Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Str motor sport gear box brace

+8
RO_SUNNY
GTI-R US
Gl3nnGTIR
gtir_woody
gtir_pimp
Greygtir
nomad
scotty6860
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Str motor sport gear box brace 21st February 2014, 7:15 am

scotty6860

scotty6860

Has any used the str motor sport gear box brace and know if they help out

2Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 21st February 2014, 9:12 am

scotty6860

scotty6860

www.strachermotorsports.com

3Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 21st February 2014, 6:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I havent ..... i have seen him advertise stuff on the modifiers seems good quality stuff ....

4Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 23rd February 2014, 4:52 pm

Greygtir

I have one on the way

5Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 23rd February 2014, 6:23 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

how much are they?

6Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 23rd February 2014, 9:08 pm

Greygtir

You will have to ask him im buying bout 3000 euros worth of parts off him i got no idea how much

7Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 27th July 2014, 3:22 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

From memory the brace came with instructions (which I don't have). Would anyone have a copy? I'm chasing assembly instructions/ torque settings etc. If not I'll chase them down directly

8Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 27th July 2014, 7:52 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Str motor sport gear box brace Imagejpg1_zpsc3807fc9

9Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 27th July 2014, 7:53 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

That any good?

10Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 27th July 2014, 9:57 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Gl3nnGTIR wrote:That any good?

Thanks heaps mate! Pretty sure my brace was for a casing with m10 bolts, so I'll need to machine those funny looking bolts down lol (top right hand corner of the diagram)

11Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 27th July 2014, 7:12 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Why not just use fibreglass glove brace will do exactly the same thing and cost nothing like that.
Any of these braces won't save your gear set so can't see the point in spending a lot of money

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

12Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 10:33 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

GTI-R US wrote:Why not just use fibreglass glove brace will do exactly the same thing and cost nothing like that.
Any of these braces won't save your gear set so can't see the point in spending a lot of money

I haven't actually heard of using a fibreglass glove brace before? I thought the str brace helped with bracing the case when the gears tend to separate under load and which in turn puts extra pressure on the case leading to failure? I guess even with this brace when failure occurs the gearset is still destroyed? I have also heard of internal bracing but not sure thats widely available? Guess there are a lot of different opinions about this topic

13Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 10:46 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

You can use an internal brace like the Honda boys are doing (It's called gear cuff).....but you will not be able to keep the 5'th gear:)

14Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 1:34 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes your correct in saying the gear shafts pull apart which is much more likely with helical cut gears, the risk lessens the straighter the gearset is
even with the str brace fitted it will not save your gearset and the gearset can also punch through the bellhousing side of the box

that's why I say just make a fibreglass glove for the tail case end and this can be bolted in place by the 2 redundant threadings in the end of the case. it will do just the same job that a brace does and cost considerably less to do.

il be making another soon for my dogbox

read this then make up your own minds

http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t1788-diy-gearbox-brace-how-to-make

15Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 7:01 pm

ducie54

ducie54

Bob can you post any pics of the bell housing end punched out? Cheers

16Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 7:03 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gtir+gearbox+endcase+broken&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NJ7WU4vJFYuE8gWS-oGABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1093&bih=696

17Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 9:07 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Quick question - what sort of power/torque and what use would require gearbox brace

18Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 9:16 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

It would help with any. a lot is down to driver sympathy and age of gearbox etc.As with any brace it will help from zero to hero

19Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 9:16 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Obviously if you launch the car then there's a much higher risk of breaking the case no matter what Bho/torque your running
But obviously the bigger the power the higher the torque and much higher risk of causing damage

Don't forget the gearboxes and gear sets are old now as are the casings so it's a lottery as to whether they will break but I can honestly say in over ten years I've never broke a case (touches wood) but I very rarely launch one of these cars but I've seen 3 broken casings from cars we've had in the past

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

20Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 9:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As with what bob says no firm answer but I have launched my car for over a year on a standard box no problems at all then fitted my quaife and stopped launching . I broke a gear box on my other R just driving hard on a fast spooling turbo no launches. Broke another box just driving at really low speeds never launched or even driven hard at all done minimal miles but boxes have age against them and you never know ther past

21Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 9:33 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well I don't launch car either and don't do track days I'm running my r standard for 6 years now and newer had problem with my box... but this year I'm planing to reach magical 300 bph and I was wondering is there any lets call it 'known' threshold of those gearboxes/casings or is it purely history of use and luck

22Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 10:01 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

300hp is nothing but if the box or case has a fault or it's abused or mis-shifted it will break

I just broke my gtr box and that's not that old so can happen once you up the power to any car

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

23Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 28th July 2014, 10:07 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well so the time will tell  Smile thank for advice and sorry for hijacking post

24Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 4:28 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I really like the idea of the gear cuff and see how that would assist the overall problem, however no 5th would be super annoying for highway driving etc, I would be interested in trying it out. The fibreglass brace is a great idea and at minimal cost, definitely a good option aswell.

25Str motor sport gear box brace Empty Re: Str motor sport gear box brace 29th July 2014, 5:59 am

ducie54

ducie54

Mr B wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gtir+gearbox+endcase+broken&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NJ7WU4vJFYuE8gWS-oGABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1093&bih=696

There's always one forum clown that belives every photo is on Google.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum