Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Voltage loss

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Voltage loss Empty Voltage loss 10th April 2015, 10:39 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

If I didn't run my car for say 5 days the battery would be flat so obviously I had a parasitic leak through something. To start with I thought it was an earth problem as that was what I was reading but my mate came round and he knows his way around a multi meter and turns out the alternator was leaking power. He said the windings have a coating on them that over time and let's face it these cars are old now" anyway it breaks down and causes a voltage drain. Anyway he checked it out and showed me the alternator body was giving off a current, we disconnected it and the problem stopped so new alternator is on its way £91 delivered . Just thought I'd share this as May help someone in the future

2Voltage loss Empty Re: Voltage loss 10th April 2015, 10:57 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Thats good to know.
£91 for a new one tho.
Isn't there a compatible one?

3Voltage loss Empty Re: Voltage loss 11th April 2015, 4:24 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Decent recon exchange will be around £70 & up & any local auto elec shop will refurb them or have exchange.

A957 is a cross & you can get them in cheap makes for £50.

Brand new from Nissan is well over £300

Blueprint do it ADN11134

pulling a late sr20 100amp one from breakers is good option.

4Voltage loss Empty Re: Voltage loss 11th April 2015, 6:23 am

Thermal

Thermal

Thats about what I paid for mine, after I had a similar but more severe problem when I has smoke pouring out of the bonnet vents as the alternator had completely shorted and the main alternator wire caught fire, just managed to disconnect the battery in time, I now have a battery kill switch which I always use, I just don't fully trust 24yr old electrics.

5Voltage loss Empty Re: Voltage loss 11th April 2015, 6:40 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ must admit a kill switch can be pretty useful safety feature.
Alternator is one of those things that should get replaced at 20 years really as one awkward breakdown or short & it paid for itself really.
The cheap alternators are 5hite & most decent refurbs will be nearing £100.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum