Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gear selection

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gear selection  Empty Gear selection 26th November 2013, 5:14 pm

GTIR James

Gearbox fault

Was out it my car over the weekend. As I pulled upto a set of traffic lights & put the car in neutral I heard a kind of clunk from the gearbox. I thought that's weird. I went to put it into 1st & the gear stick was already over by 1st gear & just needed pushing into first. I pulled over to see what was going on & it's pretty strange it selects all gears but the selector has lost it's resistance/springy ness over by 1st 2nd & 3rd.
If the selector is pushed over by 5th gear resistance/springy ness can be felt ( which is normal)
Now when you drive the car gears 1st & 2nd clonk in rather than slide in & 3rd is hard to find due no centralising of the gear stick. I've checked the linkage & spring & that's all good.
Has anyone had this before?
Gearbox was rebuild about 2,500 miles ago....................Rolling Eyes 

2Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 27th November 2013, 5:32 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

no idea tbh with you james, best bet is contact who ever built it, sorry cant offer any more advice

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 27th November 2013, 7:03 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

I would of had a better idea of what the problem was years ago but for the life of me I cant remember how it works inside the box now lol

I think if you put it in neutral then disconnect the linkage from the gearbox then put a screw drive through the bolt hole on the gearboxes selector, then push and pull it up and down it should want to spring back on itself and self center with a reasonable amount of force.

I will double check the above tomorrow but this should confirm if its an internal problem or not,which tbh sounds like it is.

It could be something as simple as the spring in this pic,i just cant recall if that spring has anything to do with it lol...

http://200sx.kicks-ass.net/robban_j/img4cbab0ed6a10a.jpg

4Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 27th November 2013, 7:25 pm

GTIR James

Not sure I will go down that route bob. Thanks anyway
Exactly what I'm thinking gtirx2. From what I remember with the gear linkage disconnected the collar on the box should centralise.
Thanks for the advise

5Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 28th November 2013, 3:12 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

Think i could be wrong about this,maybe i was thinking uno Embarassed

Its hard to tell atm as mine is on the floor but it feels like it has a tiny bit of side to side play with hardly any resistance,then when pushed over toward 5th and reverse there is a defined click over with it wanting to self return (springy).

I have got a small feeling that where there is no resistance is  inbetween 1st to 4th, so maybe the box does not self center and it is actually something on the linkage that gives it its feel between these gears.

That unless of coarse i also dont have a problem and am missing 2 gears Laughing 

I am going to have to look into a broken box now at somepoint and see if i can fiqure it out.

Last edited by gtirx2 on 28th November 2013, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 28th November 2013, 3:15 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

Oh and looking at the above spring pic again i actually think that could be for reverse Embarassed Laughing

7Gear selection  Empty Re: Gear selection 30th November 2013, 10:32 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

gtirx2 wrote:Think i could be wrong about this,maybe i was thinking uno Embarassed

Its hard to tell atm as mine is on the floor but it feels like it has a tiny bit of side to side play with hardly any resistance,then when pushed over toward 5th and reverse there is a defined click over with it wanting to self return (springy).

I have got a small feeling that where there is no resistance is  inbetween 1st to 4th, so maybe the box does not self center and it is actually something on the linkage that gives it its feel between these gears.

That unless of coarse i also dont have a problem and am missing 2 gears Laughing 

I am going to have to look into a broken box now at somepoint and see if i can fiqure it out.
I think the above is correct and the self centering and resistance you feel going over to 1st/2nd is made by the small spring under the gearstick?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum