Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Str motor sport gear box brace

+8
RO_SUNNY
GTI-R US
Gl3nnGTIR
gtir_woody
gtir_pimp
Greygtir
nomad
scotty6860
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 7:03 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Every photo is on google  Wink 

27Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 7:45 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

ducie54 wrote:
Mr B wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gtir+gearbox+endcase+broken&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NJ7WU4vJFYuE8gWS-oGABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1093&bih=696

There's always one forum clown that belives every photo is on Google.
Always one clown too lazy even look.
Mazworx had bellhousing end failure photos (layshaft bearing well cracked) & strengthening welded patch so do some searching on those keywords, If I find them I will add a direct link ...

Last edited by Mr B on 29th July 2014, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

28Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 8:12 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

My own opinion is that the only thing that can save your case....is either Mazworx or what the greeks have done to their Sunny Sedan (cast stainless case)....or just cuff the 5'th gear and put ball bearings

29Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:25 am

ducie54

ducie54

Mr B wrote:
ducie54 wrote:
Mr B wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gtir+gearbox+endcase+broken&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NJ7WU4vJFYuE8gWS-oGABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1093&bih=696

There's always one forum clown that belives every photo is on Google.
Always one clown too lazy even look.
Mazworx had bellhousing end failure photos (layshaft bearing well cracked) & strengthening welded patch so do some searching on those keywords, If I find them I will add a direct link ...

Did you even look at the pics you linked? Not one damaged bell housing end image. Only pic I could manage to find was of Todd gtirboy from Brisbane who after getting PAR gear set popped the case but was put down to an old broken gear tooth that got jammed. http://redlineau.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3341&start=380

Since my post was directed to Bob I was hopefully with his years of gtir ownership and work he may have taken pics of these issues.

If Mazworx had bell housing end failure was it caused by a over loaded lay shaft bearing? We're they using the std bearing or the upgrade cylindrical roller bearing? I haven't been able to find pics. Try contributing something useful.

30Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:33 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Really i found  3 pictures on the page ....???? And this being one of them ...
http://www.sr20-forum.com/gtir/2620-gearbox-nastiness.html

31Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:38 am

ducie54

ducie54

Do you know which end of the gearbox is the bell housing end?

32Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:38 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I am contributing, try being less of a jerk in response ...
Mazworx had ppg gearkit fitted at time, I believe they still had tapered bearings at time of incident, did have all details in a build/progress thread but unable find it anywhere.
Straightcut gears & roller or ball bearing conversion plus cryo treating casing along with some end casing bracing makes for a strong box & most will strip gear teeth before case failure.

33Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:40 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

ducie54 wrote:Do you know which end of the gearbox is the bell housing end?
Bell & end springs to mind when u post !
We all try and get along on this forum but your attitude isn't helping really is it ...

Last edited by Mr B on 29th July 2014, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

34Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:41 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

And please can you remember as much as all of us are entilted to express are opinions and am happy for all members to do so this is a friendly site not a keyboard warrior competition ... mr b has also many years of experiance working with pulsars same as bob .....

35Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:50 am

ducie54

ducie54

If I ask bob a question I don't expect a smart ass response from another member.

When I was talking to Mazworx about buying there case they were not keen on giving out too much info, last I was aware there were selling that box. I asked if they were going auto useing the x trail gear but he would not say. It's just like the pulstar build. Info disappears to stop people coping. There was another company that was going to make cases but could not get enough interest to make it worth while.

36Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 9:55 am

ducie54

ducie54

nomad wrote:And please can you remember as much as all of us are entilted to express are opinions  and am happy for all members to do so this is a friendly site not a keyboard warrior  competition  ... mr b has also many years of experiance working with pulsars same as bob .....

Agreed but if you post to be smart make it relevant. My question was directed to Bob.

37Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 10:17 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

ive not got pics as some time ago now, but have had one in where the input shaft bearing had popped right through, literally punched forward and knocked a hole clean through the front case but the guy was trying to burn out the tyres at the pod and paid the price for his lunacy.

other 2 ive seen have had cracked rear casings where layshaft has pulled away and hit rear tail case, one had punched a hole and the other had cracked but not gone through.

I know of other failiures but when you consider how many cars there have been worldwide over the years they are very far and few between

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

38Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 10:30 am

ducie54

ducie54

Thanks for the input Bob, the ones I've seen is where the cheap bearings were used which flogged out. This caused end float and cracked the case.

Do you guys over there use the brass caged cyclindrical roller bearings?

39Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 11:01 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

RO_SUNNY wrote:My own opinion is that the only thing that can save your case....is either Mazworx or what the greeks have done to their Sunny Sedan (cast stainless case)....or just cuff the 5'th gear and put ball bearings

So do we know if anyone is making the cuffs? Or just in prototype at the moment?

40Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 12:12 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

ducie54 wrote:Thanks for the input Bob, the ones I've seen is where the cheap bearings were used which flogged out. This caused end float and cracked the case.

Do you guys over there use the brass caged cyclindrical roller bearings?

no idea what people are using tbh other than the stock Nissan tapered bearings
I certainly would not have cheap bearings fitted especially if an uprated gearset was fitted, just not worth the agg and expense when it all goes tits up

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

41Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 1:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I've only done the PAR kit with roller bearings, have seen one straightcut ppg converted to ball bearing. Like you say excessive end float is big contributor to casing failure around bearing race well.
Mazworx welded a plate over the layshaft bearing well face & around input shaft but you don't have huge amount of clearance to do anything major here.

42Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 6:10 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

gtir_woody wrote:
RO_SUNNY wrote:My own opinion is that the only thing that can save your case....is either Mazworx or what the greeks have done to their Sunny Sedan (cast stainless case)....or just cuff the 5'th gear and put ball bearings

So do we know if anyone is making the cuffs? Or just in prototype at the moment?
what to block 5th ?

43Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 30th July 2014, 3:33 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

johnny gtir wrote:
gtir_woody wrote:

what to block 5th ?

Yup!

44Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 30th July 2014, 7:25 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I will send a e mail to someone now

45Str motor sport gear box brace - Page 2 Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 30th July 2014, 9:38 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks mate

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum