Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oil Cooler need advice

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oil Cooler need advice Empty Oil Cooler need advice 22nd October 2013, 6:41 pm

weblizzer

Hello guys!,

Just need your input about adding oil cooler I read that it helps you a lot. well mostly like on my case as I'm located on asia pacific so it's gonna be quite hot here normally around 32Celsius. So was planning to put a oil cooler like 19 rows..

But had questions

1. Do I need to add extra oil?

2. Would it lower my oil pressure?

3. What hose can I use aside on the steel braided it's really quite expensive so i'm planning for alternative hose to be use.

Thanks

2Oil Cooler need advice Empty Re: Oil Cooler need advice 22nd October 2013, 8:44 pm

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

weblizzer wrote:
1. Do I need to add extra oil?

2. Would it lower my oil pressure?

3. What hose can I use aside on the steel braided it's really quite expensive so i'm planning for alternative hose to be use.
1. Yes, you will need extra oil. Are you planning on running an oil thermostat that only diverts oil to the cooler when over a certain temperature? Or will it always circulate through the cooler? Either way you'll need to add more oil, but you'd need to wait on the thermostat opening before adding the extra oil if you go down this route. Sometimes a thermostat is useful as it helps the oil reach operating temperature quicker, but adds complexity to the plumbing.

2. No, the system is a closed loop so will not affect your oil pressure (providing of course you don't run low on oil - i.e. see above).

3. I suppose any oil resistant hose that has an operating pressure up to around 10 bar (to give some overhead) will do fine. The benefit of braided lines is their resistance to kinking and damage. Are you located in the UK? Have you tried Torques_UK for the hoses? They are quite cheap and easy to deal with.

Hope this helps,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

3Oil Cooler need advice Empty Re: Oil Cooler need advice 23rd October 2013, 2:57 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Just buy a take-off plate with thermostat built in & plumbing is very straight forward.
For your region you may want a little larger cooler pending on actual mounting location & ariflow (fresh or secondary air).
Braided hose is not a real must & if you route the pipes well & use likes of nylon sheath coil wrap for any contact points all will be fine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum