Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

loss of compression/power

+8
Gtirchris
nomad
gtir_woody
shroom
Stu
FPSChris
Mr B
luke s
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 6th December 2015, 9:05 pm

Gtirchris

Hmm, you would expect it to stutter if it was a fueling issue, but having said that it could well be a dodgy pump, especially if it has been sat for a few years as the pump may have corroded internally, try a new pump and filter, easy and most likely things first and all that mate.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

27loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 6th December 2015, 9:20 pm

luke s

Mike remember when the hose was off the fuel regulator it wouldn't pull maybe something like that?

28loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 6th December 2015, 9:22 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hoses are routed bit different now and it wouldn't play up after 20 miles only straight away...

29loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 6th December 2015, 9:26 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Gtirchris wrote:Hmm, you would expect it to stutter if it was a fueling issue, but having said that it could well be a dodgy pump, especially if it has been sat for a few years as the pump may have corroded internally, try a new pump and filter, easy and most likely things first and all that mate.

There is new filter on it and I'm thinking to suggest pump and I'd do straight feed from battery to pump (with all the relays obviously) and honestly don't know if it stutters cos bloody thing always run fine when I'm in it fuming duh

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

30loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 9:41 am

wrc

wrc

My first bet would be ignition amplifier breaking down under heat. All my gtir's I have put some thermal paste and a heat sink on them.

31loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 10:57 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Just asking was the bottom end all ok seems to me something tightening up. I think all the above would cause issues sooner than 20 min 40 min drives

32loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 11:53 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah agree with above

sounds to me as though some clearances may be slightly out with bottom end and engines getting tight when hot (just a possibility)
once it gets hot and the problem starts if you turn the engine off does it immediately start (crank over) at a normal rate or does it sound laboured when doing so?

Other thing it could be (if mis-fires are present when hot) is an ignition amplifier module overheating.

So depends on the above with regard to engine cranking speed when hot

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

33loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 1:24 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Riiiight correction car runs ok but after some driving starts to play up when boost comes on (just been informed properly) and when it's playing up starts ok no struggle and it's smooth struggle no missing just no power after 3k rpm

Last edited by Gostek on 7th December 2015, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bloody phone)

34loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 11:38 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Dodgy maf

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

35loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 11:45 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

GTI-R US wrote:Dodgy maf
I've put known working one on (was on my car for 6 months) I'll see car again Saturday I'm gonna put boost gauge on it and drive around till it'll plays up...
I've put something on fb too (big mistake) and one guy came up with maf plug, need to check it too, and obviously infamous knock sensor which I've got no idea how to test scratch

36loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 7th December 2015, 11:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Knock sensor won't cause car to splutter and die at 3k but it will drop boost to around .6 bar and pull around 2 degrees out of ignition from mid range to wot which will cause the car to feel sluggish and gutless. Timing is advanced when engine is cold so won't be so noticeable with power loss

Best way to test it is to put + side of multimeter on the pos side of sensor and the other side to earth, set meter to ohms and you should have a reading of no less than 5.58 megaohms if it reads less then good bet that the knock sensors knackered

Last edited by GTI-R US on 8th December 2015, 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

37loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 8th December 2015, 12:00 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I just love to chase intermittent faults  suicide I shall know some more Saturday...

38loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 8th December 2015, 12:05 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

GTI-R US wrote:Knock sensor won't cause car to splutter and die at 3k but it will drop boost to around .6 bar and pull around 2 degrees out of ignition from mid range to wot which will cause the car to feel sluggish and gutless.
To be honest that's what happening apparently, but would this stop after 5 min of cool down?? So basicly I need to check resistance on sensor at it should be more than 5.58 M ohm

39loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 8th December 2015, 12:24 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yep that's it in a nut shell Mike

After a 5 minute cool down I doubt it would make any difference tbh but sometimes these cars don't work along the normal lines of logic so you need to think outside the box if you know what I mean.

As I said earlier, what would affect that after a 5 minute cool down would be an overheating ignition amplifier module so that would be my first port of call if the knock sensor is found to be all ok.

I take it you have done a code check and its come up all clear?

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

40loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 8th December 2015, 6:08 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Defo needs sorting & full check on rolling road once basic issues resolved as much as possible as small fuel & ignition issues could kill piston again ... if ignition & maf rule out then fuel delivery wants a look at, from initial problem it hints at fueling being bad . pump/relay can play up when work harder/get hot then some cooling resolves issue to some degree.

41loss of compression/power - Page 2 Empty Re: loss of compression/power 8th December 2015, 12:58 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I haven't checked fault memory cos as far as I know pulsar dont store not present dtcs(i might be wrong) nut will do Saturday and I'll stick my amplifier on see how it goes. Car defo need sorting out it would be a shame to blow it up after all work I've done on it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum