Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stripped gear... x 2

+5
Cosmic73
Stu
GTI-R US
splmum
wrc
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 9:49 am

wrc

wrc

Hi guys.

I have 2 gearboxes that I have bought as part of my budget build. Both have a similar issue.

One has a stripped 4th, and another a stripped 3rd.

Now I only have the stripped 4th gearbox open. The other I haven't investigated. My question is can I just buy a 4th gear and also a 3rd gear etc? I presume I can? Reason being is I 'can' make 1 good box out of the two, but ideally I wanted to fix both so I have a good box and then a spare too.

This is the scenario:-

Stripped gear... x 2 G210

Stripped gear... x 2 G110

Now gearboxes are the 1 thing on a car I know very little about, a local friend will be doing the repairs for me but I just wanted to pre-empt the repairs if any of you guys can help. The car will only be running just over standard power and this build is unfortunately on a budget so quaifes etc are well out of the question.

I did have someone who apparently had lots of gearbox spares, but apparently overnight he now doesn't... lol so on the hunt.

I just wanted to clarify and get you guys advice.

Thanks chaps.

2Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 10:39 am

splmum

splmum

Can't you just strip down the two shafts and use the good gear from one box and rebuild it into the other, so you have one box rebuilt and ready to go.
When you have enough funds, because the 2 gear sets 3rd and 4th, from Nissan are going to cost you a motza.
You might be better off getting another busted box that has blown 1st and 2nd and use the 3rd and 4th gears from them, then you have your 2 boxes and a few spare parts left over.

3Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 10:49 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

You would be best off removing the parts from one box ie the damaged 3rd, then using the matching 3rd gears from the other box or visa versa with the damaged 4th in the other box
if they are good make sure you renew the bearings also
check the outer wrasse's of both main and input shaft end case bearings to make sure they have not spun in the casing
make sure 3rd, 4th hub, synchro is not damaged and sticking
also check the baulk rings for excessive wear
double check 3rd, 4th selector for damage as this is one of the biggest causes of failure in these boxes

New gears will cost you an arm and leg from Mr Nissan (around £450 for a pair 3rd gears) so add the bearing cost onto that and any other parts youll need and can work out very expensive even if a mates doing it for you.

Once hes pulled them apart drop me a message with anything you may need as I have spares in stock but there are some things we are short of too, I should however have a pair of matching 4ths and few other bits you may need but cant do these as a freebie unfortunately Ross as gearbox parts are quite sought after now.

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

4Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 11:26 am

wrc

wrc

That's no problem at all bob, again thanks for the advice.

By the sounds of it from you guys I am indeed better off making a franken-box out of these two to get me going.

Cheers guys.

5Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 12:24 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Make a good box out of the two and then sell the casing and other internals to help fund something else?

6Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 12:30 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

rebuild whichever box looks to have best condition gear teeth, with all the debris that come off stripped gears it needs good checking for damage .

7Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 9:31 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I would echoe Mr B's words about checking for debris damage.
If any debris went through the other meshes under load, they might have overloaded some teeth beyond their static and/or fatigue limit which would weaken them.
Any gear is only as strong as its weakest tooth.
I design and analyse the gears that go into Cummins engines in Daventry and if we get a gear failure like this during test, the whole geartrain is scrapped because it would be high risk to reuse any.
If you do re-use the gears i would check them for any signs of scoring up the flanks, chips at the tips and more importantly cracks in the tooth roots. Initial crack propagation may not be visible unless you use die penetrant.

8Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 9:33 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Sorry to hijack the thread but would getting the gears shotpeened be of any advantage?

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

9Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 10:27 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ It would if gears in good enough order to warrant the work/cost . needs be done by experienced professionals as peening gears correctly is very very skilled in equipment & operator .

10Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 19th November 2015, 11:37 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Intresting job cosmic .... had a quick look up of the company i didnt realise they do such a wide variety ....

11Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 12:43 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Does sound cool job, any staff in house services useful to your gtir build or gtir development in general ...

12Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 7:50 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I love the job, the tech center is on 3 floors and borders the production plant,
We also have gage labs, test cells, metallurgy, test rigs.
Its great because you have experts in every field on tap to help.
Gage labs is cool because we have state of the art CMM that inspect parts almost to a micron,
We do massive engines at Daventry, the ones that go into the largest mining vehicles;
http://www.vannattabros.com/adospics/kmsutrk.jpg

Regarding shot peening, we specify this on some critical crank gears.
it adds beneficial compressive stress to the gear root so when the teeth bend under load the tensile stress generated at the root is cancelled out. However if a crack is already there it wont heal it, it'll always be a weak spot.

Also like Mr B says, its a skilled job and the Shot size, arc length, intensity etc are kept secret. We use MIC and we simply spec their shot peen code on our drawing with the target compressive stress becuase they will not divulge anything else. How they achieve it is a mystery, but we know they do.
If its not done properly all you have is shot blasted gear, not peened.

By the way MR B, are you a mechanical engineer? You know your stuff.

13Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 8:54 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

He is only 10%  human ... the rest is made up with  dark matter and state of the art electronics .....
All that sounds way beyond my tiny brain cell however i still find it very intresting and always like to try and understand the in's and out's of it all ....

14Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 9:27 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

lol
On a good day I am .
It's good to love your job, sounds cool place with some useful in house services for your gtir lol .

15Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 9:31 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Some say that he sleeps with car books under his pillow and data logit plugged into his nipples at night Laughing

16Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 9:44 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ha ha, you're lucky i communicated with writing, usually its morse code..-..-..---..-..--.
lol!

17Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 9:57 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Stu wrote:Some say that he sleeps with car books under his pillow and data logit plugged into his nipples at night Laughing
All we know is he is called Mr B or due to his location should that be ladybB

18Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 10:05 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

^^^ hahaha

19Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 10:11 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I had some part supplier catalogues stacked up in bed other night, the wife not pleased, she was all lady last time I checked but I don't service/maintain her much these days lol .

20Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 10:17 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Hahaha you don't dip you stick to check the level much? Hahaaa

21Stripped gear... x 2 Empty Re: Stripped gear... x 2 20th November 2015, 10:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

As long as she runs quietly I leave it be. If get noisy I may give her a squirt of lubricant tongue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum