Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bleed valves

+2
Mr B
DC313
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bleed valves Empty Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 1:25 pm

mreguest

mreguest

howdo!

so people tell me about bleed valves...

over the years many have said don't you dare, danger stay away!

i have had one of these for years:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/turbo-smart-single-stage-boost-controller.html

it is electric switchable on/off and currently have it set to off=wastegate=0.6bar(ish) and on=1.0bar

i never turn it off so why not use one of these?:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbosmart-Boost-Tee-Boost-Adjustable-Control-Valve-In-Black-/360991949195?hash=item540ccc018b:g:t7MAAOSwofxUeXTT

i quite simply want to leave it at around 1 bar and get rid of the wiring.

answers on a postcard please Smile

Cheers
Adam

2Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 3:19 pm

DC313

DC313

How do Adam,

Sounds like you need to go for the 1 bar loop and save your pennies Smile

3Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 3:32 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

relief bleed valves like that and dawes are quite good as use the ball bearing spring control so it not permanently bleeding air like a cheap bleed valve or restrictor pushed in a vacuum pipe .
They give good rapid boost build up & constant results and ideal simple solution .
Electronic valve are good when trying control in gear boost or combat surge etc but electronic ones do need good setting up and leaving alone by pokey finger types ...
I like greddy units, apexi good but fiddly set well .

4Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 5:29 pm

shroom

shroom

Just get yourself a dawes device they are much cheaper than the turbosmart one.

I always have one to troubleshoot electronic controllers as they can be a pain in the arse at times with the solenoids going.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

5Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 6:55 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

1 bar loop is only good if you have a standard restrictor pipe fitted and a lot don't now

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=forge+boost+controller&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3nKfXjvTPAhWmOsAKHYeCAfkQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=nqsO4iA0yKV52M%3A

Other sites Inc uk or I have a contact for these and other parts but something like these I have used up to 1.3 bar with no issues sure they hold more

6Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 7:21 pm

mreguest

mreguest

thanks for the replies lads!

1 bar loop never really hits 1bar for me, wasn't far off but also not completely steady, and boost doesn't seem to rise as fast as turbosmart device. must be because the restrictor pipe is missing.

i hear the ball/spring configuraion is why the turbosmart boosts up fast. I noticed even with it switched on but turned down to 0.6-0.7 it was faster to spool to 0.6-0.7 than standard pipe configuration.

i will check out the dawes device again - but just by looking at them in the past i thought they were a bit ropy, i.e. something diy that works but is frowned upon. it looks like some brass connectors and there's loads of people doing DIY, for example:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=103279

checking ebay and MBCs range from £10 to £100ish...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmanual+boost+controller.TRS0&_nkw=manual+boost+controller&_sacat=0

i have regretted buying some cheap car stuff in the past hence considering the turbosmart manual vs electronic switched, and being a famous company...

shall research the forge ones and more ball and spring ones!
Cheers Smile

7Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 7:33 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Just watch as you seen all the turbosmart ones on e bay at the min 99p starting from China. I bet some people are buying them and selling them on surly they can not be genuine

8Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 24th October 2016, 10:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

There is loads of fakes like tial wastegates etc ....

9Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 25th October 2016, 5:54 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

There all at it mate walbro fuel pumps, Takata harnesses, omp steering wheels to name a few. Price is no way of telling neither.

I watched a thing on Tv where fake bottles of Smirnoff was making it into likes of bargain booze because the labels etc were that good just the vodka inside was not the best but to average person they could not taste the difference

10Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 25th October 2016, 6:14 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

to be fair the ball valve ones are super cheap in materials & manufacture really, turbosmart grimspeed prices are blatant pi55 take really and they visually over designed just to milk your wallet .
you can get decent ones for about 15-£25, easy enough upgrade the cheap ones to stainless or ceramic ball & better spring if needed .
way better than 1bar loop and gives you fine tuning get boost figure exact .

11Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 27th October 2016, 1:52 pm

mreguest

mreguest

£12 even came with a bit of pipe, i'll let you know... they have clearly ripped off the turbosmart ones. You can get these 'oto' ones for £6 direct from china but i couldn't be bothered waiting. THey are the same as epman etc...

Bleed valves 29966426544_b10d86bab7_zDSC_2316 by edward guest, on Flickr

Bleed valves 29966425074_a3d6844f11_zDSC_2315 by edward guest, on Flickr

seems to be pretty well made and after seeing the insides of many other famous ones, the principles are simple as people say, a ball, spring, adjustable valve and a hole, even has a locking grub screw.

And my electronic one is only the same but with a solenoid that creates the bleed hole... will be happy to rid my engine bay of my terrible wiring, pipes and cable ties Smile

12Bleed valves Empty Re: Bleed valves 27th October 2016, 4:56 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

those damn chinese, just don't care about patents lol, surprised ebay gets away as a platform for selling it though especially in usa oz & eu. think the dawes pressure valve design with body adjustment tensioning the ball spring was my favorite principal for simple manual control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum