Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

gear selection issue

+2
Stu
mc_hawkings24
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1gear selection issue Empty gear selection issue 29th August 2016, 6:04 pm

mc_hawkings24

I have a problem selecting gears on idle Sad
I can drive the car fine no problems it only gets difficult if i pull it out of gear then press the clutch back down and then i find it hard to get gears. I can get gears if i tried ramming it in but i try not to do that and try a few gears until i get One and then while i've got one i can go through all gears nicely but lift and push clutch down i can't get gears again.

I can however get all gears with the engine switched off.
I also found my clutch slave was leaking so thought "hey it's that" nope still can't get gears after i fitted a new one.

Clutch ball looks ok when looking down the clutch fork hole but abit hard to see really. New CC clutch couple of months back but could be a dodgy one?
Before i pull it out anyone got any ideas?

Hub syncro's?

Thanks

Last edited by mc_hawkings24 on 24th September 2016, 3:21 am; edited 5 times in total

2gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 29th August 2016, 7:35 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Sounds like input shaft bearing.
When you press and depress the clutch pedal in neutral with engine running does it come and go away when you press the pedal and release?

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

3gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 29th August 2016, 7:49 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Fingers crossed its the clutch release bearing,  Neutral
Input shaft bearing is a right fucker to change,  No

4gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 29th August 2016, 8:02 pm

mc_hawkings24

hard to say over the internet and conversations unless someone hears it. But it drives fine no crunching or engagement issues but it's if i purposely slip the clutch and make the car lurch forwards before it stalls you get this noise and feel it in the pedal. Not sure how many miles i've done on this clutch but maybe 500 but mostly motorway so not worn in maybe. I have changed the transfer box to modena diff and no noises in neutral but i will check tomorrow thanks.

5gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 30th August 2016, 12:57 pm

mc_hawkings24

So i drove it today and i do have a slight noise from release bearing but not outlandish. I checked for clutch drag but it's fine. Thinking release bearing or clutch and maybe not fully worn in yet so i think another few hundred miles on the friction plate.

6gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 30th August 2016, 4:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh I don't think it likely mainshaft bearings as would be hearing some noise from that all time or at least when on/off power without clutch operation involved .
Was clutch release new & was it jap bearing (blueprint or ntn sourced)

Was flywheel new or refaced as those ceramic pad discs hate an old flywheel .
I know a lot of people fit ceramic puk clutches on old flys & it bad practice but solid disc 8 pads like a new machined surface to bed in & work best .
8 pad CC needs good 500 miles to bed in & feel smoother in slippage .
they can make squeak/growning noises at times when slipping or dumping it fast with lot of rpm
fingers crossed it simple as you had enough odd hassle with brakes :-/

7gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 30th August 2016, 8:37 pm

mc_hawkings24

Well i sanded the flywheel when i put the stage 3 and never refaced it. It was fairly alright and before that was ACT clutch. Annoyingly i went to a mates earlier to show him but it wouldn't make the noise. I'll just drive normal and see what happens. Those brakes are a right ass though, not had any reply back about them yet

8gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 23rd September 2016, 6:50 pm

mc_hawkings24

Edited the thread with a new issue

9gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 24th September 2016, 12:42 pm

mc_hawkings24

Interesting i can get gears now but it's quite warm at the moment.

10gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 28th September 2016, 10:29 pm

mreguest

mreguest

when you say CC clutch do you mean competition clutches?

i found my CC pressure plate prongy things sat lower than a stock plate does so i had to adjust my master cylinder pedal thread longer by a fair bit to get gear changes properly...

it also shuddered like a bastard for ages as it was breaking in, on/off feel rather than smooth and took time for me getting used to the new biting point.

my disc is a star shaped one rather than a full circle. after a while i found the pressure plate was too heavy and decided I made a bad descision being a daily driver again, so I got rid of the heavy plate and went down to 'stage 1' but still got the star shaped disc. gear changes are lightweight again and my knee can take it daily...

I was gonna go big hence the fancy clutch but I chickened out and run standard power Sad

11gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 2nd October 2016, 5:46 pm

mc_hawkings24

Only just read your post mrguest. I took the box out earlier and found alot of friction plate dust and had hot spots on the copper surrounding the pads. I then looked at the release bearing and seemed ok then checking the pressure plate prongs and seeing the release bearing impression in them it doesn't look like it was sitting right so would explain gear selection if it's not entirely releasing.

Because i used the old release bearing i'm not sure i can get warranty on it but anyway i'll get some pics of it up. I put in an exedy stage 1 and it's nice and very light pedal and gears are no problems now Smile

12gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 4th October 2016, 9:26 pm

mc_hawkings24

gear selection issue Ayu3yq

So there you go you can see how the release bearings been sitting. I've looked at the bearing and compared it to a couple of new ones i have and seem's fine so not sure how it's done it.

13gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 5th October 2016, 9:14 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Worth a shot at getting supplier swap you a cover . Fit a new oem release bearing too as they cheap blueprint do them (same OEM nissan) bearing suppliers have them too .

14gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 6th October 2016, 6:12 am

mc_hawkings24

gear selection issue W7zgba

Pic of the friction plate pads. Think they could be saved with alittle sanding?

15gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 6th October 2016, 7:56 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

So is everything ok now?

16gear selection issue Empty Re: gear selection issue 6th October 2016, 8:44 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

They ok but want flywheel skimmed real nice or new, ceramic hate old fly surfaces, solid discs with pads like this being even more particular on good fly surface .
I know loads of people never skim and bang in a puk plate but it all down to wanting done quick over fact it acceptable practice . whether cover or bearing at issue no idea without looking but if can get company swap over cover it would be good way progress . Ideally wanted check cover fingers centralised with a stand and point when was mounted on flywheel, if that good then bearing or or something such as release fork likely off . Is possible cover pressure uneven so causes bearing sit off as pushing on very uneven fingers so blagging another cover if can rules it out totally, I not had issue with a CC yet and used a few on various cars .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum