Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Radiator fans refuse to kick in

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Radiator fans refuse to kick in 17th November 2016, 9:06 pm

Biggs

Biggs

Peeps,

Working on a friends R and having issues with the radiator fans not kicking in at temp. Coolant will just over heat and boil. Fans work when power is linked through the relay. Relay tested ok.
Got the car hooked up to the laptop, ecu temp sensor is working ok, as soon as it reads 95 degrees it shows the cooling fans are activated but actually don't switch. As it's the ecu that controls the fans, am I right in thinking it may be the ecu at fault??

2Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Re: Radiator fans refuse to kick in 18th November 2016, 11:09 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

With engine running Check the ecu, pin9 for fan relay (Double check wiring diagram first). it switches earth to trigger relay.
With multimeter see if ecu is switching that pin, if not switching when ecu diagnostics show switched it board fault .
You can also do a quick test of wiring between ecu & relay by using a test lead and manually earthing pin 9 and fans should come on, if not go back to relay and test trigger side voltage feed to relay and continuity of trigger wire to ecu pin9

Check fuses too as high and low amp feeds to relay are both fused .

Radiator fans refuse to kick in SR20-DET-GTi-R-wiring-diagram
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfdmNGVGhpTE94V1E/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by Mr B on 17th December 2018, 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : image link updated)

3Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Re: Radiator fans refuse to kick in 19th November 2016, 1:49 pm

Biggs

Biggs

Spent some time on it today, gone through all of the above (many thanks) it's looking like it's the board at fault.
After an ecu and the mounting frame as it's missing!

4Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Re: Radiator fans refuse to kick in 12th August 2017, 10:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Some more info on ecu fan control and temperatures fans switch on just to complete things for others searching >
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfOXY5MnFQZVk1Q0U/view

5Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Re: Radiator fans refuse to kick in 12th August 2017, 10:46 pm

mike74

mike74

Does the car still have the air con installed? My fans didn't work when I first got it but it turned out that all I had to do was bridge a two pin connector down the nearside of the rad to fix it. When the previous owner removed the air con he didnt do this and the fans never worked. When i switch the air con on now all it does is manually switch on the fans. They come on themselves when they're meant to as well. Worth checking anyway...

6Radiator fans refuse to kick in Empty Re: Radiator fans refuse to kick in 12th August 2017, 11:38 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Best approach on fan issue if nothing basic found in visual inspection is ground the pin 9 switching earth that goes to the fan relay low current switching side .
Doing this you split circuit in half and pending on result look at one half or other for the fault .
If fans come on you know all okay and it sensors to ecu or ecu itself (speed signal plays a role) .
If fans don't come on look at fan relay/wiring, fuses and connectors/fans .
Poster above had burnt ecu controller, used ecu had him sorted .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum