Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting issue

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starting issue Empty Starting issue 24th June 2016, 7:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Since I've rewired my car with a Haltech ECU I have this starting issue. It sounds like the starter motor isn't getting enough power.

I currently have the ECU and starter motor wired to a distribution block under the dash with a 0 gauge cable running from the battery.

The battery is brand new.

Posted video below, forgive my alternator belt Laughing

https://vimeo.com/172074413

The wiring instructions said I should have all the haltech + wires connected directly to the battery but I thought it would be ok with my current setup, do you think this could be my problem or something else?

2Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 8:27 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If you got long cable run & quite few joints I would do voltage drop test from starter & if low move test through all joints & cables to see where bad . Do cranking amp test too if got clamp amp meter .
Is battery in boot & what spec is batt, what voltage ecu when cranking !?

3Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 8:54 am

ducie54

ducie54

You need a big ass earth cable to gearbox

4Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 9:14 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Mr B wrote:If you got long cable run & quite few joints I would do voltage drop test from starter & if low move test through all joints & cables to see where bad . Do cranking amp test too if got clamp amp meter .
Is battery in boot & what spec is batt, what voltage ecu when cranking !?

Thanks B, Ill take the multi-meter out tomorrow and see whats happening

ducie54 wrote:You need a big ass earth cable to gearbox

Thanks for the advice over the phone mate.

Ill try an earth near the starter, an earth near the dizzy and grounds for the ecu to the block.

5Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 9:32 am

ducie54

ducie54

Happy to help. Any time you need a big power wire you also need a big earth wire. Goes for anything you wire like fans and fuel pumps.

Now where's my rep point Smile

6Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 9:44 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

There it is Laughing

7Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 10:48 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Try a quality jump lead or 2 as temporary earth test , if earth lead short length it generally not need be as large as long run + wiring, check earthing at battery too, seen a few batt in boot with serious voltage drop through poor cable but mostly 1 bad join on + or eath . Nice little inspection job for a cold beer or 2 ...

8Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 24th June 2016, 10:58 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Indeed there will be a few beers sorting it out tomorrow afternoon mate Laughing The battery is just behind the drivers seat with a good earth and the 0 gauge cable following the tunnel to a distribution block mounted where the factory ecu would be.

9Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 25th June 2016, 6:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Put new earths on the engine, gearbox and battery and problem fixed, thanks for the help Smile

10Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 25th June 2016, 7:46 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Job jobbed then, how many beers that takeĀ  :-)

11Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 25th June 2016, 8:02 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

1 beer and half bottle of JD this arvo Laughing

edit, that included taking my plenum off aswell lol

12Starting issue Empty Re: Starting issue 25th June 2016, 9:05 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

hahaha :-)
Nice day here, about 32degC, bit of sun but not strong & light breeze. I not on the hard stuff, I got 3 bottles Itchitan green tea & lemon biscuits. JD would put me on the floor after 1/4 a bottle I think lol . Have fun ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum