Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alternator charging 17v ???

+3
gtirnick
mikewazowski
nomad
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 12:14 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

So as you can see my alternator is charging 17v. Ive recently extended the alternator cables in order to hide them and make my engine bay look neat.I dont know if its my fault and ive done something wrong ( i did double and triple check my wiring and its all fine) Could it be the batterys fault? my battery is really old and tired now.

I'll try to see what sort of voltage i get when i use all the electrics in the car and see if the voltage drops. Any other ideas why its doing that?

2Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 12:21 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

That does sound quite excessive typical reading from an alternater 13v -14.5 v ... where are you taking the reading from ???

3Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 12:25 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

straight from the battery terminals

4Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 12:39 am

gtirnick

regulator could be toast

5Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 4:37 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Had you tested it before doing the wiring? Or just after?

6Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 1:36 pm

Whytie

Whytie

Sounds like regulator, alternators make more than 14v but the regulator controls it so it doesn't not over charge the battery.

7Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 2:13 pm

johnboy

johnboy

And the regulator is built in to the alternator. Sad
It used to be possible to buy the regulators and swap it out in the alternator, but I don't know if it can be done on these ones.
Swap the alternator while you've got the aircon off..
http://www.howacarworks.com/electrical-systems/fitting-a-new-voltage-regulator

8Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 6:05 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes as above will be the voltage regulator blown
don't run the car with those volts going through it or it will fry your battery if it hasn't already done so

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

9Alternator charging 17v ??? Empty Re: Alternator charging 17v ??? 13th November 2014, 9:08 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Could it be because of a shitty connection somewhere on the ground or signal going to the alternator? I've done some work on the wiring so maybe its my fault ;/

Would any sr20 alternator fit my pulsar? there was a primera gt on my local scrap yard that ive spotted couple of days ago so i might rip the alternator out from it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum