Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turbo replacement

+8
11Paul11
nomad
mreguest
Concrete-GTIR
toaster55
Gaz GTiR
pulsarmoley
BEBB GTIR
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 11th June 2013, 5:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Shocked did you ask if that was the fitted price lol! thats what i said to the bloke behind the counter at nissan when he said it was 50quid for the cv gator i said i didnt want it fitted thanks the miserable bastard didnt even crack a smile ..... lol!

27Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 11th June 2013, 8:05 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

LOL Razz should be fitted price, spent about 5 hours modifying the damn thing, one of the oil pipes is a different size fitting, had to loosen the compressor and exhaust housing to turn the middle round 45 degrees Mad will still need a couple of hours of tinkering before I fit it. will hopefully be worth it in the end better performance and peace of mind Cool

28Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 11th June 2013, 8:31 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sounds like fun mate are you going for braided lines instead of the standerd pipework?

29Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 11th June 2013, 8:48 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

not cheap £850 is 850 but sounds cheaper than my one when i bought it of them. mine bolted straight on ?

30Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 11th June 2013, 9:25 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep that's the going rate now for a 2860
ive seen them dearer than that, think I paid over a grand for my 2871r and I still needed an uprated actuator and needed to modify the bracket.
bloody thing only lasted a year aswell lol, well 1850 miles to be precise

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

31Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 6:00 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

ill try and stick to standard pipework if possible Smile

32Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 4:22 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

My 2860 lasted no time at all at 1.4 bar edd mapped the car and we did not push the turbo

33Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 4:53 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

True dan no i bought one with new turbo like you suggested but i think mine was related to heat on the plastic housing again went for the upgrade. Next question i know this has been covered lots but if you dont mind reminding me please. Going to buy a 3071r soon from owen developments ar size ? Inlet size ? Again are the two main things bearing cage upgrade and in line oil filter ? Anything else i need re actuator  for example ? What might i come accross when fitting ?

34Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 5:28 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

what sort of inline filter do you use/need dan? and wheres the best place to get one?  Cool

35Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 5:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I see you can get an inline filter with or without a restrictor  ....

36Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 5:43 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

will have a look dan 

when I ordered the turbo they wanted an extra £150 to disassemble the turbo and replace one of the washer/seals or something but I chose not to for obvious money reasons

37Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 5:53 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

cant find anything dan on owen developments unless its me  scratch

also wheres the best place to fit the filter, does it need changing regularly?

cheers

38Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 6:11 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I couldnt find anything either scratch

39Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 6:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats not to bad i seen them on ebay for around 15 quid ....either with full bore or a restrictor in it .

40Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 7:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Some of the ones on ebay are around 100mm bearing in mind that includes the fittings i would guess the filter is around 60mm how big are the owens ones just out of intrest ?

41Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 8:42 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah i saw it said 40 mircons .... so thats the measure of filteration then .... i saw even k and n do the alot more expensive though at around the 50 mark .

42Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 10:01 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

BEBB GTIR wrote:will have a look dan 

when I ordered the turbo they wanted an extra £150 to disassemble the turbo and replace one of the washer/seals or something but I chose not to for obvious money reasons
Was it not upgrade on the bearing case have you not seen the thread on gtiroc and i experianced it first hand that 150 quid would in my opinion saved or should i say at least significantly prolonged the life of your new turbo

43Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 10:09 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Is the restrictor put in to stop the oil passing through the turbo too quickly?
40 micron is small, that's about half the thickness of a human hair!

44Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 10:11 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Why dont they just make them man enough not to break in the first place  without all the chuffing about paying for extra bits that should be done in the first place scratch

45Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 10:15 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I could be way off the mark but i think its garret at fault and owen developments have come up with the solution so  again a guess probably trying to make money back from there development of the solution plus the cost of the metal housing and time to fit it etc

You would think garret would not want a bad name but they probably blame running to much boost creating no more power just heating the turbo and melting the plastic bearing housing

46Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 12th June 2013, 10:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah but if owen developments put there name to it .... you would think they would just get them in replace the shit bit and just add the price on top of  as standard .

47Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 13th June 2013, 6:06 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

johnny gtir wrote:
BEBB GTIR wrote:will have a look dan 

Was it not upgrade on the bearing case have you not seen the thread on gtiroc and i experianced it first hand that 150 quid would in my opinion saved or should i say at least significantly prolonged the life of your new turbo

I agree with you johnny but I know in the past big companies will flog you anything for extra cash and usually its all a waste of money. I didnt fancy owen dev stripping a brand new turbo, and its not like garret are unknown almost every sports car built in the last 20-30 years has garret fitted.

also the cars only a summer/sunday car so wont be doing over 2k miles a year if that  Shocked if it was an everyday/track car I would upgrade the turbo along with almost everything else on the car

48Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 14th June 2013, 7:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

fair play not having a go  just saying if i knew about both the filter and bearing cage i would of had them if i knew what would happen.I was like you thinking not more money on top of the price inc fitting extra bits inside a new item surly its made for the job  and thought i would buy new so i could look after and know the history of the turbo. i looked after mine an 2000 max miles later its broke alot of money gone and quotes of upto 600 quid for to rebuild

49Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 14th June 2013, 8:41 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Does the new gtx series still use the crap bearing cage then .....?

50Turbo replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Turbo replacement 15th June 2013, 7:35 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

well sent the turbo back to have the uprated cages. better to be safe than sorry Cool and if it does still fuck up then it;; be the last garrett i ever buy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum