Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

gear box help

+3
nomad
pulsarmoley
alanpratt1991
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1gear box help Empty gear box help 17th February 2013, 3:12 pm

alanpratt1991

hi need some help i have fitted a new gear box what i got off bob and a new clutch all is up and running but while its running i cant select any gears while the pedal is pressed down i am not sure if the gear selector is not lined up 100% but while its not running i can select a thew gears but not all of them just wondered if it is somthing simple like the gear selector needing more playing around with, some advice would be great please !!!!

2gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 3:16 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Did you disconnect the clutch slave? If so have you bled it?

3gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 3:43 pm

alanpratt1991

Did yes and have bleed it a lot gone through about a litre of fluid the doesn't seem to be any air in the system as the fluid flows out without any air

4gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 4:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Have checked the clutch release bearing .... see if you can look through the top to make sure its still sitting on the fork properly ....

5gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 4:47 pm

alanpratt1991

Yeah that's us all fine there is pressure there when I press the clutch just can't select no gears while its running

6gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 5:12 pm

With the handbrake on try starting the car in gear....then get back to us with what happens.

7gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 5:16 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Danny prob knows best but when I changed gear box I had to bless the system changed bits and then found out the last owner had adjusted the actual pedal for some reason (clutch worn etc) awkward job to do but that solved my problems! Basically wasn't letting the clutch wasnt getting full movement!

8gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 5:56 pm

alanpratt1991

I will try it and get back to you thanks

9gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 6:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What you thinking dan ..... i did a clutch change on my old rs had the same problem could select gears while car was off but when running it wouldnt go into gear wich led me to work out what happend while jiggering the box back on the release bearing come off the fork so had to drop the box back enough to pop it back in place .

10gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 6:53 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep if you cant select any gears its more than likely clutch fault, in other words the release bearing is not fully disengaging the driveplate when clutch is depressed

did you have any problems when installing the gearbox and getting it to go home on the splines?
ive seen clutch centre plates with a lot of damage due to peoples arms getting tired and leaving the gearbox hanging on the splines before they have another go at shoving it home

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

11gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:02 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

had similar prob in the summer on the way to the royal welsh show, car wouldn't go into gear turned back for home and found that the lock nut on the master cylinder (under the pedal) was loose and the master cylinder shaft was undoing, so wound the shaft back up and re tightened and had all the gears back, just a thought if the release bearing is fine.

12gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:08 pm

alanpratt1991

I didn't really have a lot of trouble putting it back on went on fine not too much of a struggle but what I will do is have another look at it and if I can't solve it then Will get up to you bob in the next coulle weeks and see if you can sort it ?

13gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:10 pm

Trying to find out if the clutch is dragging or not operating at all, as I have seen clutch plates put in the wrong way round!, if the clutch is dragging it can be any of the problems you have all said as well as a dodgy master cylinder, warped plate from bad installation.

14gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:21 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep no probs alan
whereabouts are you because if I get time I may pop over and have a look seeing as your fairly local

I take it that it goes into gear whilst the engines turned off?

15gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:27 pm

alanpratt1991

Oh right well I believe it was all put on the correct way, I have got it still up on axel stands and I can start it in gear and it starts and runs with the wheels moving but it won't let me select another gear don't know if that rules anything out ?

And yeah if you could bob would be a great help I'm only in wickford

16gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 7:49 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

bollox thought you was southend hockley way alan.
its deffo gotta be a clutch related problem then if she goes into gear whilst on axle stands

check the fork whilst someones depressing the pedal to make sure its moving right the way across, if it is then pull the rubber gator around the hole and shine a torch down there to make sure the fork is fully pivoting across and release bearing is depressing the springs on pressure plate

if not then its one of the following 'some as mentioned by others'

clutch slave cylinder leaking or air in hydraulic system
dodgy clutch master cylinder or incorrectly adjusted rod lengh
broken clutch pedal box where it bolts up to bulkhead (hense loss of pedal travel)2mm of movement equates to around 10mm at pedal end which is plenty enough to fook it up

17gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 17th February 2013, 8:00 pm

alanpratt1991

Right ok then I will do that thanks for your help I will get back to you

18gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 20th February 2013, 11:33 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

any joy with it alan?

19gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 21st September 2013, 5:05 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Did wee ever find out what was wrong with this as its been an interesting read but no conclusion ??

20gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 21st September 2013, 5:24 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes we did lol
I ended up buying the whole car off him

basically his mate worked in some engineering place and said that whilst the box was off he would get the flywheel skimmed for him.................big mistake Laughing 

took me a while to figure out what the prob was as clutch was dragging big time yet was a brand spanking new helix which was installed correctly.
so after staring at it I noticed the plonker had skimmed the flywheel but instead of doing the whole face he left the locating dowels fitted in the fly and only skimmed up to them (leaving a ridge of around 15mm from the edge which held the pressure plate further out than the drive plate) which caused a huge problem with the clutch being released when the pedal was fully down

he gave up on the car through g/f troubles so we just bought the entire car off him

21gear box help Empty Re: gear box help 21st September 2013, 5:38 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum