Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Battery relocation?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Battery relocation? Empty Battery relocation? 19th July 2012, 10:37 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Alrite guys, Whats the pro's & cons of putting the battery in the boot?
Is there any problems like, "loss in current" etc?

And is 4awg stereo amp wire ok to use?

Also ive heard that you need to "vent" the battery so it dousnt build up gasses? Could some1 explain this & how to do it?

Chees
Gaz Very Happy

2Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 19th July 2012, 11:01 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I used a exhaust rubber mount as a live peg/terminal and also bolted the earth all the way through. .. I used bettery cable was abit expensive for the cable cost around the £30 mark plus about 20 for all the terminals i havnt noticed any drop although ppl have recommend getting a bigger battery not heard about the vent thing though tbh

3Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 19th July 2012, 11:10 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I use a sealed race battery so it dose not apply. venting is a lesser problem these days as batteries are alot more sealed than they used to be ( i could be wrong) but baisically if its going in a box put a vent or small hole in even the cable entry would do i would say. Advantages is weight to the rear as these cars more so if stripped are alot heavyer up front with engine box transfer box etc. more room in engine bay. Handy to earth the fuel pump. I personally ran a earth cable as well as a live back up to the engine bay to make sure everything up there was getting a good earth at the original earthing point.The bigger the cable the better solid core is the best but not as easy to get or run in. Mine is stranded sound system cable.remember a good block for engine bay to join all existing lives in after you chop the battery terminal off

4Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 19th July 2012, 11:29 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Ok cheers lads Wink if i just run a 4awg earth from battery to chassis as ill try it this way first as i just aint got £40 for more cable length to reach from bonet to the boot at the min "call me tight" Rolling Eyes What do i do with the original battery to chassis earth cable under the bonnet? Do i just remove it or do i earth it to somewhere else?

5Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 7:42 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I used the same point then run it to the back for the earth if your not running one through clean up the excisting earth to the body then bolt it back down then obviously do the same in the boot just make sure you get a good bolt hole and clean it i just did it all the way through for piece of mind tbh

6Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 10:38 am

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Ok doke, cheers lads Wink

7Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 12:45 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

No problemo dude Very Happy

8Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 2:10 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes the original batt to earth cable is also your main engine to body earth so you must leave that connected or youll have lots of weird electrical probs arise!
then as leighton said just run a seperate batt to earth lead in the boot

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

9Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 2:20 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

gtirus wrote:yes the original batt to earth cable is also your main engine to body earth so you must leave that connected or youll have lots of weird electrical probs arise!
then as leighton said just run a seperate batt to earth lead in the boot

So the earth cable under the bonnet is "connected from chassis to battery" obviusly lol, So do you mean i leave it connected to the cassis & connect the battery end to the engine or back to the chassis? I hate wireing Laughing

10Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 2:35 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes if you look at the cable its split and goes from battery terminal to chassis ground then bolts to either gearbox or thermostat housing

well leave the bit on that bolts to chassis and engine then cut the other part off that goes to the batt terminal

11Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 2:38 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Got you, cheers Bob Wink

EDIT:
Just had a look & my earth cable is just 1 strait peice of wire from batt terminal to gearbox, It dousnt run from battery to chassis to gearbox like you explained Bob? So all i need to do is cut batt terminal off & connect to chassis? is that right?

12Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 3:13 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

corrrrecccct Wink

13Battery relocation? Empty Re: Battery relocation? 20th July 2012, 3:22 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Sweet Wink

Sponsored content