 60-80A or ?

Unfortunately wise buying seldom happens with car wiring/ electrics , often many thousands are spent and many hours spent choosing car components . Cranks , pistons ,cams , ecu and so on , but the wiring ... About £4.99

15Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 14th March 2017, 8:37 pm

shroom

shroom

Hmm I wish my Pulsar would set on fire sometimes lol

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

16Battery relocation Empty Re: Battery relocation 14th March 2017, 9:01 pm